Should I buy an older and less desired F-car now or wait for my dreamcar, F355? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Should I buy an older and less desired F-car now or wait for my dreamcar, F355?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alx355gt, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should I buy an older and less desired F-car now or wait for my dreamcar F355?

1. Take the risk, buy and enjoy a 308 or Mondial now, try upgrading later

2. Be patient, wait for the F355

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I just bought a Mondial t. I could have waited a few years to buy a 456, but why wait? I can enjoy a Mondial t today, and a 456 tomorrow!

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Very well said! ANY exotic is a pain in the ass to own at times, and you'd better have that grin from the thrill of it or you'll soon tire of the sacrifices owning such a car requires. Unless you can just throw money at problems, you'll need to budget money and/or time to keep a Ferrari on the road. Be sure you love your car or you'll have a poorly maintained, POS Ferrari that will be hard to unload at any kind of a fair price. The expense of ownership accounts for the vast number of beater 308's out there.

As for what to buy, I say buy the best car you can afforn NOW. A 328, Mondial 3.2 are great choices. Stay away from 12's as the cost and hassle of ownership makes them poor choices for a first time buyer. Make one your second or 3rd Ferrari when you know what you're getting in to.

Life is short and there's always something else you need to do first. A wife will always find something to spend money on besides a toy car. Before you know it you're an old fart and still don't have a Ferrari. I bought my first toy car 3 years ago (at age 41) and all I can say is I can't understand why I didn't do it 20 years ago! Even my wife has warmed up to the idea of a toy car.

Ken

3. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No no no.
    House, Ferrari, then family and kids, if you don't have someone special.
    You don't want to be one of the few(if any) F-car owner in the world that rents, lol.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Ken, I say stay away from the 8s and buy a 12. IMHO you never realize the full Ferrari experience until you own a 12 ! And, the key to saving on ownership, maintenance and repairs is to drive the car. My 86 TR cost me less in 3 years and over 30k miles than my 348 Spider did in 2 years and 10k miles. I don't recall my 328 being any less expensive to own than my 330GTC, 400GT or TR either. If the car sits in the garage, be it a 6, 8 or 12, it will end up costing more to own than it you drive in 5k to 10k miles a year.

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I really respect TR owners as they are said to have the highest mainatainence costs and parts costs, but they ooze FERRARI! I think either you had a bad 348 or you made really good choices with the 12's. I don't think there is much debate that most services on a 12 are higher than an 8 and in general they are more expensive to own.

I agree with you that a Ferrari 12 cylinder engine is the top rung. The sounds, the heritage...no doubt about that! My point was that as a new owner, in general, an 8 will be a better choice for the lowered costs.

Ken

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Ken, a new owner does not necessarily mean a poorer owner. Even rich folks have to buy their "first" Ferrari first you know. While the 30k service on a 12 may be a little more, not by that much . Especially between the Boxer and TR vs.the 348 and 355 which all require engine removal for a major service. And, the older 12s such as the Daytona, 365, 330 and 275 have very inexpensive major services although the parts may be a little higher. For the added joy you get with a 12, I am still of the opinion that even a first time buyer is better off with a 12 than an 8. As far as TR maintenance is concerned, I suspect those expensive cars tend to be garage queens. The only problem I had with my TR in over 30k miles was a bad clutch slave cylinder and the little maplight switch on the overhead console. I did have a 30k service that cost me about $5k.

7. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Why not? lol
    At least I'll experience the thrill of owning a Ferrari then :D I can always get a house later.

I know someone with a Porsche 911, she stills lives with her parents :D

Greets, Alex.

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

True, but he said he couldn't afford the 355 yet so I assumed there was a budetary issue to consider for him. I welcome your opinions on owning a 12 cylinder Ferrari. I had discounted owning one myself due to afore mentioned budgets; I figured my first Ferrari would be a 308 or Mondial. I love the 412i with the 5 speed; they're not expensive to buy and if the maintainence is less that I suspected maybe there's one in my future yet! I need another garage slot though...

Ken

9. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I use to feel the same way until I owned one! Believe me when I tell you it is just a car. Granted it is fantastic to drive, and I love my car but it is not how I envisioned it would be! I would guess most owners would same the same thing.

10. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well, at least Frank gets bonus points for consistency...regardless, I love his passion...

11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Alex...after ~ 3 years of ownership, here are my thoughts...

1. Ownership of any Ferrari is an experience. I can't explain it, you simply have to get in there, buy one, and experience it for yourself. You'll learn a lot.

3. Even though a 355 is my favorite modern Ferrari and the one I really want, the 308 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I get itchy if I haven't driven her in a few days.

3. Once the 'first' Ferrari is paid for (308,328, Mondial, etc), you have $xxK sitting in the garage until you can make that next little jump up. I have a 308QV now (paid for) and the next jump to a 355 isn't $65-75K...it's only $30-35K.

4. Lastly...take it from a married guy, if you don't buy it now, you'll wait much (MUCH) longer for the 355 than you have patience for. A larger house, furniture, remodeling, BABIES, etc eat up any disposable income you'd want to spend on the Ferrari. See #3.

5. Like others have said, Life isn't a dress rehersal and I too have had a friend that passed way before he was ready to enjoy life.

Cheers...Greg

12. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    If buying the car is a struggle what are these people going to do when:

* tires, replaced every 6 months (unless they are blvd. cruisers)
    *repairs, if they buy used no warranty
    *track days so you can actually drive the car
    *insurance
    *upgrades (performance parts, exhuasts)

It's not just the price of the car but keeping it on the road is where you need cash. Plus like the old saying goes if you have to ask you can't afford it.

Now as for having kids what the hell does that have to do with owning a sportscar ? I have a 5 & 2 year old boys and all I drive are sportscars and sportbikes. My wife drives the family cars (sedans,SUV, coupes) . If we go out as a family and I drive we take a coupe unless we are going to a surf break then the glorified station wagon (SUV). Just because you start a family you need not give up your rides, unless again you couldn't afford them in the first place.

WFO ain't driving no stinking familyman car .