SF90 - Bloatware Steering Wheel??? | FerrariChat

SF90 - Bloatware Steering Wheel???

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by XSpeed, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I'm quite disappointed to see the sleek Ferrari steering wheel has evolved to a bloatware with many touch controls.

What happened to "Hands-on-steering-wheel-eyes-on-road" philosophy?

Or am I too old school?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    At least customers who order a red/white/yellow tach won't be disapointed when their dealer forgets to verify it on the order.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Agreed on wheel. Different feelings for different items. Maybe they did do it right? It will be interesting to feel in hand.

4. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    You won't be able to.

5. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    What was wrong with the old Red Start-Stop button??

And I didn’t see the Steering Wheel mounted LEDs anymore, which probably means they moved it to the main LCD screen like McLaren.

Both are a step backward for me.

6. m3the01

m3the01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009
    Hampton, NH
    Pretty disappointed, if Ferrari was known for have good quality buttons, controls, etc that wouldnt be such a problem but they just mass produce and feel very fragile. Now with all this added gizmos it just seems it will be more to break. I wonder how much more they can add to the steering wheel?

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    it all looks and feel like in my Range Rover, which is perfect for a Range Rover but not in a Ferrari..... :(

8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I love the steering wheel. Very 21st Century and just the sort of advance I like. You would soon get used to the placement of the buttons on the wheel and in time, and with use, I think it would lead to a much more eyes on the road approach to driving. Sadly. as most of these will probably not get driven much, the owners are unlikely to become proficient enough in the use of all the buttons, so that does rather blow my theory out of the water!!!

9. m3the01

m3the01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009
    Hampton, NH
    Pretty embarrassed with this post, good lesson in not to multitask too much. The gist of my previous reply is that as you move away from the core components of a ferrari, i.e engine, brakes, chassis, the misc items are not well engineered and farmed out in limited qty and quality is rather lacking as Ferrari just doesnt mass produce anything. Furthermore, i am a big fan of simplicity, too many functions on the steering wheel for my taste. Im still interested in this car if she comes in sub $700k, at a reasonable build, but that would require a base price of $550-550k. Im nervous about the added components and longevity, i can just see the warranty extension costs, e.g. v8 turbo, v12, v8 turbo hybrid ($10k+) :-(.

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I like it. Tech is good... and is expected in a super car.

If you want a more visceral experience, buy something older with a stick shift. Which isn't better or worse IMO, just a different experience.

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    When I test drove Porto, I hated the turn signals on the wheel, as well as the profusion of buttons - vs. my Cali - on the steering wheel. When I thought about it more, I think my biggest issue was more along of the lines of what was said here, I just did not have enough seat time for familiarization with the new set-up. In the Ferrari press release it says...

"The track-derived “eyes on the road, hands on the wheel” philosophy takes on a truly central role for the first time too, significantly influencing the ergonomics and styling of the interior. The result is an HMI (Human-Machine Interface) and interior layout concept that are a complete departure from previous models.

Another major innovation is the steering wheel which now has a touchpad and a series of haptic buttons that allow the driver to control virtually every aspect of the car using just their thumbs. The central instrument cluster is now entirely digital with the first automotive application of a 16” curved HD screen which can be fully configured and controlled using the controls on the steering wheel. "

I have to agree with this philosophy. With all the distracted drivers on the roads, I loathe having to lower my eyes for a second to futz with the TFT, switch between Comfort/Sport mode, check engine temp, etc. Along with the HUD, when this tech filters down to other Ferrari, this will be a great thing IMO...T

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    When it starts to rain be sure not to turn off all the nannies whilst you fumble for the wiper switch right next to the Manettino ! Could be a bit painful.;)

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think the wheel is a good development. It felt great in hand and looked pretty clean considering they claim over 90% of all functions can be handled without taking your hands off the wheel. You can notice a toggle button for full screen. This is interesting too. You can put the satnav to the whole screen with speed and modes on the edges as shown below. There are many such innovations and developments for this car, not really talked about here yet. Oh, and the HUD makes this even more sensible. I didn’t see it but I guess rpm and speed are on the HUD?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Night View Assist?

15. Jazagy

Jazagy Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Having to watch out subconsciously or change year long driving habits not to gently touch a touch button placed right beside your thumb is really really an annoying idea.
    Its just cost cutting and make itblook cool move...

16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I’m excited about one thing. Looks like there will be no sticky button.

njcycleguy and tekaefixe like this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Why that price cap?

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Less has always been more - a steering wheel making you to take your eyes off the road to activate buttons which should be placed in positions where the hands can use feel without having to look is the best solution. This wheel is gimmicky, form (subjective) without function (clearly).