Should I do major service now, or wait one more year? | FerrariChat

Should I do major service now, or wait one more year?

Discussion in '360/430' started by William Tell, Mar 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    Ferrari 360 Spider, 2003 model.

Last major service (belt + clutch) in Feb 2014 @ 20.000 Km
    Sat at dealers for 1 year, until I purchased the car in April 2015
    Now 4 years later (from service) @ 38.000 Km (but only driven the last 3 years)

Car runs perfectly, clutch is fine. Only drive in summer, but take it out for an hour or so every other month during winter time. Always starts, no problem (no tender, but turn off battery in frunk when it sits for a while).

I guess the sensible thing is to go for the major service, but interested in hearing your views and what your experience has been. Some say 3 years, others 5 years, and a few nutbolts 10 years :)

Thanks.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This comes down to your risk tolerance. Ferrari spec is 3 years. Personally, I am ok with the risk of going 5 years. BUT, if something goes wrong I know it means a lot more money.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I would have all the fluids changed for sure, especially since it sat for a year. My major is about every 3.5 years. Fluids changed every year.

Skidkid and Mickster like this.
  4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    5 no problem
    I did mine at 4 because one of the pulleys was making a squeaking sound, otherwise I would have waited one more year
    By the way they were 17k miles apart and the belts looked BRAND NEW
    I don’t think those belts will never brake , more probable a problem with a pulley or a tensioner than a belt.
    Not a bad idea to just inspect the belts from underneath when they are doing the oil service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
  6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Have you seen those parts yourself??
    they look like out of the shelf
    I read this Aldous Voice website when I was debating about changing after 3 years and I became paranoid. Truth is 5 years is more than enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    It depends. If you are keeping the car “forever” then do what you think is right, and accept the fact that the belts could go (18k km is a healthy drive, so you can’t ignore that). If you are planning the car at some point down the road, delaying a major will be frown upon. For ex. I would never buy this car from you as I would fear you tried to cut corner on maintenance to save a bit of money. But that’s just me :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Belts rarely show exterior damage so it is a ridiculous measure if a belts condition. The damage starts inter-layer and is caused by repeated flexing of the belt resulting a heat buildup. That means you can really only see the damage with advanced imaging tools. You also need to remember that these cars have redline at 8500. Force on the belt goes up with the square of the velocity so taking the RPM from 5K to 9k (rough numbers) means the force

What all of the above means is that you can't tell a belts condition by looking and they take a lot more force than the everyday car argument that is used. Don't get me wrong, I am still in the 5 year camp but it comes down to risk tolerance.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I do 5 year intervals personally. I think if you don't track the car and avoid the higher RPMs the belts can go a LONG time before replacement. Ferrari assumes track time once for month and usage of the entire power band from what I can gather.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Bought my car in July 2014. Last major was in Dec 2013. I decided to have one done last December, so, 4 years for me.

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I did mine this fall, prev done in 2012... mechanic thought it was done just in time.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    ^^^This. Also, since it sat a year at the dealer, the belt could have taken a “set”. You are likely to own the car long enough to need a belt change soon anyway, so why risk it? Do it now and you can wait 3-5 years knowing you can. Even when not on the track, in serious backroads driving, the engine easily sees 5-7000 rpm for more than just occasional periods.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Every 5 years on my '99 Modena is what I am doing.
    If your car truly sat for a year, I would do them now.