SF90 vs. Tesla Roadster | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SF90 vs. Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by TheBigEasy, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    #26 kbaillie, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Using the same argument that’s been made for the past decade+ with exclusive historical precedent for being 100% inaccurate? Please do tell, who’s head is in the sand? ;)

In all seriousness, none of us have a crystal ball. They could flourish, they could get bought, they could go under. But why hate on the innovative underdogs who are producing great cars unless, of course, you happen to be $TSLAQ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09Scuderia likes this.
  2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I don’t hate Tesla just don’t see it as a viable company that is all. Pretty impressive what they have built but someone needs to buy them so they can survive.

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That’s because they are broadly standard batteries, 12v about 80-100amps and broadly all the same in physical size. The battery in your etype will more than likely fit in a million other cars with the only limit being physical dimensions.

Batteries for ev cars...Prius for example is 114v, Tesla is 375v...leaf is 403v... you get the idea!

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yes, that's a fair point, but I doubt that the factory will stop supporting its vintage cars.

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    That really couldn't be more over simplified and inaccurate if you tried

Solid State likes this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Ohh gawd... Yup everyone who doesn't cheerlead Elon musk is a short.

Grow up

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol

Ya... Because you can get batteries for things that are out of production easily right?

5 year old laptop batteries are super easy to get...

crinoid likes this.
  8. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Grow up?!? Isn’t that why we own Ferraris: so we *don’t* have to grow up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOKE and 09Scuderia like this.
  9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ok... Then I guess could say pull your head out of the Tesla forums conspiracy theories... They are right their next to flat earthers.

Tesla's fundamentals are terrible for the business and the stock was extremely over valued. With 12 year head start they blew their lead and it will take much longer for Tesla to catch up to it's reasonable level of multiple.

The enthisasts own the cars and the shares. To get more they need the realists.

The realists are here and they have brought reality.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Did you just compare a £500,000 Ferrari to a £500 laptop?

Jaguar36 and F2003-GA like this.
  11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For ****'s sake man, Ferrari already has an entire department dedicated to keeping obsolete cars running: https://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sports-cars-models/past-models/

Have you never heard of it? Do you think they will just drop support for the SF90 in 20 years and exclude it from service? Ferrari will keep every single car they make running for as long as some idiot wants to cut a big enough check.

And yes, 5 year old laptop batteries are easy to get. Apple sells them for 6 years directly LOL

REALZEUS likes this.
  12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, he did.

REALZEUS likes this.
  13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No I compared getting batteries for out dated technology to getting batteries for out dated technology.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Ohh ok great. How about this. Get me a brand new ecu for a 1995 Diablo. Please.

Get me a brand new ac control unit for an 348.

You guys dont know what you are talking about.

Yes Ferrari will get you the parts for the older cars. The crafsmen are still around.

If a man made the part than he can make it again.

If a computer and robot made a part perhaps not so much.

How about this. Get me a battery pack for a Porsche 918 in less than 3 months.

I'm guessing you guys have little to no experience in the automotive world especially when it comes to parts.

For crying out loud. Get me a crank position sensor for an Enzo or an aventador.

09Scuderia likes this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    As noone1 said, Ferrari has an entire department dedicated to maintaining vintage cars. They will make sure that you can get new batteries for your 50 year old hybrid; unless the company goes bust of course. These cars are not disposable electronic gadgets!!!

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    And by the way I can make the parts for all of those vintage Ferraris. It's not the end of the world. Many 20 year olds who have some fabrication skills can... It's nothing special. But since we are talking about BATTERIES or circuit boards and chip sets etc... That weren't even made in America and weere made on multimillion dollar machines... Good luck firing up the old press.

Heck I have a friend who deals in used semi conductor equipment that is a completely different world

17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Seeing that Ferrari isn't making the battery... Nor do they have the equipment to build those parts... It's not going to be easy.

I don't think you understand how difficult this is.

It's more than "Ferrari will keep it running" ... ... ... Ya until they don't.

Get me a brand new ecu for a 328gts please.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL @ people thinking maintaining a predominantly computer/electric machine will be easy in the future. F1 teams still need laptops used originally back in the day to work on their old F1 cars for historic racing demos.

Hell, even NASA had to rely on Ebay in the early 2000s for Intel 8086 chips and other electronics to keep the space shuttle program up and going. They have annual budgets in the billions. Anyone think it's easy to remake a chip? Vintage cars are a joke by comparison to work on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/us/for-parts-nasa-boldly-goes-on-ebay.html

Solid State and technom3 like this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yeah well, the Americans should be taught a lesson by the Russians who have been sending people to space with the Soyuz spacecraft since 1967. :D

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    preach it, brother.

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    There are some real advantages of e-motors and I am excited Ferrari is showing us something new. I'm fascinated with what they are doing with the SF90. And I think that means some of our usual questions, but also some new ones.

From a weight and complexity stand point, hybrid is the worst of all worlds, because you have two entirely different motive systems on board. But, it is a nod to our times, and it also means we will have the advantages of both systems. So let's learn more.

Tesla is hardly perfect, but they have shown that EVs don't need to be completely emotionless- most people with their cars love them. There must be a reason.

paulchua likes this.
  22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Using your logic then, every modern Ferrari in existence will fail because no one will be able to fab an ECU for it :rolleyes:

Modern cars cannot be compared to old cars. You're talking about electronics designed in the infancy of computers vs a world now that runs on computers. Design techniques and expectations have changed. Cars were nowhere near as collectible 40 years ago. There was no expectations of keeping an old exotic running for 50 years. Standards are much clearer and predictable.

Lamborghini could easily replicate/emulate a Diablo ECU if they had to or cared to. They don't need to yet, so they don't.

As for NASA looking for old parts, it's because it's a freaking space shuttle and super critical. It's not like NASA couldn't just get by with an FPGA or something modern. They just want to use tried and true components without worrying about bugs or changes.

In 2019, Ferrari knows that their cars are going to be collectible and expected to be serviced for decades. They know that this is a profitable line of business. They are anticipating repairs and maintenance for a very long time. And unlike NASA, the stuff doesn't have to be perfect.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    When your country lands their men on the moon let me know

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol. You are quite the fish out of water

So Lamborghini doesn't because they don't need to yet... So when will yet be?

Ohh that's right never. Manufacturers only have to supply parts for 10 years. So they will never NEED to.

And making an ecu with old connectors and all of that is not as easy as you think. Things get superceeded and never are adaptable.

We just had to put a motec in the diablo to keep it going...

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Building handfuls of ECUs at a massive cost isn't going to be what Ferrari wants to concentrate on for profit. They might want to focus on selling cars.

And it's alot easier to sell a t shirt with a Ferrari logo on it than build an ecu with antiquated tech.