Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 vs Mobil 1 0-40 | FerrariChat

Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 vs Mobil 1 0-40

Discussion in '360/430' started by MalibuGuy, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Is Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 better than Mobil 1 0-40 for 360's?
    The factory recommends Shell oil.
    Is is really better?

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Not sure what is better, but I seem to recall a recent thread mentioning that Shell has stopped producing the Helix product. Don't know if that thread ever answered the question "now what the hell are we suppose to use?" though.

3. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I don't think that there is a lot in it TBH. I use Mobil 1 0W/40 in my daily drivers and Agip 5W/40 was put in my 360 at the last service. I think it is more of a feel good/security factor and a good marketing exercise rather than anything else. I would only use a fully synthetic oil in my cars though.

4. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    basically if the API specs match you are good to go.
    would Mobil Oil be sponsoring the F1 team you would surely have a sticker in your engine compartment saying Ferrari recommends Mobil 1.

5. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lately all the Mobil 1 oils I come across at the stores are all API SM rated, due to EPA limiting how much of Zinc and Phosphorus (PPM) they can blend.
    The Shell bottles I have are still the SL, suppose to have more of the Zinc and phosphorus. (Better engine protection)
    I would try to stay away form the API/SM rated bottles.

6. banthafodder

banthafodder Rookie

May 6, 2008
    Toronto/Naples
    I could have sworn that Quaker State was now marketing itself as the oil supplier to Ferrari...

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    For proper additive levels you want SF rated oil. You can get a full compliment of ZDDP in Redline though more expensive, OR you can run the Mobile 1 and add a few bottles of ZDDPLUS.com additive and bring it up to SF levels that way.(No affiliation).

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think the use of Shell products in Ferrari is more of a financial arrangement than Ferrari's desire to run the absolute best. There are better synthetics out there offering better performance and protection, Redline and Royal Purple to name a couple.

9. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    The new oil that Ferrari is recommending is the Quaker state Q horsepower 5W40 full synthetic in replacement of the Shell helix.

Regards, Jim

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have seen that commercial numerous times. I believe there was a thread asking if Quaker state was making that claim under license. Never saw definitive answer though.

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thank you.

12. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Shell owns Quaker state and pennzoil.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Now it all makes sense! OK Quaker State Horsepower is the choice!

14. chris430

chris430 Karting

Oct 30, 2005
    Have any of you used Castrol? I have heared it is the best oil in the market, racing fluid is number1.

15. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Shell Helix foams. The bubbles rise up the filler tube so checking the actual oil level is impossible. Mobile 1 does not foam. This is my personal experience.

16. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Anyone looked a one of the Quaker state bottles see what the API rating is??

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Without looking I would guess SL and/or SM to comply with Federal mandated emissions requirements. A quick trip to the auto parts store would confirm.

18. jcaroom

jcaroom Rookie

May 11, 2008
    Ark and Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry Caroom
    What if any damage can be done to the F430 engine if I put too much oil in it? What's the best way fix this situation. I know the oil level on the dipstick should be between the two holes, should this be checked with the engine on or off?

19. davyr6

davyr6 Karting

Feb 17, 2007
    belgium
    Full Name:
    davy
    always check the oil level of an engine with the engine off and let it rest for 15min so all the oil gets back down in the oil pan

20. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Very wrong.......the F430 uses a dry sump oil system. You always must measure the oil while the engine is running at idle rpm and the engine must be warm, i.e. when it reaches running temperature which is between 80-90degC.

21. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    If you've overfilled your F430 engine, don't run it till you've drained the excess oil............you'll cause a mess.

22. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    exactly. the oil level is measured in the tank, NOT the pan.

23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I only used the Shell Helix Ultra in my 360. The dealer uses Mobile 1 in my F430. The Shell was approximately $18/bottle where the Mobile 1 is around $4.

24. DLC

DLC Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    David
    Has anyone found the Quaker State Q-Horsepower 5W-40 in any known commercial stores in the US? It appears the 5W-40 is a rare request. Any luck?

DLC

25. Gerald Pieroni

Sep 8, 2007
    Ca
    Tarek is correct. On the 430 the engine should be on and the temperature hot(running temp). It's in the Manual!