Should exotics reach maintenance standards of Honda's, Toyota's, etc? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should exotics reach maintenance standards of Honda's, Toyota's, etc?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PeterS, May 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I agree 100%. I too have done my own engine out major on my 348. Took me 4 hours to take it out and 4 to put it back in. All by myself! Using no shop lift, or "special" engine cradle. This was taking my sweet time, and double checking my triple check. Not only do they over charge for time but they also rob you for the hourly rate. I think this is why many owners get so mad. They start doing their own work and find out that it really isn't that hard, and doesn't take the time that they were told to do a job. But hey, for some ignorance is bliss. I don't think it is so blissful.

2. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Since jan. last year and everything is perfect, I had a 328 in which the a/c started to go bad during the summer and living in florida was terrible, I never got around to getting it as good as new, sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My only comment is R&D costs.

Toyota and Honda probably spend more just on R&D than Ferrari and Lamborghini combined spend on R&D. R&D is what irons out the bugs ...

The only other factor is that your Toyota and Honda are used almost everyday, your Ferrari is not. We all know that the more a machine is used the more reliable it will be!

Pete

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Way to go Ernie!! It's nice to run into someone else that proves that the dealers are crooks! Aside from being a bit painful to take the engine out, the work is reletively easy!

Ciao...Dino