Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer? | FerrariChat

Shill bidding on Bring A Trailer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by efg2014, Nov 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Read a recent description of a possible shil bid on BAT in Sports Car Market. I haven't purchased a car on BAT, but I know of at least one bad car being sold by an individual.

2. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Yes I will be the 1st to say I think this is happening because you'll have a car go on there with no reserve or a reserve but there will be a very high dollar bid right out of the gate which is abnormal considering that these auctions are not put online at any point in time specifically They just pop up. So this would mean that a potential buyer happened to see a car come online right at that moment and bid a very high Dollar amount close to what a seller would ask. When you look at the metrics and feasibility of such issues It is almost mathematically impossible. Therefore I think that there's definitely a lot of shell or shill bidding.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

F2003-GA, Brocco, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There will always be shill bidding at any kind of high $ auction. It's unfortunately a part of the game.

kylec, technom3, LARRYH and 6 others like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Could be for sure but it's a gamble. If the shill bid wins the buyer commission is charged immedietely at auction end. Most of the auctions I watch where guys battle it out at the end, if you search their history they are active members with many comments/bids and seem like enthusiasts.

Not saying that it's -impossible- those guys are shills but quite an effort to pull that off I think.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes no schedule to the listings but you can sign up for notifications for vehicles you're interested in. You'll get an email as soon as it's listed and could bid on it within a few minutes if you like.

ScottS and Formula1r like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Little risk if the bidder knows is not meeting reserve like 0 risk

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Right, "if shill bid wins". If it's not met reserve I suppose it doesn't matter anyway.

ScottS and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I bid on a No Reserve BMW. I bid $10k and the next bid was $20k. I presume it was a shill and they had to pay the 5% fee. I have also known people who listed with a reserve and have asked friends to bid it up close to the reserve. No harm in that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Except all these harmless (read meaningless/useless) bids give those wannabe “market hawks” (read lemmings) inaccurate perceptions of values, including one reflecting the given lot itself.

OTOH, those same lemmings use other auction results, whether real sales or not, and asking prices as some kind of “market value” indicators. Go figure.

11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Don't hate the player, hate the game? :(

ShineKen and Texas Forever like this.
  12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Actually both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    It's not inaccurate if the car is bid up and actually sells though. Like lots of folks have said before a product is ultimately worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

ShineKen and TTR like this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    nothing illegal as far as we know and all car auctions have this?

Lusso123, Texas Forever and TTR like this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Absolutely agree. I’ve been saying this for decades.
    I agree, but it just seems strange (I have other words to describe this behavior, but...) when “market hawks” quote such results as some kind of market/value indicators without acknowledging (or comprehending ?) the utter uselessness of no sale high bid or “asking price“ of something.

Perhaps this is due to my lack of formal education or maybe some people just need something to blindly believe and if it’s printed or published, it must be true, right ?

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't like shill bidding, have seen live auctions do absolute ghost bidding even. I suppose you could argue as long as it only happens below a reserve it doesn't hurt anything but it just smacks of impropriety or even bordering on dishonesty to me. If it's ok to do below the reserve what's to stop the auctioneer from doing it above the reserve?

17. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    They do do it above the reserve when they know someone "has to have it". Also when the auction house guarantees a price to the seller. It happens all the time.

The reason it theoretically shouldn't happen is because auctions results are the only public record of where market prices stand. Sometimes if a car stops at well below reserve, it's an important "correction" to where prices should actually be. Of course the auction house loses with this, so they started this and chandelier bidding in an effort not to lose the sale. It's not illegal, but you can argue that it is immoral. Not that it matters too much when it's accepted to be part of the game.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I don’t see anything dishonest or improper for an auction house to do (shill) bidding for a lot ABOVE or on no reserve auctions, as their job is to not only to help sell it, but to sell it at highest achievable price and resorting to such tactics means they’re working to earn their commission by getting top money for the seller of the consigned item.
    It’s on the (real) bidder(s) if they take the proverbial bait and allow themselves to be taken advantage of in that moment/setting.

What I don’t understand is this rather immature(?) nonsense of quoting no sale auction results (or “asking prices”, a la FML, etc) as some kind of value indicators, but apparently lot of people choose to believe or take them as such seriously. :confused:

I have wondered if these same individuals base their other leisure expenditures on similar logic (or lack there of) ? Like “Yeah, I really like to go on a vacation to Italy (or Bahamas or Hawaii, etc) but the prices right now are too high, so perhaps I wait awhile to see if they become much lower, because I don’t want to appear stupid for paying too much” :rolleyes:

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    not by buyers

needs to be another user

yes it is happening

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Edit:
    OTOH, there are lots of other, “seemingly irrational” things people do ever day that I don’t understand either. :rolleyes:

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    One reason I refuse to participate in auctions

TheMayor likes this.
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Anyone who doesn't think shill bidding exists in every car auction is naive.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

I think on BAT it might be more obvious given how much higher some cars go there.
    It’s even more transparent as you see very early on some big bids whilst there are 7 days left and/or bidder just joined etc. Easier to spot I’d say.

24. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Is the auction house also not charging the buyer for their services? So getting the buyer to pay more by deceit is ok? I disagree.

Would you be ok going to your Doc and having him run up your bill for the insurance company he works for? Or taking your car to a shop and having the mechanic charge extra hours for the shop he works for? To me deceit is deceit.

merstheman likes this.
  25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school
    It’s a wonder I can think at all
    And though my lack of education hasn’t hurt me none
    I can read the writing on the wall

Twosherpaz likes this.