Shifter on 348 seems stiff moving side to side? | FerrariChat

Shifter on 348 seems stiff moving side to side?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    My 348 is fairly hard to move the level left to right in neutral. Not too hard and it isn't catching on gears or the like but just seems to make more resistance than my 308 moving it side to side. I grease the pivot ball on my 308 and it helped but on the 348 is there anything to grease as I know it is on cables. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    308gts

No there isn't anything that you lube. There is a spring that is in the middle of the shift assembly, that helps it return to the center. Well accually the shifter cables are lubed, and the grease that Ferrari uses does tend to get all gummed up. I have taken apart my shifter before, to fix the shift leaver, but I haven't looked into to cleaning the cables. My shifter also is a bit of a pain to move side to side but for now I will live with it. I'm wondering if anyone has removed the cables cleaned and then regreased them?

3. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Thanks for the info Ernie. I just got my 348 yesterday and wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I am used to my 308 so I just assumed it should be close. I have heard that it takes more effort to shift a 348. I am enjoying the car. I just wanted to get everything just so.