Should early Diablo`s have under floor insulation? | FerrariChat

Should early Diablo`s have under floor insulation?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Total Recall, Sep 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi, I have been gradually working through my 93 VT from rear to front and I`ve just about finished refurbing the under cockpit area.

When I removed the two big alloy under trays there was lots of insulation, mostly the same material as what you can see on this listing for a Murcielago undertray:

https://www.pacificmotors.com/wp-content/uploads/imported/0/Left-Driver-Floor-Board-Panel-Insulation-Heat-Shield-OEM-Lamborghini-Murcielago-272460854890.jpg?fit=1600%2C1066&ssl=1

I have cut some modern waterproof insulation to shape which shouldn`t soak up the condensation like the old stuff has but now I`m having second thoughts on if it ever had any originally.

My undertrays definitely look like they have been off before and as my car has had plenty of modifications in the past, I don`t know whether it has been added later.

I can`t find anything on any of the parts pages showing the insulation but obviously that doesn`t necessarily mean it wasn`t used.

The last thing I want to do is make my Diablo too quiet if it`s not meant to be there and I think it would be better for the frame long term if there wasn`t any there at all!

Has anyone else with an early(ish) Diablo had their under trays off and seen if there is any insulation there ?

Many thanks!
    Dominic.

2. kmb58

kmb58 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Pics pics pics.. I can host them if need be.. PM me..

3. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks for the offer but it`s ok. I just haven`t got round to subscribing again - will get it sorted but still got room to post a pic. Not great as I just keep a cheap phone in the garage for when I`m working on it so I can grab it while dirty and take pictures as a record. Got hundreds already!

This is the area I`m talking about - with new insulation test fitted but not glued in case I change my mind...Another thinner but heavier layer was glued to the old under tray - I think to stop a different frequency of sound?

Dominic.

4. kmb58

kmb58 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Are we looking from the bottom?

How did you get the floor skins off? What are you putting back on?

My car had a very stiff insulation layer as received... likely other stuff was removed. I suspect like on the Murcielago link you showed.

Why not upgrade with more
    Modern materials at this time? Seems like an insignificant piece of the puzzle.. especially if it's a driver..

5. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Yes, that`s right looking up from underneath. The alloy trays were riveted and sealed - not too bad to get off.

It`s definitely going to be driven and I`m putting modern insulation back on - I just didn`t want to spoil the "fun" by making it quieter inside than stock. I don`t mind less road noise ofc but I thought maybe some of the engine noise gets transmitted back through the floor too? If yours also had the stiff insulation then that`s good news at least I know it should be there:)

Thanks again,
    Dominic.

6. kmb58

kmb58 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    That is interesting! Can you show a pic of the floors? My car (6.0) had steel floors, welded on. Wholey Hell the pita it was removing them.

I'll be making vacuum bagged carbon fiber floors for my car.. quite soon, actually.

7. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    #7 Total Recall, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi, yes that is interesting - and a lot of work!

Looking at the parts diagrams I can only see the riveted trays on the diagrams for the (presumably pre-facelift) VT.

I won`t post the pic of the parts page as it is copyright but this link shows part 29 (left panel or right panel) as being the under trays with the rivet holes around the edges - but only for this model....
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/lamborghini/diablo-vt-1994/bodywork-lighting/frame-elements-38640

The only steel welded floor on my car is obviously the drivers` footwell area that mounts the throttle pedal.

Pic is of one of my now pretty rough old undertrays . The new ones are being powder coated as I thought it would be a good idea to add stone-chip guard to protect them better underneath but it just didn`t look right, so I have sent them off to get coated properly!

Dominic.

8. kmb58

kmb58 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Holy crap!! They're cheap!!! Ugh. Now im torn.. just use those or make my CF parts.. Hell,'ice spend more in materials and equipment than those cost.. ugg.

9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If they are actually available and not NLA. That it what my car has on the drivers side, the aluminum with the three rubber plugged holes. The passengers side on my car has a steel one.

10. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    You might regret. Carbon sheets are like drums.

11. kmb58

kmb58 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Naw. Murcielago had them. Should be fine. Plus I'm kinda going to do my own thing with insulation and such.

12. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    The under floor area generally doesn`t seem like a great design anyway as there isn`t much room between the under trays and the frame rails further in.

In a country with a climate like the UK especially, trapped water is a bit of a worry - there seems to be plenty of potential cavity areas!

I know in theory it should be possible to seal everything up nicely but if any water does get in it`s probably going to stay there for a while - and either way there`s still going to be condensation over time.

There`s 8 of those rubber plugs listed for the car:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/lamborghini/diablo-vt-1994/bodywork-lighting/frame-elements-38640/004131483

Assuming rain water is successfully sealed out and that condensation build up is hopefully slow - is the idea to remove those bungs once or twice a year for a few days and let everything ventilate?

You could put a number of small open drain holes in but then it would probably let rain water in too easily if driven in the wet....

Cheers,
    Dominic.

13. String

String Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    The carbon floor of the Murcielago is more than a sheet of carbon , it has a honeycomb core in the cavity areas between chassis rails and is quite thick at the perimeter also .
    I have a picture of a cross section if that will help.
    I think it would at least make the whole car more rigid as it is designed to do in the Murcielago.

14. kmb58

kmb58 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Yah! Post pics!

I think the Murcielago panels are completely flat. The floors I am making will mimic the OE pressed in structural pattern that should be there. Using the hex layer wouldn't work. Rather than that, I'll be running approximately 3/16" thick, vacuum bagged carbon fiber. Should be plenty stiff, especially compared to the steel that came out of the car.