Should I buy a handgun for my girlfriend? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should I buy a handgun for my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Oct 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I love this responce. I grew up in a town of 40,000 people. Great town, zero crime problem, quiet neighborhood of $600k homes.

At least, it was untill a girl in my Jr. High class less than 2 blocks away was pulled out of her bed, raped, and then stabbed to death.

Scumbags have *cars* and can be anywhere you or I can be. A system to yell 'GUESS WHAT, YOU'RE ****ED' is good, but layering that with active tools for defense is better.

2. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    A dog is of course one of the best active systems available for property defence.
    Several other weapons are available that can be highly effective without worrying about children...bearspray in every room drawer etc... The attacker can have a real change of heart after a shot of spray designed to deter a grizzly. 99.9% of attackers then become a crying baby in the fetal position on the floor. Dry practice with it as the direction of the shot in a panic can become an issue.
    Firearms present an interesting arguement for home defence and this thread would go for miles but I have employed a shorty .410 shotgun for females in a previous job where this was an issue...but no kids were present.
    Self defence classes can be a great confidence booster and can equip a woman with the techniques and practice that is required to make the correct move with the appropriate level of aggression. Even 3-5 basic classes are a great investment IMHO. Most women would not think to even rake an attackers eyes with their nails...take the classes.
    I'm telling you that even at 11 years old, my daughter would put someone in a world of hurt...I don't make them fearful of the world, I only equip them to be aware and confident...the first line of defence.

Directly to the issue of a .38 though, I would be too concerned about having a lethal weapon 'that' available...you can't have it instantly available and secure from kids at the same time. If kids are present, take away the mystique of the gun with proper training in firearms handling...professional soldiers are injured and killed through accidental discharges so I don't really believe kids should have access to firearms without the direct hands on supervision on a range.

At the end of the day...we all do what is comfortable for us.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

4. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I agree with those that vote for the shotgun.

For home defense, you want a gun to be as visually intimidating as possible. If you are confronting an inturder, even a 20 ga shotgun is going to appear huge.

Hearing a pump shotgun being racked should be enough to make an intruder either wet his pants or leave.

I'd probably go for the 20 ga, look for the Mossberg "Persuader".

That said, Remington has a really nice short barrel in the 870 line. It's labeled for "marine defense" or something like that. 6 shot magazine short barrel pump, with a chrome-like finish.

If you must go handgun, consider a large pistol like the Colt Python, assuming your girlfriend can handle a larger gun. IMO, pistols are generally more intimidating, and can be easier to use in a high-pressure situation.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have a Winchester Defender, 12 Gauge shot gun. It comes with an 18" barrel. With the stock removed and substituted with a pistol grip I can hold it in my hand, pointed straight down without the barrel touching the floor. Easy to maneuver in the house.

It holds 6 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber. The first 4 rounds are shot shells and the last 3 are slugs.

I would use that in bad light long before I would consider a pistol. Fortunately I haven't had to use either.

6. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Excellent replies with great thanks. I think the dog may be the best idea. What I keep thinking about is if Chelsea (10) gets hurt somehow. I would never forgive myself. Once you decide to make a decision, it's a pretty tough one!