should a 21 year old be driving a new m3? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

should a 21 year old be driving a new m3?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bmwm3, Jul 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Do the kids with the expensive cars pick on you? That would be the one thing that would get me pissed.

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    People who say flat out that parents shouldn't buy their kids expensive things just wish that they had parents who did. Sorry, it's true. Don't hate. DON'T HATE.

The problem is kids that don't appreciate it. There's a difference between a kid who drives a decent car and a kid who is snotty about it. Nothing's wrong with the former. Something's wrong with the latter.

If your kid is a jackass who is snotty about being spoiled is an underachiever because he knows he's never going to have to work, and is just a general ******bag, don't get him a nice car. But, to make a sweeping declaration that people only deserve things if they've bought them themselves? Please. Get a life and stop worrying about other people's.

3. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Spot on. If a kid isn't going to appreciate a $50k M3, he isn't going to appreciate a $10k civic.. If he's going to crash and burn in a fast car, he'll do it in a slow car.. If he's going to be a prick in a nice car, he'll be a prick regardless..

4. sampson

sampson Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    near Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Matt
    No, it just frustrates me. I don't let it get to me, because I know in 10 years or so I'll have the last laugh. Those I consider my good friends drive used cars, so we just rip on each other. Those of us who work hard to get into the best colleges and have the best careers can return as very successful individuals, and we'll be proud that we earned it.

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    spoken like the true sage he is
    play on

6. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    westworld, let me change what i said. He is the most hated man in baseball by coaches and owners. Scott Boras...

7. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Clears it up. Baseball has alot of hated men. :D

8. tpk

tpk Rookie

Jul 4, 2005

Gotta agree. Also, since when is a car an extension of your personality? That's marketing hype BS, and I'm sick of people looking at it that way. A car is transportation, no more, no less. Some is fancier than others. Personally I don't mind driving around an 85 VW Rabbit, it gets me where I need to go, and for a lot less gas than a heavier, more elaborate ride. If you see me in that car and draw any other conclusion than "He drives a Rabbit", you've got some problems.

9. michaelCTSC

michaelCTSC Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2005
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael Lasko
    Im 25 and I shouldnt be driving a new M3... My daily driver is an 02 Imola Red 6 speed and im always getting in trouble. Its very quick and unfortunatly very misleading. Im always going faster than I think. Just got a 79 in a 50 last week.

10. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Buckner?

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    All this site proves is that people at your old school have bad taste in cars. Most of the pictures are of american SUV's that cost like $20k with some ugly rims and tail lights slapped on them. I dont recall seeing any european cars except for a cayenne in those pictures.

I agree with Kenny. If people's parents want to buy them expensive cars, thats great for them. If my parents gave me an M3 when I was a teenager I wouldnt have turned it down.

12. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Yo, whoever drives the Delorean to the high school is a true pimp.

13. sportveloce

sportveloce Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2003
    The Aussie section
    Even though this thread is getting old, I have to second that! The Delorean driver looks like the only student with a little creativity, charisma and a sense of humor!

14. michaelCTSC

michaelCTSC Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2005
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael Lasko
    total pimp!

15. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    He did stick with the 80's outfits, EVERYDAY.

Peee

Eye

EM

PEEE

16. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Why Not. I am 18 and have a Vette. Well, now mine on paper as well as reality. Bought it when I was 15.5. If you can afford it, of course. If you work hard you should reward yourself.

17. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Damn!!! You must put a lot of pennies in that jar. I never knew mowing lawns was such a great racket.

Just busting your balls man...

18. groth99

groth99 Rookie

Feb 21, 2005
    As most people have said, it all depends on the driver. My friend was having a lot of trouble in school, but had a good job, making a bit of money. His father said that if he turned it around he would buy him a bmw m5. This was last year. Sure enough he is 18, and has a BMW m5. This is an odd situtation but I think it was a decent move. The kid is doing great in school, and turned it around completely now going into university. He has also been driving since he was 14, and went to racing school. I drive with him often and have complete confidence in his driving. Although it is a little scary sometimes, and one thing is for sure. I have been with him twice out of the three times he got pulled over, and cops seem jealous. They do not like the fact that an 18 year old is driving a car that they probably wont be able to get.

19. tsang85

tsang85 Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Vancouver
    I see....SO, what exactly are you trying to say in your post? that your parents can and will buy you these expensive vehicles? (Man, you sure impressed me!)
    Maybe its just me, but I just have a problem with parents buying there kids these really expensive cars. But what can I say, we are living in the gold collar generation.

20. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    should a 21yr old be driving a m3?,why not its only a bmw thats it?,i wouldnt buy one ive seen far to much go wrong with them over the last 25yrs in the motor trade spannering.

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Should a 17 year old have an X5 4.4.i?

It's like asking how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop. You'll get a different response for everyone you ask.
    And then there are those who just misunderstand the question! ;)

22. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    How many of these kids will have the money when they hit 35?

23. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I know not me. I'm too busy posting on forums!

24. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    i'm not trying to prove anything

25. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    *You* bought it? With only a high school diploma at 19, what *exactly* is your job?