Shall I buy a 348 or a Aston Martin vantage 2005? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shall I buy a 348 or a Aston Martin vantage 2005?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by David_98, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Supposedly lots of problems until sorted in model years 94,95 and maybe 93(?).

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    probably. mine was a singularly immense disappointment.

crinoid likes this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Sorry to hear that.

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I own an ‘09 vantage with sportshift
    And have (3) F355 to choose from. They Aston and Ferrari have a different feel although have about the same performance. So my ownership relates directly to your question.

Vantage is a little heavier, more comfortable, with less to maintain. Epic 700 watt stereo and great a/c. You could drive it coast to coast without stopping. A sports car on the gt side. But I would not call it a gt.

f355 is a more refined 348, is lighter, go kart feel, smaller inside than the Aston and more maintenance than the vantage. It feels a bit older as it should but still a very clean and pleasant interior. I would drive it anywhere as well but not all at once.

Both have wonderful exhaust notes. One absolute animal of a muscle car. One f1 screamer.

You could drive the vantage every day as your only car but I would not recommend it. Suspension with the sports pak is very stiff ride like a track car- (gt3). Like the Ferrari, it’s best used as a car for special drive or occasion because it’s loud, has blind spots, gets terrible gas mileage, and you have to be in the right mood. You just won’t enjoy it over the long haul if you go to the grocery store or work in it every day.

I would not recommend the 05-08 vantage as they are down 50hp power and have a heavier flywheel. They are a bit slow. Still nice inside and look very special.

The Ferrari will always be a bit more special of a drive because it is a true exotic and looks the part. Not that many Aston’s out there though so they also garner a lot of looks, camera phones, and thumbs ups. Aston is for the solid (bank vault) Porsche 911 type of experience but for an owner that just doesn’t want to fit in and needs a more unique experience with tuxedo styling. You’ll never mistake the v8 sound of the vantage for the less epic carrera 911. I don’t really care if the latest 911 is .5 seconds faster. Because the ownership experience is worth much more.

Ferrari F355 and 348 are really easy to drive quickly and to me are very balanced and forgiving. You sit very low and visibility is very good and better than the Aston that has a high sill and thick rear qtr’s. The manual gate is very special. Clutch pedal is light. Steering is perfect. Perfect balance of speed, size, and comfort.

I’d buy the Ferrari first. Add Aston second.

Robb

JOHNCJ8989, Graz, surfwolf and 2 others like this.
  5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    nice comparo, Robb. Some here would say, you really need to swap your Aston for a Ferrari 12. Sat a 412! ;-)

6. Tony Hill

Tony Hill Rookie

Apr 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Garford Hill
    Owning a 348 TB since 1993 I have seen my investment fall from $120K to $50 or $60K or thereabouts, but since mine is in perfect shape and has $21K original miles with all the records it is most likely worth more. Don't be put off by the high repair cost rap. If you are willing to do some of your own maintenance, the "Ferrari dealer only" bills fall back considerably. Still, what I love about the car is that NO ONE mistakes it for anything but a Ferrari. Plus, only 500 or so were imported here, and many of those are no longer here for several reasons. One of my car club friends bought a new 360, and while filling it up at Costco a nice older lady said to him: " What a pretty Toyota". I'm not sure he ever got over that. The rarity of my 348 fits my passion plus the manual turns the mountain curves where I live into butter. I have been told that the value of the 348's is on its way up rapidly-more so in Europe than here, but that is how it usually works anyway. I strongly endorse your choice for a 348 if that is what you ultimately decide.

JOHNCJ8989, Bertil and paulchua like this.
  7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    So OP lusts after Ferrari.

The Aston is depreciating.

The 348 is appreciating.

Watson we have solved the case.

JOHNCJ8989 and paulchua like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Don't mean to bring back bad memories, but if you don't mind sharing what were the main pain points?

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The only British car l would buy is a Bentley...and l am not buying one...ever.

VW owned BTW.

10. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Interesting take... I own a 2010 Vantage V8 and am shopping for an F355 now so I did it the other way around. Part of it for me is that the Aston, especially in a muted color like my Quantum Silver (really more of a steel gray) is very un-flashy and blends in a lot more. I've finally decided I can live with it but the "look at me" stigma of a Ferrari has always been a drawback for me. Part of my acceptance is that I moved from the midwest where a 911 stands out to La Jolla CA where exotic cars are a dime a dozen.

Anyway, to the OP - you've gotten great advice already, very different cars but both really terrific. The only point I'd really add is that while Aston parts and dealer service are expensive, the typical maintenance needs are very low. The cars are quite reliable and actually pretty well built in the 2005+ era. You can even do basic MX yourself and it is a lot easier than a Ferrari. I've owned my Vantage for 7 years and have not had any repairs, only regular oil changes and other consumables. It has been dirt cheap to own and spent barely any time in maintenance which makes it easy to live with - you just never really have any issues. That said, if I could only have one sports car, for me, it would have to be a 911 (993 specifically).

Here is a picture of my Vantage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MalcQV, Robb and SVCalifornia like this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Just enough to break even on the next major...:D

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i've written many posts on this car.
    but the roof leaked, there was a hot start problem (come to think of it, there was a cold start problem too), 2nd gear was a pain, the aircon didnt work, the defroster didnt work, and it just generally gave me the feeling it wasnt going to work when i needed it to.

paulchua likes this.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I have a 348. 1989. I lust after a mid-2000s aston too.

I have 4 of those 5 problems Ross had and they really don't bother me. Hot start was cured with the relay mod. I don't think I've ever used the defroster. The aircon needs a charge.

I did the major, timed the cams, and I take it out once a week for exercise. I'm getting cautiously confident in it. I love the simplicity. It's one of the easier cars i've worked on, and it really makes me focus on doing a great job with whatever task i'm doing.

sjd

paulchua likes this.
  14. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
  15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Sorry but you haven’t listed anything that we don’t know about!
    - any targa from that generation leaks!
    - which Ferrari doesn’t have 2nd gear fun?
    - hot start is a known issue and fixed for about £7
    - zircon is generally rubbish; open the windows and go faster!!!
    - did you fault find on the defroster?

steved033 likes this.
  16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    What problems are those then? Supposedly??????

Have you or do you own one? If not...don’t let the door hit you in the way out!

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well i guess i am glad you know about the issues. i was asked and i answered.
    i was not trying to offend owners of that model, just stating my own opinion from my experience.
    i have no interest in arguing with you about the virtues or vices of a car i owned 20 years ago.

paulchua and crinoid like this.
  18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That was my 90 ts while I had it. :)

After a drive with FL mid-day temps outside at about 90F.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Kinda cool about how Ferrari designed the battery access huh?

paulchua likes this.
  20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I love the 348 and have driven several. Don’t get butt hurt by what I said. If you’re the exception, great. I’m telling you what a respected friend / Ferrari restoration expert told me who does own one. The were all sorts of issues and some quite serious. I don’t remember the details.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Ross, appreciate the response. Sorry about your experience. I had similar experiences with my 't'. My roof leaks, had hot start problem fixed, 2nd gear was fixed too, aircon due to charge as mentioned. But once sorted, the car hasn't let me down.

Wishing you the best.

22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am sure that i could have sorted it out in the end, as you guys have, but my heart wasnt in it - and i was distracted by a 512tr. so i sold it.

paulchua likes this.
  23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea, made it even more difficult to sort out!
    ferrari is infamous for placing the battery in awkward places.
    on the 456mgt you have to remove the coolant overflow tank to remove the battery - such fun !

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If you would have said "distracted by a TR", I'd say o_O

But the 512TR? Makes sense to me!

25. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I'm not comparing my old 308 with a 348...but just to say that in my experience (years ago) the Ferraris that are driven least cost the most to maintain. I bought my 308 with 88k miles on it...a daily driver for the original owner. Yes he spent a fair amount of money in those 13 years...and then it was my turn. I also used it as a daily driver...and found it both sensual and reliable. Went to the super market in it, took the animals to the vet, went to jury duty in downtown Los Angeles in it, and drove it everywhere else my life took me. It needed one major service in my three years and 36k miles with it...not counting oil changes and one clutch cable. The targa leaked a little but it was easy to live with. The important take away is that the experience of driving it...anytime...everywhere...every gear...even short shifting to 3rd until the transmission oil was warm...slipping the shift lever through the gates...turning the key and listening to the best engine sound I've ever heard...driving a Ferrari is not something you do absent mindedly...it is like making a great risotto...it is a continual courtship that you will never forget or regret.