Share your Ab workouts. | FerrariChat

Share your Ab workouts.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by S Brake, Jul 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is one area where I'd like to focus my attention more than I have been.
    I recently got back into using an ab wheel as part of my workout, hot dang does that thing hurt. After about 25 to 50 reps I am spent and sore for a few days.
    I'm thinking about combining it with some of the P90X ab ripper workouts and weighted crunches at the gym.
    Anything I should be adding or not doing?

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Though you are considering adding other torture devices, can you elaborate on the Ab Wheel?

3. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #3 S Brake, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's an incredibly simple device, but it's really difficult. Get on your knees and hold the wheel in front of you. Extend out and return. When you first start out, 5 or 10 is enough you kill you. :)

video demonstration I found on youtube.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_Hp1Wf52k[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, I see - yeah, those torture devices have been around forever.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Are you only doing 50 reps?

Focusing on my abs has long been a problem for me. I need to devote a day to abs soley.

Look on bb.com. they gave a ton of great exercises that I've done, just not steadily.

6. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    50 is about all I can manage on the ab wheel. That's why I'm coupling it with weighted crunches and the ab ripper workouts.

7. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JN8Nque1Sc[/ame]

8. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    90% of my Ab/Torso/Core Exercises involve a stability ball.
    Crunch, plank, x-crunch, rev.crunch, st arm plank, pushups on ball, side crunch, back ext, side crunch w/twist, pike, pike w/twist. are just a few of maybe 100 ex's.

THE key to remember when training the mid section is that it is not just about Abs. It is a column or like an iris of a camera with muscles all the way around. They draw in and stabilize the ribs to the pelvis. Rectus, Int. & Ext. Obliques, Transverse, (and all their fibral divisions) then all of the spinal muscleclature. In fact 3/4 of the 'Abs' attach directly into the spine via the TLF so they are as much back musc as they are Ab musc.

They are resp. for flexing, extending, bending, twisting, and stabilizing in almost any direction you can think of so your workout plan of attack should include that thought process.

Too many people just crunch-crunch-and more crunch...big mistake.

Think of this too: If you take a balloon and squeeze it from the sides, what happens? It starts squirting out to the side. Same as if you just train the front of your torso. You have to train the sides and all the way around.

-Billy

9. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ah, I thought you meant altogether.

11. hilton1

hilton1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 7, 2012
    i just started the disc,part of the P90X workouts, Ab Ripper X, . you can look up all the moves on youtube, and it left me sore for 3 days! but it does cost allot and i got mine from a friend. but it is very hard and challenging, but u can feel it work! :)

12. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I need to get some videos together of my workouts. Simple stuff, yet effective :)

13. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    For me, personally, simple and consistent beats whiz-bang and sporadic every time. I'd rather do the simple stuff, knowing it might not be perfect or optimal, than something more complicated that I won't do consistently.

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I do the wheel, weight russian twist, hanging legs raises and sprints

15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I actually just bought one a couple weeks ago but haven't tortured myself with it yet.

Shopping tip: A good place to look for this kind of workout gear is a closeout store like Ross or Marshalls. The ones near me always have a good selection of pull bars, resistance bands, etc.

The ab wheel is the "Men's Health" branded one and comes with a free 1 yr digital subscription to the magazine; cost me $6.99 + tax @ Ross.

Time to stop shopping and chatting and time to start working out. :eek:

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Any personal trainers on fchat?
    Ed

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey