Shaving Preferences? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shaving Preferences?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Schatten, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    definitely try the art of shaving stuff...go thru all the steps...it helps bigtime because i hate shaving like nothing else and the stuff has helped alot

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I am SO surprised you all like the Mach 3. I absolutely HATE it. Aside from some Schick Protector thing I tried once, I think it is the worst razor I have ever used. I like disposable plastic ones better. I find that if I go any more than 24 hours, the Mach 3 literally pulls the hair out rather than cut it. It hurts to shave.

As a result, I use the old Gilette Sensor Excel. It doesn't hurt like the Mach 3.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i used the Mach 3 but will use pretty much anything, if the situation calls for it, including a straight edge... When i was a teenager, i shaved with hot water; no shaving cream... When the pipes froze and no hot water was available, i shaved dry.

Back when i used to shave my head (don't ask), i used a Mach 3... Like someone else mentioned, going against the grain is the only way... i try to go in all directions, which eventually results in the smoothest shave i can get... Usually, though, when i'm lazy, i just get it off as quickly as possible and i'm done... :)

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

zjpj....

Funny that you have that experience with the Mach 3.........I get about 4 weeks out of one blade before I change them. When I bought disposables.....and believe me....it wasn't more than 2-3 times....I used each blade 2-3 days and threw it away.....sheer hell.

5. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Yeah, I love my Mach 3. The turbo blades are really good IMO because you don't ever feel like the razor is scraping your skin. That said, I'll use regular or turbo blades; whatever's at hand.

In terms of with/against the grain, if I want a really good shave, I'll shave once with the grain, lather up again, and go against the grain. I was told by a barber who was shaving me one time that this will get the closest shave.

DES, did you have one of the head-shaving razors with a mach 3 blade on it? When my friend used to shave his head all the time, he had this little razor that conformed to your hand/fingers so that you just ran your hand over your head to shave it. It was awesome.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just got a Mach 3 Turbo for Christmas and was surprised how much I like it, finally upgraded from the Sensor Excel I've been using for 6 years (!).

Against the grain, shower, Ivory soap. Rarely use aftershave, usually just cologne (Ferrari Black).

7. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    zjpj have you tried the Mach 3 turbo - I have used them all and I thought that the turbo was the best by far. I love it. I think its a big improvement over the Mach 3.

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Real weird, my going thrice agianst the grain only takes about five minutes and I swipe real real fast. Never get cuts except only on my upper lip area where I hate shaving there, but that's because of my lips probably. Not sure. If you want a slick shave, ask and I'll go step by step and pictures of what I do. It works, no joke.

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I don't get it, what's so special about the Mach 3? I've used it (and the Mach 3 Turbo) and found no difference between those and the Sensor Excel.

Gillette Foamy, shave and a splash of Ferrari Red when I'm done.

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I use the Mach 3 Turbo and the Schick Extreme 3... sorry. I was also a Sensor Excel fan for many years until the Mach 3 Turbo showed up free in the mail and I think I like it better but only by a small margin.

I shave with a sink of warm water and with the grain and then against the grain. I try to keep it to once a week since the blades are wrecked
    after 5 uses.

What I really need more than anything is a softener that really WORKS. I inherited very course hair from both of my parents.

Sunny

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hey! You told us on the phone that you just used to fill your beaney cap with Nair, put it on and drive to White Castle.

What gives?

DL

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I thought he used a shiv and a can of grease...

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Mach3 + water = bliss

I sometimes try a straight razor in a never ending quest against facial hair. Gotta keep my baby face all fresh and clean.

Someone wrote an article about shaving first thing when you wake up becuase of the natural oils your face secretes acting as a bit of a lubricant.

I use gel, only when shaving my legs, it's a cycling thing, you wouldn't understand.

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sunny, Remember? Only on special occasions.....Mc Donald's night!

DL

15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It's not just the razor itself but the combo that you use it with, I've used my dads advice and used disposables, friends advice on the sensors, but nothing comes close the the Mach 3, and then that's a strech with the Turbo. Turbo's should be on everything :)

Try dabbing on some aftershave before you shave. I know it sounds weird, but I've found that if I do that right before like a party shave it gives makes it easier when I just want to trim.

Oh, and you have to swap blades five uses? I have to every week, which is about 9 uses. Are these the Mach 3 Turbo blades or something else?

16. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    For me my face is naturally oily but if you get all that lubricants out, and have a rough skin, *at least for me* it shaves smoother because my skin softens as the day goes by. Weird.

Oh, and I used the reverse opposite of you, cream for my legs.. I run track at school before any one gets any ideas!

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks! I will try that and see if it helps. I never thought to use some aftershave prior. They are the turbo blades. Its really a PITA. I found that the gel/foam/etc is good for my skin but I don't turn red or get razor bumps, so I've just been going without.

Keep in mind I was in the service and it was water or use soap at certain points of my life so I just learned to live without it. I'm sure the blades aren't lasting as long as they should because of a lack of some sort of lubricating agent?

Sunny

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    See, i thought this was a different shaving topic. Time to make a new poll!

19. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Ah, then I know it sounds kinda mean, but it's time to change your ways once agian! Knowing that you can go straight water is a nice assurance but you shouldn't do that too often. Maybe I'm the oddball or something but when I go just water I seem to break out. I have to use some sort of lube :( Oh well, at least these cans seem like there is unlimited contents!

20. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Zirh shaving gel (can get it at bloomingdales). It's a little pricey but really good..

21. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Melodie uses the Lady Schick. I still complain because the stubble hurts my chin. She needs a better razor!

22. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    LOL - That's funny :)

23. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I used to use a straight razor. Anybody here ever try it? Never, ever cut myself.