Shell Historic Challenge Swan Song | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Shell Historic Challenge Swan Song

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Jan, Nov 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #76 bigodino, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There're still the Modena Track Days! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. arthobald

arthobald F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Besancon 25
    Full Name:
    Nicolas JEANNIER
    right ... two years from now :(

3. ted walker

ted walker Karting

Feb 7, 2009
    gloucestershire UK
    Full Name:
    edward walker
    There seems to be confusion here !!!!! This NEW series is nothing at all to do with the Historic Challenge,and has been designed to encourage original spec un-hot rodded cars out of the woodwork.

4. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    I don't think there is any racing series where some of the competitors did not hot-rod their classic cars. It happend in the FHC and it happens evereywhere. There are always some who don't go for historic racing with the olympic idea but for winning and if they have the funds to hot rod their toys they will.

Matthias

5. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    True,
    after a historic race with some crashes carbon fibre all over the place...
    ciao
    Oscar

6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    #81 piloti, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    Tim
    The two system certification process already exists. There is the original Certification and now there is also the Attestation for Vehicles of Historical Interest for Ferraris not suitable for Certification (sic).
    Nathan

7. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Makes me glad my 2000 Challenge Car was not chopped up into a pseudo 360GT like most have!

8. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Obviously "historic" carbon fibre. My 2c worth is I personally don't understand that. Historic racing is historic racing. If you want to race "to win" then there are literally hundreds of race classes to race in, from go-karts to open wheelers. If winning is so important for those people then they should race in those classes. Just my 2c.
    John

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All --

This makes me very sad. When I think of all the people who worked so hard over the years, most for no money at all, to keep these cars accessible to the Holi Poli like me, it almost makes me want to cry. You see, I wasn't there in 62, when... I wasn't there in 65, when... The best I have ever been able to do is to see these old dinosaurs run in the FHC.

Heavy sigh. Heavy sigh, again. This is all too damn bad. Just because Ferrari Spa wants to make a buck.

Again, what makes it worse is to see the efforts all those people (and you know who you are) who worked so hard over all these years go down the drain.

You're right, Jim.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Dale

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    EASILY reversed. Try unwinding a Michelotto 360GT to a Challenge car. Problems.

CW

11. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Thought I might pass this along to those that follow or race in the North American Historic Challenge
    RML

"SHELL FERRARI HISTORIC CHALLENGE

A Very Informal Communication to Drivers from David Seibert,
    Project Manager, Shell Historic Challenge

Number 2009/8

November 27, 2009
    2010 SHELL HISTORICS

First, I’d again like to dispel the persistent rumor that the 2010 North American Shell Historic Challenge has been cancelled. This is simply not true.

I wish we were able to announce the final schedule at this time, but it’s not finished. Some of the events will be run, as always, with the F430 Challenge, and that schedule is not final. Paul Montopoli, Ferrari NA’s Director of Motorsports, has assured me in the past week that we are planning to begin the season at the Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach in January.

In a lengthy conference call with Ferrari NA, we agreed that the purpose of the series will remain unchanged, to allow the drivers of historic Ferrari race cars (and selected others: Maserati race cars and pre-war Alfas) to enjoy their cars in a safe competitive environment on historic tracks in North America, with the maximum track time possible.

This agreed purpose means that we don’t have to have huge fields for the series to continue (although certainly we want larger fields for competitive purposes). If there comes a point where not enough drivers wish to participate, the series will not continue, as you would expect. For now, this is our “little corner of the world,” where a compatible group of ladies and gentlemen can enjoy their cars in a pleasant environment.

Small fields do limit Ferrari NA in another way. I discussed the entry fees, and they must remain unchanged at this point. If the size of our fields increases, Ferrari NA will be willing to decrease the entry fee. (Hospitality is a different issue. Ferrari has made commitments to sponsors that the displays in the hospitality area will reach all drivers. For this reason the hospitality fees must remain part of the entry fee. I understand this one, and why it won’t change.

There are no changes planned to eligibility and classes at this point, with one exception: During late 2009 we agreed to add the 288 GTO and GTO/E and the F40LM. These cars (and drivers) will require approval on an individual basis. We will add a class for these cars to the Disc Brake Group.

One thing which has not changed, but which does need clarification: a Ferrari (or Maserati or Alfa Romeo) does not have to be certified by Ferrari Classiche to participate in the series. We do strongly encourage you to have your Ferraris certified, for many reasons, and there is the new Ferrari certification for race cars which were modified in period. We’re still not going to accept replicas, GTOs or TRs made from GTEs or similar, but if you have a question about eligibility of a particular car, please contact me.

You are certainly encouraged to pass this newsletter on, to those drivers who might be interested in the series, to drivers who have eligible cars, or to those who do not believe that the series will continue to exist.

We will announce the 2010 Shell Historics Schedule as soon as it is available. I believe you will be pleased wit h the selection of tracks."

12. alvestia

alvestia Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Lisboa
    Full Name:
    Tiago Carvalho Alves
    Thanks MarkL,
    do you ahve any information about European historic series of FHC?
    Best regards

13. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    I received the above e-mail from David this morning and have no inside info on either the US or European FHC.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I think a great opportunity was missed in this. The number of F40LMs and 288s in North America is relatively small. And, it must be assumed that the number of cars that actually come out to the track for the HC will be even smaller. If this was a move by the organizers to increase the grid size, I think they missed the boat. They should have welcomed 333s and 360GTs, too. That would just be an acceleration of an eventuality, and there are plentiful 333s and GTs floating around.

Furthermore, while I don't strictly object, I frankly don't understand letting in the 288s, either. The Evoluziones, yes, but not the street cars. As fast, beautiful and fun as they are, they're not track cars. Putting them on track with F40LMs, BBLMs, 512S/Ms, Comp Daytonas and the like doesn't make much sense to me. Also, what's with the "street car" eligibility? Why not let in all F40's, then?

Anyway, another botched job.

CW

15. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    +1
    Hope they will change it to this! Indeed a 288 is nice but not a track car, a 333Sp or 360 NGT :) indeed are.
    We will see..

Ciao
    Oscar

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey, Old Guy, this is great news! This year I promise to attend as many races as possible. No, I really do. Who knows which way the winds might blow in the future?

Dale