Sharing a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Sharing a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Feb 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Was watching a youtube video from an under the radar guy, and he is thinking about sharing a 458 with a friend and is wondering why that concept isn't more of a thing. I guess the hangups might include insuring the car and splitting the maintenance but neither seem like deal breakers on the surface.

I would consider an arrangement like this, any other pitfalls? Anyone in Houston Texas want to talk about it?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    People that can afford a $300K car, are not the kind of people who need someone to share the costs with.

4re308, 308 milano and paulchua like this.
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'd rather share my wife than share my Ferrari.

4. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I tried it 28 years ago. It didn’t work out. Can’t you afford the car on your own?

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    There is as fellow here in Dallas that shares ownership of a couple of cars with another.
    Everything seems to be working out fine.
    I guess it just takes the right people.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    A friend of mine shares ownership of a $75k motorcycle with a friend. The important thing is the relationship of the owners.

Jakuzzi and Island Time like this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    "No way, I didn't break that"
    "Yes you did, it wasn't like that when you took the car yesterday"
    "I'm not paying for that!"
    "Neither am I!"

....there goes a good car and good friendship. Please let us know if you decide to go this route so we know never to buy any car you try to sell.

4re308, DrewH and Jana like this.
  8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    If money is tight like that you're better off just renting it out a few times a month. I live here in miami and my buddy is always traveling for work, he leaves his aventador with a large agency here and he gets $1500 per 50 miles they put on it, he got like $50k+ last year he told me. If you finance a car renting it twice a month should be more than enough to help you out if you need it.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would check with your insurance agent if you decided to rent out the car. I know in Massachusetts my current policy would not cover any accident involving a person who rented the car. I guess I could probably obtain such insurance, but I'm sure it would be much more costly than my current insurance. Along those lines, a couple years ago my insurance company sent all policy holders a letter warning them that their current policy did not cover them if they were working for Uber. And from what I've read, apparently Uber's supposed $1MM policy doesn't cover you either. ;)

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

What an absurd comment.

PKIM and Shark01 like this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    What an absurd comment.

LorenzoOO likes this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Depends on the car sure, but thought it was an interesting premise.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No renting, just shared ownership.

14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Um, No and No.

15. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    a couple of my Fiat buddies and I talked about this year's ago... just never quite got up enough steam and then I decided they were taking too long so I bought my own. one of the others bought his own Ferrari a few years later (after being foster dad to my 308 when I was on an away project)and another of the 'prospects' now has a very nice Maserati as well.

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    What? No.

17. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Absolutely not. I do not want to be on the hook for what another adult might do. And if you've got money, you're the one people will come after. Even if you weren't there.

18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  19. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I agree it depends on the relationship and agreement between the people.
    A lot of people have their cars in other people's garages. I wonder what it is about ownership that changes things?

My ZR-1 is practically my father in-law's since he cleans, services, and technically insures the car. Both of our names are on the title, even though I paid for it all. He thinks of it as my car, but considering his role in ownership, we definitely share it.

Now I know it's not a Ferrari, which leads me to believe that money is the biggest obstacle (duh). If the main reason for sharing a car (Ferrari or not) is to spend less money, it is probably a bad idea. If money isn't a huge issue, go for it. But at that point, just buy your own.

20. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Liability.

Cigarzman and Zcobra1 like this.
  21. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    sounds like another word for money. :p

22. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    There's money, like money for repairs and maintenance, and then there's money like being sued for millions.

Cigarzman, Zcobra1 and Glassman like this.
  23. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    It can work. My race car, pick up and trailer is owned by my racing buddy and I.
    We keep an excel file where we each record expenses incurred. We share insurance cost (both listed on policy) and all other expenses.
    We are thinking of adding a F430 Challenge so we can take two cars to the track.

Kai

Cirorsi and Jakuzzi like this.
  24. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Completely different situation. You're talking about a controlled environment where no driver is exposed to the general idiocy that is every public road.

25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Why is his name be on the title if he is not an owner nor lienholder?