Ship or pick up car in Houston? (and Fort Stockton - yes or no?) | FerrariChat

Ship or pick up car in Houston? (and Fort Stockton - yes or no?)

Discussion in 'Texas' started by arizonaitalian, May 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I have to decide in the next couple of hours if I'm flying to Houston, buying a Jeep and then driving to Scottsdale (with an overnight in Fort Stockton based on how far I want to get that day after the car purchase).

Vs. find a shipper that can ship the jeep next week to me for a reasonable cost.

Any advice or help on either choice is welcome!

VAF84 likes this.
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    IMO

The flight and fuel will be a lot cheaper than the cost and delay of shipping it.

If you have the time and a good soundtrack, roll the windows down and enjoy the drive!

Steve

RaceMX-M3 and arizonaitalian like this.
  3. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is usually what I do. I've flown and picked up cars/motorcycles as far out as SoCal.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

If you've got the time, I'd do the drive. I flew from Houston to Scottsdale to pick up my F430, then drove it immediately back to Austin. My only issue was a lack of bluetooth for phone calls/radio, and no cruise control. You could also take a detour to the marfa area. Wouldn't tack on too much time, and some hotels there.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ain't much in Fort Stockton. Shoot for El Paso or San Antonio...T

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    P.s. 10 is easy peasy. Nothing to slow you down except El Paso. It's pretty boring though. Hotel El Capitan is interesting. In Van Horn. Van Horn Cattle Company has decent steak...T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Aslan's Coffee Shop ain't bad. Again in Van Horn. Considering you're in the middle of nowhere.
    T

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you know history, there is a lot in the Ft. Stockton area. Think the Comanche Trail. If you’re really adventuresome you can find Horsehead Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Roll the windows down? This time of year? Crank up the A/C!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    True, but as an overnight road trip destination?
    Btw, if your know of any good grub in that neck of the woods, please share...T

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Waffle House?

arizonaitalian likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Scattered, smothered...

Btw, if you're going through Fort Stockton, don't pass up a photo opp with Paisano Pete!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    T

arizonaitalian and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually all the accommodations suck. The best you can hope for is a clean room and an A/C that works. The problem is Houston to Ft. Stockton is a long pull. Houston to Hell Paso is an even longer pull.

There are some fantastic places in EP, but you gotta have some stroke to find em. And, no, it’s been too long. Everybody I used to know is dead and gone. Desert Dawg might be some help, but he has slipped beneath the waters.

But in terms of history, man oh man, the Pass of the North has it. There’s a pass in Colorado that has the headwaters of the Rio Grande. It runs straight south and hooks left at El Paso. Think lumbering dinosaurs following the water. That’s history.

14. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks gents.

I will be jet-lagged, so dreading having to stay awake and drive for 10 hours...I may still ship if it can be pulled together quickly...

Getting to El Paso when leaving Houston at noon (best case) is too far.

So beautiful Fort Stockton seemed to have a couple of brand name generic hotels at least to rest my jet-lagged head before another 10 hour drive the next day.

If I find time, I will scout a BBQ joint or two along the path from Houston to El Paso and try work those in...

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I flew San Antonio to Harlingen and back one day, then drive from San Antonio to Anaheim CA in one shot. Of course, I had a great co-pilot/navigator! And, was 20 years younger.

Luling is not too far north of i-10. Two good Q joints there. Across the street from each other IIRC. Buzzie's in Kerrville has been highlighted in Texas Monthly top bbq joints.

At this time of year, Phoenix is in pacific time zone, no? So, you'll save 2 hours heading west and the days are still getting longer. Time zone changes just west of Van Horn, which is near I-10 /20 junction. Noon Houston is 6 pm London. If it were me, I'd do one short day, get up very early next day - make your jet lag work for you - and then a long day.

T

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks, all great ideas, and I would have liked to go to Luling for BBQ. But, I've decided its easiest/safest to ship the car (especially after I got a $695 quote to ship it - open carrier of course for a Jeep.). Part of my choice was because I have to drive from Scottsdale to Sacramento the next week, then to Reno, then to Wyoming towing a trailer. So...too much driving in one stretch.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ship it.....drive that run alone??

No way.

It was tough in the Ferrari with a tired co driver.
    West Texas is another planet...time stands still and the highway dots are endless.

Balmorrea, would be a notable exception, not sure if they have the problems fixed in the pool??

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Last time we were in El Paso, we stayed downtown at the ALoft. New baseball stadium downtown, lots of construction and renovation going on, a couple of trendy restaurants in the vicinity, etc. Looks like it needs a few years and some nicer living options to catch fire as a destination...T

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Marfa and Alpine are probably the most interesting options in that area, and they're even further off I-10. Would love to see pool at Balmorhea one of these days...T

BigTex and Texas Forever like this.
  20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh Marfa is now a DESTINATION...….but we were talking about bombing west on I10.

Part of my impression might be that we were going west to east, so El Paso at midnight, and eight hours later, of all night driving the dawn showed San Antonio.
    8AM on the Monday we were "supposed to be home"....LOL

Time pressure was needless, we should have taken TWO WEEKs instead of four days, but we really didn't think it thru that way.

It was a majestic trip, over 400 photos at my feet here of crazy adventures.
    Met up with chatters all the way.

My uncle always urged me to write the story and sell it.