Should Elon Musk tell the Germans to shove it and move his gigafactory to Poland? | FerrariChat

Should Elon Musk tell the Germans to shove it and move his gigafactory to Poland?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, Feb 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am tired of ecology groups jacking Elon around. Because two member of the local city council in that town where his new factory is are sick, they can't get decisions made that would greenlight production. keeping 20,000 workers from starting work. I think he should quietly buy land in Poland and began moving the machinery and cars there, program endless trainloads that will be seen on the news worldwide. That would be Germany's last chance to have a totally modern car plant. Other business owners would be scared to start a plant in Germany seeing the ecologists have way too much power. I think he should play that ball ....

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I found a quote about Walmart, another anti-union company where it said Walmart shutting down five stores in four states for “plumbing problems,” an excuse many are interpreting as “union problems.” The unin 8n Germany isn't just factory by factory but acrosss the trade, very powerful

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm sure Mr. Musk knew what he was getting into when he decided on Germany for the site of his plant. It's not like he was looking for the lowest cost or least green when he choose the most regulated country in the world to build his factory. He must have other reasons and a few small delays aren't going to derail the process.

Musk is driven by a singular goal: Make mankind a multi-planet species. Everything else just gets in the way. People try to pin larger and usually more sinister aspirations for Musk but really, he's very transparent and single minded.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #4 dustman, Feb 12, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Very well stated. The get off my lawn crowd in PR could use this common sense approach.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Tesla's future? Dust off your Crystal Ball...

Tesla is a fascinating company, because once Elon Musk came on board (he didn't found it but bought into it) he became a disruptor in the auto industry by not bothering with ICE cars but going directly to EVs.
    I've tried to envision the near future for them but with his quixotic ways of maneuvering, there is no way to predict Elon's next move.
    Let me pose some WILL HAPPENs as opposed to WON'T HAPPENs. Opinons welcome...

WILL HAPPEN

- Tesla will start plants in Australia, and South Africa to forward Musk's goal of having a plant on every Continent..

Tesla will start a Marine division and bury the ICE outboard makers in one year

--Tesla will license a firm like Saleen to be their approved mod shop like AMG was originally to Mercedes before they were brought in-house

--Tesla will equip one police force with Teslas and the money savings results will have other departments world wide clamoring to buy them

--Tesla will change the name Full Self Driving to something more descriptive like "Driving Assist." Germany is already investigating his use of the FSD phrase as inaccurate.

--Tesla will sponsor an award at Pebble Beach for classic car bodies fitted over Tesla chassis.

--Musk will start a Technical Institute, hiring the most promising grads;

WON"T HAPPEN
    --Tesla won't go for a full convertible because it'll hurt their crash test results

--Tesla won't go below $25,000 in a car because there's no big profit at the bottom end of the market.

--Tesla won't buy Mercedes. Ironically Mercedes once bought 10% of Tesla but sold the stock too soon. Now that his firm is worth far more than Mercedes he could buy them but since most of their cars and research is ICE oriented, he'd be buying a company that is too rooted in the past

--The Tesla roadster is supposed to have some optional way to float above the pavement. If it does it will be for short distances, more of a dog trick than something seriously needed. Good for fording flooded roads, though