458 - Shopping for a toy and find this 458 | FerrariChat

458 Shopping for a toy and find this 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chris GT3, Oct 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chris GT3

Chris GT3 Rookie

Oct 9, 2021
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Christopher David
    https://austin.ferraridealers.com/en_us/search-used-ferrari/2011/ferrari/458_italia/2011_ferrari_458_italia-ferrari_of_austin-ZFF67NFAXB0180885

Thinking about a new toy and find this 458 at Ferrari Austin. What gives me pause is the price being so low compared to other available cars. The miles are higher compared to others and I'm not a huge fan of the exterior or interior color. I would love to get into a non turbo V8 Ferrari and the above shortcomings are not a total turn-off. Love that the car is local. My range for the next toy was up to 150k but I can do the extra 30 if this is a fair deal. I figured the 458 was 50k out of my range not 30k. Do the high miles make that big of a difference? Does the 458 suddenly melt at 60k? My question not knowing these cars is, am I missing something?

This is my first post here and as you can see from my username I'm a Porsche guy with a GT3. Most likely plan to keep the GT3. Have not had something Italian since my Alfa Milano caught fire after church with a girl I was dating ( what we do for love) in my twenties. We were a block away from church after service when smoke started coming out of the vents. I asked her to go back and get help. She returned promptly with carloads of the youth group and some of the leadership who all started praying. Of course not one of them thought to grab a fire extinguisher in that building or help me get a nearby puddle of water into my dash when they arrived. I did not earn new friends that day but the youth group left with an expanded vocabulary.

Loved that Alfa. Peculiar and odd contraption but always made me happy to drive. Test drove a 488 recently and loved it. Have yet to drive a 458.

Chris

Lance F and cy0811 like this.
  2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I love that exterior color. 2011 is a pretty early year and the mileage is up there so that explains the price to me.There are some maintenance/weak spot issues you probably want to ask if they had been done but I don’t know the list off the top of my head. There’s a sticky thread here with info like that. A modern Ferrari is nothing like an older Alfa. The 458 has some oddities in the electronics compared to a Porsche or BMW of the same age (like no Bluetooth music) but it’s not a major issue once you get used to it. In my experience Ferrari of Austin is pretty low pressure and helpful so if you’re local I’d definitely go by and check it out.

3. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    IMO it's the color that has pushed the price below market. Grigio Alloy is a beautiful color but not for everyone. I suspect they've had the car for a while and despite all other cars trading at higher values, this one just sat. Most first time Ferrari buyers start off with Rosso Corsa and so this color turns off many first time buyers and other buyers who've have other Ferraris have their eyes set on a specific build color so, they won't even consider it.

4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Maybe things have cooled since spring, but the only 458's of any color that sat for more than a couple weeks anywhere were Speciales.
    In my experience the rare colors move faster than the ubiquitous red over tan.

SD455TA and hardhattg like this.
  5. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    It's not at all out of line price wise given the miles; I agree that the color is probably keeping the car from moving but if you like the spec. and get a good PPI go for it.

6. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Poor Alfa. Maybe they were praying for a fire extinguisher to fall from the sky?

I love the exterior color. I could live with the interior if it had the racing seats, but alas.

7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I don't have much insight to offer. I just want to say that I love that half of your post is a story about how your poor Alfa caught fire after church.

8. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    color, miles, and cast wheels might explain pricing

I love the color, miles don’t bother me, and factory forged wheels can be added

Buy it

9. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    It's still shocking to me how this is underpriced and how the 458 Italia has skyrocketed, since I bought my '14 Blk / Blk w/ 4k on the clock in 3/20, for $195k. I was offered $240k few months ago and now she's easily worth $260k w/ 7k on the clock. I this car is up to par, I still think you will make out and it will appreciate for you. The demand is over the top, being the last N/A V8, Pininfarina designed, Schumacher input on wheel, etc. The Achilles heel of the 458, is the transmission. Make sure you get a PPI and that especially the trans is up to snuff.
    Here's a couple pics on mine. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cigarzman and AD211 like this.
  10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Beautiful car.

Regarding the tranny failures, there is no way to catch them during a PPI unless you disassemble the transmission. The failures are related to a cheap $2 sensor that fails and then throws everything out of whack for an expensive repair. There is no way to inspect the sensor. The sensor is good one day and fails the next, there are no signs of impending failure, it just fails spontaneously and without any sign or warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    One thing I noticed in the photos, the left side headlight looks a little raised/misaligned vs. the front bumper, while the right side headlight is flush. Most noticeable in picture #25. I don't know 458s enough to know if that's just a simple/common alignment issue or could indicate if something else is amiss - obviously the PPI should help. Good luck!

Stams likes this.
  12. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    100% spot on!

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Too funny...

I think the price on the 458 is probably a reflection of how few people would find that spec appealing.

Ray

14. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Re: Inspection just get a CPO warranty and you have nothing to worry about. I bet you can get it included at that price. I'm actually going to Austin tomorrow (for F1) and was debating looking at the car (even though my wife will kill me if I make an offer)

I would also want more of the story around the Aftermarket stereo (and anything else...) Keep us posted!

15. Chris GT3

Chris GT3 Rookie

Oct 9, 2021
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Christopher David
    Been a bit since I started this thread and back with an update. Placed a deposit on a car with deal contingent on a clear PPI by Norwood in Dallas Monday 2/21. Excited and nervous all at once. Here is a link to the contraption that has my attention. https://www.tacticalfleet.com/2011-ferrari-458-italia-c-13761/#details-53 Happy to hear any input good or bad.

pnd4pnd, LI2782 and PMiranda like this.
  16. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Ccon
    Congrats! TDF on a 458 is excellent!

17. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    excellent choice. Fingers crossed for your PPI. Whenever you’re comfortable would love to know final price. Congrats!!

18. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Great choice, although I am thoroughly prejudiced. My car is an almost identical twin here in Austin. Good luck! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Chris GT3 and Loxo like this.
  19. Chris GT3

Chris GT3 Rookie

Oct 9, 2021
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Christopher David
    Bob, great looking car! Looks like Austin is soon to have twins.I'm just west of town near Lakeway.

20. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Chris GT3 and Loxo like this.
  21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Bob in Texas, Chris GT3 and Loxo like this.
  22. Chris GT3

Chris GT3 Rookie

Oct 9, 2021
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Christopher David
    Searching the VIN for the 458 I'm likely buying found some old pictures. Below something is shown that sits between the front seats and behind the passenger seat. Any ideas what this may be? I'm not seeing it on the current pictures of my new car.
    View attachment 3286179

Attached Files:

23. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Aftermarket amplifier and audio gear.

24. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Let us know if all goes well and she’s in Austin and we’ll put them side by side. Good luck, you’ll love her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Chris GT3 likes this.