SF90 Interior space for large human being | FerrariChat

SF90 Interior space for large human being

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by 360spydr, Apr 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2010
    Reno/Tahoe NV, Seattle WA and Portland OR
    Full Name:
    KJ
    All,
    I’m looking for people with “actual” experience sitting in and/or driving an SF90. As I posted on another thread, my love affair with open air Ferrari's continues and I just put a deposit down on an SF90 spider. Having come up through the Mondial T Cab, 360 Spider, 430 Spider, 458 Spider and my current 488 Spider, I have some experience.

So here are the questions for feedback and comment:
    - How does the SF90 interior space compare with any/all of my previous cars? Obviously, I have a baseline, but no specific experience with the SF90.
    - at 6’5” and 260 lbs, I’ve always been headroom, leg room and footwell space challenged. Anyone of similar “size” (yes, I know size varies with leg/torso) have a feel for the SF90?
    - in all of my cars, my head just barely touches the roof. I usually order the carbon sport seats to increase headroom (I didn’t on the 430 spider and it was worse). I can live with that as the top is down 90%+++. Any experience on headroom comparing the SF90 (or expectations for the spider) to other F cars?

I would appreciate any and all constructive feedback which doesn’t involve cutting off body parts . I don’t fit in most F cars (I’ve wanted a Testarossa since I was middle school, but it’s not to be)

My dealer is awesome and is arranging for me to sit in a client SF90 soon and I will attend the SF90 spider launch event at the store. That won’t take place for another month or two, so....

2. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I test-drove an SF90, am 190cm and it just worked for me. I found the cabin actually small for my length, would not have expected that at my hight it would feel cramped. But it is a very nice cabin to be in and spectacular car to drive. It is on my bucket list for the coming years.

3. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2010
    Full Name:
    KJ
    Thanks for the post and feedback. At 6’5”, my converter tells me I’m right around 195cm +/- Do you think you had 5cm to 6cm of space above your head?

4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It may be a tight fit

Suggest the racing seats without lifter.

Also not sure how much smaller spider will be relative to coupe.

I am sure you’ve sat in the demo seats. In the end two 6 5 people aren’t the same. Torso length vs leg length etc.

I imagine your inseam is 35-36
    And arm length is 37?

Those kind of things. You know I’ve gained weight and were I sit in my racing seats has changed. So my function leg length is longer but more angular. Best best is see t the lunch flyer hours or before the launch when the car gets there. Back to the treadmill for me.

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Optimistically watching this thread... I'm 6'5" as well and had to cancel my 458 Spider order years ago because I sat in a customer car and my head was touching quite a bit the roof. Had to switch to a Cali T so the seat could recline more.... hopeful the SF90 won't be the same!?!?

6. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2010
    Full Name:
    KJ
    I "always" buy the carbon sport seats as they save 1/2" to 1" depending on car. I fit OK in my 458 spider and my new 488 spider. The 430 spider had Daytona seats and really didn't fit, I just never put the top up.

Next weekend I've an offer to drive the coupe, so I should have feedback after that.

7. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2010
    Full Name:
    KJ
    OK, so I test drove the SF90 at the Ferrari Challenge event this weekend. And the answer is “maybe.” I drove a coupe with the Asetto Fiorano package including electrically adjusted carbon racing seats (I didn’t know those existed, only height adjust) and I fit well enough todo a 30 min test drive, it was fine actually. However, sitting in the SF90 spider with fixed carbon seats and the roof up wasn’t good. It hits the top of my head.

Your mileage will vary as everyone is built differently. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MikeR397 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Lifter? Some say without it you gain clearance with the seat lower. I cannot comment but I’m concerned s well. Where was the event?COTA?

9. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2010
    Full Name:
    KJ
    Event was at Sonoma Raceway California. I need to figure out if it was difference in the two seats or if it was the spider roof. Arrgghhh

10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Which seats? Assume XLsize?

11. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2010
    Full Name:
    KJ
    The event had three SF90s (Two coupes and a spider). One AF coupe with carbon racing seats (interestingly, the SF90 price selector doesn’t seem to have a seat size spec has in previous cars). The AF coupe seats had an electric motor lifter (up/down). I test drove this car with the seats all the way down. I fit fine in the this coupe. Test drive was great. The spider wasn’t offered to drive, but it also had carbon racing seats. However, the spider seats didn’t have the lifter. Put the top up on the spider and it hits me head (picture above).

so, i fit fine in the AF coupe, but not in the AF Spider....was it the seat difference or the spider roof difference.

anyone with insight, info would be greatly appreciated.

12. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I’m 6’6” and 285lbs. Just drove a sf90, sorry to say, don’t fit. More importantly, don’t fit at all with a helmet which makes it more than moot for me.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I am the same height, and about 265lbs. Which cars do you fit in? Just trying to get a sense of dimension. Everyone big dude is built a little differently. I am pretty balanced between torso and legs.

14. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2010
    Full Name:
    KJ
    I’ve had a love affair with open air Ferraris....Mondial T cab, 360 spider, 430 spider, 458 spider, to current 488 spider. I “fit” in all of them, but always had carbon fiber racing/sport seats to buy 3/4 to 1” headroom. 90% of the time, top was down....I bought the 430 spider with Daytona seats (not carbon racing seats) and it was uncomfortable, but doable for brief runs with the roof up. All others were fine (meaning my hair brushed the roof, but my neck wasn’t bent). I did a 10 hr 600 mile drive in the 488...

now, as you say every “dude” is built differently, so your mileage may vary. Hope that helps.

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  15. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Could you remove the seat mechanism on the driver’s, and attach the seat directly on the floor? That could get you some room. I did that with my 1966 Shelby 427SC. Otherwise I would look over the top of the windshield. Just reinstall the mechanism if you ever sell the car.

16. 360spydr

360spydr Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2010
    Full Name:
    KJ
    I have thought about the same thing. The floor likely isn’t level, so you’d have to have small “spacers” machined to match the contour of the seats with the floor. In the end, I’ve decided to either do that or live with the fact that top up driving is for limited emergency distances only. SF90 spider deposit stays in place I guess

17. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Tasty. I look forward to seeing your spec.

18. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    #18 Cocoloco, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    Reading thread as I spec Spider - does seat lifter add or take away head room?
    6'2 210 I sat in the seat at the dealer - perfect.
    Racing carbon seats Speciale 16M again perfect.