SF90 v 296 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SF90 v 296

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m debating ordering a 296 with the idea I won’t get the car until 2023. Only thing now stopping me is I’m in love with my 992 TTS. It’s truly fantastic as a near daily. And I love the 765 LT even more AND I’ll have a new Z06 C8 around then. But perhaps there is a space for it in the garage Bc I agree I love the appearance. I want to drive the car first though, most likely. That probably pushes me to a 2024 car……

2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Other than it might be a little more socially acceptable to daily a 992 (and I do), I can’t see any way the 296 is not going to be a more rewarding car to own and use, given how sweet it looks and what I know of the SF90’s hybrid drive, which is brilliant.

Caeruleus11 and willcrook like this.
  3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Or, a self-driven Tesla. :eek:

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Garbage, not comparable.

IceRain29, JAM1 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The socially acceptable use factor is really what I’m referring to. I still have to be careful somewhat about what I drive to work and what I see clients in. A 911 is ok. A Ferrari just a little too much.

Caeruleus11, c8spidey and Lukeylikey like this.
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    or you could find a Lusso without fender shields in Grigio Silverstone...;)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd go further than that. If speed is the only thing that matters, buy an ultima RS, fit a Katech LT5 supercharged engine, fit a AMR eletric engines and fit to the front wheels for ultimate traction...1600 hp in a car weighing 1100kg for 150K.

Luckily most people can see past the early acceleration and know there is more to a car than just that...

9. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I totally understand and get where you are coming from with clients. I work from home so I have a totally different situation.

In terms of socially acceptable, after being unexpectedly presented with death several times in the last 5 years, I really don’t care anymore and drive everywhere. But not somewhere where it will reinforce a poor person’s poverty.

Napoli, paulchua, Solid State and 5 others like this.
  10. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I have no dog in the fight, but I think the SF90 is mostly ugly and the 296 is beautiful. I think the SF90 will age very poorly, while the 296 will not. but in terms of driving, yeah I would want the SF90 lol

11. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    why Ferrari has flooded the market with new models nowadays? Does it make sense?

12. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Saw the 296 in person yesterday - in terms of looks and sound it is not even in the same league, compared to the SF90.

Boomhauer, Rrr1, D11 and 1 other person like this.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    LOL at the watch flex above....it's like the dude version of ducklips...

sjd

grak, Midnight Oil, SirTony76 and 2 others like this.
  14. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've got a deposit on both. I'm really not liking the 296 looks as much as I had hoped, while the SF90 keeps looking better and better to me.

JJ77 likes this.
  15. Divexxtreme

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    REALZEUS likes this.
  16. Divexxtreme

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nah. It's essentially the same thing as car flex.

17. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    1. Money
    2. Money

This was always going to happen when they went public, unfortunately.

day355 and rumen1 like this.
  18. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    I was in love early with the SF90 Spider - one of the few Spiders with the top up that I feel, as well as a few others on this forum, actually looks better than the Coupe. With Spider orders following Coupes I decided to order a Coupe as a short term car for me until my Spider arrives later next year. I have a deposit on the 296GTB as well but per the thread, driving impressions aside, speaking only design wise, the wheelbases differences to me make the design of the SF90 so much more aesthetically pleasing. I’m sure both are incredible to drive, my SF90 Coupe is arriving in a few weeks so I will be able to comment on that one, but road presence wise, I don’t think the 296 will compare to the SF90. The real question is, if you are in the SF90 camp on the design or added power/performance is whether or not it is worth a ~$200K more to you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

JJ77 likes this.
  19. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Sorry for the double post of the image

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Views from my family about our SF90 have been interesting. The style police (I have four grown daughters) gave it very positive approval. “You can see this is a cut above your other Ferraris”. Better than even the Speciale? “It’s different and at least as nice. But it looks very expensive, more expensive, was it?”

Took my son in it this weekend, he’s young but has driven our Speciale and GT2 RS under instruction at track days (not on the road). He said, “first time I’ve been in here. This is a real step up on your other cars”. Why do you think that? I asked. “Because the design, materials, thought that have gone into this seem more than your other cars. This was more expensive than the others, it must have been. £600k?” Not quite but not too far off. “Dad, that’s a lot of money….” He’s right on both counts.

The SF90 appearance is fantastic and it creates much more drama than I expected. Its appearance fits its price and the reaction has supported that, from family to public. I took it to a restaurant in a large city we have been going to for 40 years, since I was a boy. It is in a quiet part of the city so I often take Ferraris or Porsches there, in fact always. On this occasion, crowds were gathering around the car, taking photos, then dispersing and more people coming. I could see it from inside and people were behaving politely (nobody sprawling over the bonnet for a rude selfie). On the drive in to the city people were overtaking me, risking speed camera fines, to film a drive-by on their mobile phones. Truthfully, I don’t begrudge it because I feel privileged and blessed to be able to own these cars so I usually feel happy to share. But I’ll think twice before taking this car there again. It attracts more attention than any car I’ve ever owned, which includes some very nice ones. I prefer without too much attention but it supports the instincts of my family - this car is a cut above all the other Ferraris, including the 296. It is the spiritual successor to the Testarossa in that regard.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    The attention a Ferrari garners has a lot to do with the colour. An SF90 in a special 3/4 layer Rosso will stand out much more than a more subdued Nero Daytona one. An 812SF in a nice Grigio will not attract too much attention but mine in Rosso Fuoco gets a totally different reaction. The general public are very clueless on Ferraris and on the whole can't differentiate between different models however in a bright expensive colour they really stand out.
    However for some inexplicable reason the SF90 has much more presence than pretty much any other Ferrari apart from the LaFerrari.

22. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Judging by Lukeylikey post above you, hardly inexplicable..

Lukeylikey likes this.
  23. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have said this before on your other thread, I saw a SF90S on the road the same day as a Pista and SF90S is clearly more exotic looking than the Pista (or any other non-hypercar Ferrari). This has the shock and awe factor or a Lamborghini while still retaining the smoothness of Ferrari DNA. IMHO the design is bang on target from a product placement POV in the segment that it exists in.

perrinnation, Lukeylikey and JJ77 like this.
  24. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I personally don't like the styling at all of the sf90 but it absolutely has road presence

cesman likes this.
  25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    With real 296 drive reviews just out how is it received by lucky SF90 owners?