Shifted gears from 360 to 430, what do you think of this car? | FerrariChat

Shifted gears from 360 to 430, what do you think of this car?

Discussion in '360/430' started by EdLChicago, Sep 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
    Hey guys,
    I posted a few weeks back about a nice looking 360 that I was looking at and got some great advice, today I was at a dealership near my home and I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 430, car is in the link below.
    This will be my first F car, I have done my homework but wanted to pick the brain trust here as to things I should be looking out for, or questions to ask.

Thank you!
    Ed

https://www.ferrarilakeforest.com/inventory/used-2006-ferrari-430-rwd-2dr-car-zffew58a460148144

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Given the above-average mileage and lack of Daytona seats, and any other options for that matter, I think you should be able to get that car for a little less... like $100k. Plus, the last owner had it for over 3 years and over 7,000 miles, and appears to have done nothing other than renew the registration. Kind of makes you wonder what's missing. Do they offer any level of warranty with it?

3. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    Hope this helps! Invest on PPI
    1) Condition of headers. Any cracks or signs of pre-cat deterioration.

2) Condition of exhaust. Any cracks on exhaust brackets.

3) How many keys come with the car?

4) Is the Tool Kit included.

5) Is the tire inflator included.

6) Is the battery charger with the car?

7) How much life left on clutch?

8) When was last service done?

9) How much life left on tires?

10) Owners manual and maintenance booklet included?

11) Flashlight in glove compartment?

12) Windscreen with the car (Spider / Convertible)?

13) Is there Front clear bra installed?

14) Brake pads and rotor, how much life left?

15) Car cover included?

16) Please check oil pump and water pump for any signs of leaks.

17) Any oil leak present in cylinder head gaskets?

18) Stereo Code numbers available?

19) Stereo head unit remover key available?

20) Roof fabric condition? Any wear or holes? (Spider)

21) Roof mechanism works smoothly with no issues? (Spider)

22) Any door dings or scratches?

23) Front bumper scrapes?

24) Condition of leather seats?

25) Please check engine mounts and transmission mounts for rubber deterioration, cracking, etc.

26) What upgrades aftermarket parts has been added to the car?

27) Car been detailed inside and out lately?

28) Ensure SD3 or Leonardo was hooked up to the car to pull fault codes and address all Check Engine Light fault codes.

29) Run VIN number with dealer to check for open, expired or incorporated campaigns / recall notice.

SeaNile likes this.
  4. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
    How did you find that info?
    And thank you very much, this forum is amazing.

5. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
    Absolutely awesome information. Thank you.

6. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    This is the list I gave to Ferrari Dealer to Inspect. I used it to buy a 430 Spider 6 months ago. Good Luck!!!
    Al

EdLChicago likes this.
  7. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I looked at the pictures and CarFax. Helps to know about the cars too. Seems to have CF upper driving zone, but could just be wrapped, given the lack of any other options. Also, it has aftermarket floor mats.

EdLChicago likes this.
  8. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
  9. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That all looks about right, except it doesn't seem like he actually confirmed that the $10,000+ amount is actually for replacing the manifolds. I would get that confirmed first. It might help to mention to the salesman the absence of any high-dollar options. Did you ever confirm it comes with all manuals, keys, and accessories? I still think it's only a $100k car.

10. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
  11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I hear that those MKII headers sometimes have issues as well, I'd confirm if that $10k service was to put on aftermarket headers or MKII headers.

Also, it looks like there's no muffler on that car, is it running a straight pipe from the cat? If so, FYI, that's going to be ridiculously loud!

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  12. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Aftermarket wheels, floor mats, and who knows what else... absence of stock exhaust, and past-due for 15k-mile service with no evidence of it being done on CarFax. I definitely wouldn't pay near as much as they're asking.

13. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
    The salesman said the 15K service was just done on it and they did it there and have the service records for it.
    Do the aftermarket items lower the price? They did say they have the stock wheels and they will give them to me with the purchase.
    Thanks again for the help guys, this site is invaluable to someone new to the brand.

Ed

14. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    If the service was done, it would be on the carfax report. It only takes 24 hours for it to show up. The aftermarket wheels would normally decrease the cars value, but the fact they're giving you the original ones definitely helps your cause. I would still be concerned about that exhaust, however. What is their explanation for that,

15. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
    What is it that you are seeing with the exhaust? I am not sure I am following you?
    Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it.

16. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Take a look at a stock F430’s engine bay and then compare it to the one you’re looking at. There should be a huge silver muffler towards the rear of the engine bay by the back bumper that’s missing on the car you’re looking at which indicates that that car doesn’t have a stock exhaust and without that muffler, it’ll be very loud

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Some good info here...my opinion, it looks like you’re looking for a driver not a collector as such, I wouldn’t worry about trivial things like flashlights and tire inflators, clear bra etc that most cars dont have and don’t impact the ownership experience.

I’d also be flexible on some minor things like brake pads, tires, detail etc if you find the car you really like. EXPECT to have to put in a little work post sale, you’re looking at 10 yr old+ cars.

If you get too picky, you’ll never buy one,

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    ...or else to pay a premium for a "perfect" car.

For some reason when I click the link all that comes up is the dealership not a car.

If it were me Id prefer a manual 360 over an F1 430.
    Or step up to a Scud.
    Either car will hold their values better. I'm one of those guys where Ferrari ownership has to make some sort of economic sense.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  19. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’m in the ‘don’t sweat the small stuff’ camp. The wheels look great and if you prefer the stock ones then sell the A/M for a few grand. The stock speakers are really bad, so can’t blame someone for upgrading. You don’t see them. The muffler is important though, it will be loud. Perhaps the dealer can include one as part of the deal.

It does seem high in price, not sure how much they will move. I think paying a premium is ok but only if the car is perfect for you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
    Wow guys. Great info here. Thank you.
    I am not looking for a collector car or an investment.
    What I am hoping is that being my first F car I truly love the experience.
    We set a budget of no more than 150K on whatever car we were buying. Started looking at 911s, moved to GTRs, always thought we wanted new.
    The Ferrari came up and it made economic sense, thinking I can buy a 10ish year old car where most of the depreciation has been taking out, put roughly 3K miles a year on it and sell it for 80ish and maybe get myself into a 458 with the equity I take out of the car.
    I live in Chicago, thinking maybe I wait till the spring time and instead of putting 30K down on the car I use my end of year old bonus and put 70K down and have a minimal payment on the car.
    Again thank you for your help, buying a car like this is intimidating for the first time.

Ed

21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  23. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
    You guys are a great resource.
    And no I will not be paying Ferrari Guy $300 to drive his 360!

24. EdLChicago

EdLChicago Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed L
  25. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    So does it come with OEM manifolds or aftermarket headers? If the latter, which brand? In any event, I'd asked them to install the OEM muffler setup. The wheels are a personal preference, and you'd have to make sure they are of the current offsets. I once bought a car with aftermarket wheels that consisted of three different offsets! 124k is still high, and if they make everything right, then I'd say a fair price for that car would be in the neighborhood of 115k.