Should biographies picture their subject warts and all? | FerrariChat

Should biographies picture their subject warts and all?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, Aug 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I just read a bio of the American who after graduation in the US spent his whole life in Italy designing cars (including at least two Ferraris. I enjoyed the book TJAARDA but there were two passages I didn't like; something about an arranged date that didn't go well (who cares about that?) and a comment by his widow in the epilogue that he trusted people too much-- maybe a ref. to numerous projects that never got off the ground. I like my (real life) heroes to be heroic in their biographies so would have left those out, On the other hand I liked it when Tjaarda excoriated DeTomaso for trying to replace him with the credit for designing the Pantera with a woman because it would get more publicity. Any opinions?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Tough question. I would hazard a guess that a biographer has to make many hard decisions on what to include and what to exclude or minimize. They would have to juggle concern for existing family members, legal/company issues and whether to include not so positive aspects of the person's life. It seems like a tap dance in a minefield for some subjects. My own personal two cents is that I would rather have a complete picture of the person warts and all.

piloti, jm2, F1tommy and 2 others like this.
  3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I agree with all that Sharknose just wrote. For any book that IS a biography.... I too.... "would rather have a complete picture of the person warts and all." Otherwise it really isn't a complete biography.

F1tommy, Nembo1777 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Just give us the truth, (relevant) warts and all, please.

Lusso123 likes this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It's not a biography without the failures and foibles of your life. Nobody is perfect and a hero 100% of the time.

I greatly admire Enzo Ferrari - but I'm under no illusion that he would have been a bastard to work for & I probably would not have liked him as a person...
    My personal Hero is Napoleon - and the same thing, while amazing as he was - I doubt knowing him personally would have been great at the time. Perspective gives people the chance to weigh the good and bad, and make a decision...

nobody is heroic all the time.

Nembo1777, Lusso123, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I had to write a book, awaiting publication, in which the central character was...only warts...a bit delicate.

Don't ask who, I'd have to kill you;-)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  7. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    This discussion makes me think of the literature surrounding Colin Chapman's life and works. There is the Jabby Crombac authorized bio, and the Mike Lawrence bio which brings to light some sketchy bits. I think they serve to create a more complete picture of Chapman, along with Tony Rudd's autobiography (which covers Rolls, BRM and Lotus with great insight), plus the Doug Nye and Karl Ludvigsen books, Anthony Pritchard, Ian Smith, Robin Read. I still need to read the Ferguson book. Despite the "warts" and sometimes unbelievable seat of the pants business planning an incredible story, as with many bold and driven characters (Enzo certainly included). As I "mature" I'm thankful to discover more and more connections and insights as I consult more sources (in racing history as well as so many other things). So, as long as it's not merely trying to sell scandal, I'm ok with multiple perspectives.