Shipping a vintage car from the UK to the US | FerrariChat

Shipping a vintage car from the UK to the US

Discussion in 'British' started by Bryanp, Aug 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I don't know where else to start this thread, so I'll start here. Mods please move if you think there is a better spot.

I am likely buying a '66 Lotus Elan Coupe from a gentleman in the UK, near Birmingham. I have never shipped a car internationally, so am looking for advice there may be on fchat re: what to do/what not to do.

I am getting quotes from several sources, CFR Classic US based), Maersk and Auto Shippers (UK based).

The added wrinkle here is that the car comes with a new/replacement chassis in addition to just the car. So I am obviously looking at a container, and not a roll on/roll off delivery. I would have gone w/ a container even if I were just shipping the car.

Any input is welcome.

2. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I used Cosdel to ship my Jag from the UK to California. Recommended by a friend who has shipped a handful of cars back'n forth across the pond. Not cheap, but excellent service. They delivered exactly as they told me. I'd use them again.

Bryanp likes this.
  3. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I’ve used Schumacher a few times, they were always excellent, professional and responsive.

Cosdel was a challenge shipping to Asia.

Bryanp likes this.