SF90 vs McLaren Speedtail | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SF90 vs McLaren Speedtail

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by FerrariFR33458, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nor does McLaren. You know as well as I do, if McLaren wanted to take part in that game, they would not do it with a 400 kph car. It's just the natural progression of the huge power numbers we see. The LT cannot be considered a top speed effort car only - far from it in fact. McLaren is 100% aware of where the top speed game is currently at, so they know well that the LT is not a contender. In other words, 400 is the new 300.

What I mean is that there's a natural progression where these speeds just become part of the equation. Ferrari might not be interested in top speed and won't measure the top speed, but they are most definitely fully engulfed in the horsepower wars. Considering the fact that the SF90 is a 1000 hp monster already, I don't think its far fetched to say that it will be quite a bit more than that. 1200+ hp? The SF90 moved the benchmark for how far the LaF has to set self apart front the rest of their line. Had they not done a 1000 hp SF90, it would have been easier to do a 1050 hp car and say it's great because it's 100 hp more powerful than the LaF. Not so now. For it to be a proper halo car, it needs to be fast, powerful and loud. Like the LaF, it's going to represent the brand for the next ten years after its launch, so it damn well be up to par.

Don't forget that no matter how much they might deny it, Ferrari is very interested in what McLaren does. I don't think they care one bit about Lamo, but they sure as hell care a lot about McLaren and what they do. I may be mistaken, but I do believe there would not be an F8 without the 720S - and I've heard that from insiders as well.

Times likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am sorry but I don't see where you disagree with what I said. The Speedtail is meant as a 400 kph hypercar. I don't really see how it moves the game on.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What I'm getting at is that I think the Speedtail is capable of other tricks than just a 400 kph run. And back in the 90's the cars that handled well were all of a sudden also 300 kph capable. It seems as now the cars that handle well will be 400 kph capable.

When 400 kph was the goal for the speed record, the handling cars ran 300. Now the goal for the speed record is 500 kph and the handling cars are apportioning 400 kph.

I don't think McLaren would seen any benefit in launching a 400 kph hypercar that could not perform on track, it is not in their nature. Even back in the days of the F1, while it had the sped record, it was also one of the best cars for the track. I think the Speedtail is a hypercar that will be blisteringly fast on the track with great cornering and breaking abilities, and as an added "bonus", it is 400 kph capable.

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How can one drive the speedstail on a twisty road? I cant- useless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    [QUOTE="Il I don't think McLaren would seen any benefit in launching a 400 kph hypercar that could not perform on track, it is not in their nature. Even back in the days of the F1, while it had the sped record, it was also one of the best cars for the track. I think the Speedtail is a hypercar that will be blisteringly fast on the track with great cornering and breaking abilities, and as an added "bonus", it is 400 kph capable. [/QUOTE]

The F1 was wayward. I guess that the Speedtail will be a bit better, but McLaren's track car is the Senna.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This you have to explain.

The car is yet to hit the streets, it's based on the 720S platform afaIk, and it is pretty light for a hybrid. Exactly why would you not be able to drive it on a twisty road? The Kardashian rear end should net make this difficult.

BOKE likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not saying the Speedtail is their "track car". I said it will be fast on the track, which I think it will.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’d self explanatory a car this big can simply only be used on track. Already the ff is too big for small twisty roads; this has one purpose and one purpose only speed ;track speed. The 720s is much shorter , nimble. I’m sure ull ha e more fun with a 4C, a 355, a 360 than this huge boat on a backroad with hairpins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Length isn't really a matter, width is. That said, all supercars are large.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Is the wheelbase and track that much different from the 720S?

BOKE likes this.
  11. Ohanoune

Ohanoune Karting
    BANNED

Sep 29, 2016
    Paris/ Milan/ Dubai
    The SF90 is not exactly beautiful <<< So u finally admitted it ;) It's not a beautiful car especially from the rear end, I guess a spider version might fix the whole mess. I hope.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ohanoune, you are what we call in the UK, a tool.

TheF1BOB, stavura, fil and 3 others like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Finally? Hate to break it to ya,, but that's old news.

I've said all along that I don't think the SF90 is what I consider the most beautiful Ferrari. But that is not the same as saying I consider it ugly or a mess. I think overall it's a nice car, and I think it is well in tune with Ferraris current design language - which I happen to like quite a bit.

You need to get up earlier than that to catch me in the cookie jar:)

Cigarzman, Ohanoune and BOKE like this.
  14. Ohanoune

Ohanoune Karting
    BANNED

Sep 29, 2016
    Paris/ Milan/ Dubai
    Me too I only hate the rear end, I love the front and the interior, but IMO the rear-end looks horrible (UNBELIEVABLE), as if there is some1 who designed the front and someone else from a very different manufacturer (CHEVROLET) designed the rear-end. I though you think it's the most beautiful Ferrari etc ;)

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Fezza wins because doesn’t make you want to pour petrol on your eyes and light them on fire. Next!

stavura and fil like this.
  16. SFNINETY

SFNINETY Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Hennessey
    The Gordon Murray Automotive T50 looks like a half finished pond FROG. And Peter Stevens voiced his reservations.

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I believe my comments were prior to all the video coverage of the car. The styling is good. The reason one might get an odd impression of proportions from 2d rather than seeing it in person is because of the scale of the car. It’s the size of a cayman. Therefore the headlights and green house are slightly larger in proportion because of the overall scale.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How long is this speedtail thingy? Do you need to put it in a garage meant for a schoobus?

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, aside from the silly 60's Batmobile jet motor hanging out the back I think its rather attractive, but not earth-shattering in the looks department.

It is however an engineering marvel. Its interesting that of the 100 T-33's that will be made, only 3 percent are being ordered with an F 1 box. All others are manuals.