She sucks the life out of my battery.... | FerrariChat

She sucks the life out of my battery....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ready to roll my 512TR out the driveway and head to the office this morning...only to find the battery is completely DEAD !!! Appearantly, the evening before, while installing the new shift knob and install the K40 Radar, my mechanic left the driver door open for about an hour or so and thus, drained all the juice.

So after some checking, I learned that all 512TR's are notorious for sucking the life out of a batteries even as they sit....Mine is all charged up now but just to be on the safe side, I'm going to have the battery replaced tomorrow with something with a bit more juice. Any thoughts on why this beast is so hard on batteries? What brand do you recommend?

2. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Tom, how do you like your 512TR? I have given some thought to purchasing one or even a 512M. How long have you owned car? Could you compare it to other Ferraris? Thanks!

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Disclaimer: I observe more than I know.

Interestingly, the few 512's I've seen in showrooms have trickle chargers hooked and running more often than other F-Cars. Optima seems to be the battery of choice 'round these parts. If you do go with Optima - make sure you get the correct top - some F-cars function best with Red or Orange top battery for a variety of reasons.

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Mike--The ownership experience has been extremely rewarding. She is by far my most favorite wheels of all. Her beauty is self evident but her power astounds me every single time I sit behind the steering wheels......

However, if I had my choice, I'd elect the 512M. This was actually my original choice except I was looking specifically for a near perfect yellow one. Sadly, by the time I found her at FOSF, she went to someone else. In the end, either choice is a good endeavor. Good luck in your search.

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

6. FERRARINUTTER

FERRARINUTTER Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    Had problems with all the cars & bikes for many years until a good friend introduced me to an "Optimate" trickle charger; now if I leave any of the vehicles over 6 months, they are never drained & usually fire first time.

Best investment I ever made....

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My 512TR killed my battery once. Turned out to be a switch behind the starter was on all the time sucking the juice out

8. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I have the cord for trickle charger wired onto the battery terminals, when my 512 is going to set for more than a few days I just plug in the charger into the quick disconnect on the cord and leave it. Before I did this the car was good for about 2 - 3 weeks sitting in the garage before the battery would go dead.

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Tom, I see that you have had a Diablo. How would you compare the Diablo to the 512? Thanks, Jerry.

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Hello Jerry--- To prevent any unintended consequenses of offending enthusiasts of both camps, I will try to be as candid and pragmatic as I can.... I loved them both for very different reasons but to sum up:

--"Show and Tell" Factor: The sight of the Diablo and its wings is simply "jaw dropping so the edge goes to the Diablo.

--Drivebility: Edge goes to 512TR. The Diablo was more difficult to drive in and out of city traffic and poorer visibility. Hard to negotitate in small spaces (parking lots)....

--Reliability: The Diablo embarassed me on many occasions and they always happened at the most inopportune times. So, an edge on reliability goes to my 512TR.

--Performance: Hard to tell...Keep in mind, I'm not good enough of a driver to make a competent assessment. They both seem fast and powerful...I do seem to handle my 512TR better than the Diablo.

I am a Ferrari enthusiast at heart but I wouldn't oppose to owning another Lambo in the future as I heard these reliability issues were drastically improved with the later model years....

Tom,

11. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I've heard that some TR's have 2 batteries. Is this true?

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Not on my 512TR.....

13. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I love the Optima gel batts. I have them in all my cars except my old truck. I too have a slow drain problem in the 308 that I have yet to track down. In the meantime I purchased a batt isolator switch and I disconnect the batt after driving.

14. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    They nare all hard on batteries; F-cars, Lambos, Lotus, etc. You do not need a trickle charger. You need a battery protector which keeps you at 14.5 volts and prevents sulphating. Deka and Allstate make them for around $50.00. I keep my 360 plugged in just like I used to do with my boat. It always starts no matter what the outside temperature. I put my trickle charger on the shelf where it belongs. My classic Corvette and cycle friends all use BPs, and their batteries last for years. Cheers

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    unfortunately i have to leave my 512tr sit for weeks at a time, and i simply turn off the battery with the switch installed by the factory for that purpose on the inside right side of the trunk. i have been doing this for years and it seems to work very well.

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you do use battery kill switch on TR make sure you remember your radio code before you do. Gel cells work well. Trickle chargers are fine but gel cells can be regular charged every two weeks with no problems. Make sure you check trickle chargers every once and a while. They can cause fire if they malfunction.

17. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    I do the same for my car, except I don't have a switch. It's easy enough to just take the ground off when it sits for a while. Works fine.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes but my switch doesn't kill all the ecu mapping etc. i lose my preset radio stations, but everything else stays ok.

19. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ross-- Thanks for the tip. I found the little round knob on the right hand side of the trunk. It only turn slightly less than an inch, correct?

BTW, I went ahead and replace the old battery with an Optima/Red top and now she fires up as soon as the key is turned.....it's great....