Should I.......or shouldn't I??? HELP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should I.......or shouldn't I??? HELP

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Visions of American Pie. LOL!

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Vik--I've been intenting to watch it but haven't had a chance....Heard it's hilarious.....

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    why don't you rent him a really cool limo as a gift. He'll be safe, it's cool, and most importantly he can pay more attention to the girl he's trying to impress.

Vincent.

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually no one can help you in this matter, because none of us knows your son better than you. So I don't think you should make the decision based on opinion from internet message board who never met the person Adam in question.

What I can say is, let him drive your car while you are in the passenger side, let him get an idea what the car is capable of. Then since he is a responsible kid, he prolly would know how to handle it.

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Thanks, Vincent--That's an option he knows to explore on his own. In the final anlysis for him, there is "Ferrari" and the rest is "not exactly"....

PS: BTW. love Napa Valley.... spent a last weekend at the Hennessy House Bed&Breakfast downtown Napa (indudged way too much Cab....)

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'd say: no. And that goes double if your insurance prohibits it. (Mine prohibits anyone with "less than 10 years driving experience" from driving my 328, and I plan to stick to that.)

He'll get his chance, and he'll be a much better driver by then.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Rent him a Limo, Prom night is 1 of the most dangerous nights of the year. I stay at home with my 512TR locked away on prom nights, I wont even drive it myself. 18yr old hormones, 425hp, & peer pressure will probably overule his better judgment & you might have a nasty situation on your hands

8. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Get him at least 100 hours of seat time in the car before he barrows it on his own. Tell him you MIGHT let him have it on prom night but you are concerned about the other drunk kids and may not let him have it.

If he says "I understand pops. Whatever you decide is fine by me." let him have the car, if not in the garage she says.

In the least it'll be good father/son time before he leaves the nest and you'll have some good memories.

9. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    date)

2. Let him drive it to dinner and to the dance. Then return the car before he goes to after parties.[/QUOTE]

This would be my choice. Let him make the grand entrance. Then switch cars with him later. Its the after-parties where things get out of hand.

10. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    My kids are young still, (6 & 8) and it's an easy call from here, no way. I'd rather they be in a limo, taxi, guaranteed designated driver. Even a 60's VW Bug would be more than I'd want to deal with on prom night.

Maybe when they're 35 years old or buy it themselves (I know, I can dream).

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

I would not. You never know what could happen. I don't doubt his skills and resposibily but you never know. He can get pressure by his friends to "let is hang" or "burn out!!!" and you never know what could happen after that. You hear the stories on wreckedexotics.com and you don't want to be featured in the same website. Best thing to do is rent one or even chauffer him to the prom. My ex-boss did the same with his kid in his 2003 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo X-50 maxed out with more options than one can count (Only one oin Canada) The car was sitting new in his showroom (Zero Kilometers - In stock vehicle) and He took the boy to his prom in the car, using the car for the first time.

It was great. No problems. Problem is I don't know where you'd stuff your son's daughter in a TR? *hmmm*

All the best in your decision.

Vasco.R

12. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Weird I just asked my Dad the other day if he would let me take the 355 to the senior prom this May. He said "no", but did offer the Cl500, XLR, or the H2. The reason he said no was because he felt I would get caught up in the moment. I am a good driver, and over the last few months have driven some fast cars at work such as Z06's, an M5, Z28's, and a million stick shift beaters and have become pretty good at driving stick. ANYONE can drive any exotic at the speed limit. But, once you try and push the car that is when **** happens. I have driven the 355 a few times now, and each time it feels even easier to drive and more natural. So, if you do let him take the 512 make sure he gets a lot of seat time. At night, excited, hot girl in the car, there is noone that wouldn't try and have fun in any fast car. At least if its a slushbox with driver aids all over the chances of something bad is much lower. I don't blame him though. BTW last year he wouldn't even let me take the CL to the prom. I had to beg my Mom to let me take her H2, and the extra interior room made things easier then a 355 would have. :).
    Erik

13. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Let him take it. Prom only comes once.

14. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    when i was in high school, a class mate took his father's countach to prom...he got pulled over 5 separate times that night, not becuase he was speeding or anything, but just because a young guy was driving it. if he drove it, im sure that hed get pulled over, so make sure that he's smart about it and doesnt even take ONE drink that night.

otherwise, if ur confident that he can handle the car and take care of it, himself, and the passenger, then its up to u.

15. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If my Dad gave me a 512TR for the night when I was eighteen, I would have skipped the prom and took the car out cruisin.

DrewH

16. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

My kid brother is 3 years younger than me. When I turned 19 I bought myself a nice new convertible SAAB, he BEGGED me to take it to homecoming and I let him. At about 1am I got a call... "Nick- I wrecked your car."

I got in his GMC and raced to where he was. There he was with my front qtrpanel bashed in with THREE chicks in the car. I yelled "WTF are you doing driving my car at 1am when you have THREE chicks that you could be doing OTHER stuff with!?!?" and then I booted him a hard one in the ass and gave him his car back.

He didn't wreck it showing off, he wrecked because he was an inexperienced driver distracted by too many passengers. I did the same thing when I was 16.

Moral of the story is that the 512 and the NSX are two-seaters... only one other passenger to think about... no worries there. I'd give him the NSX as it has all the creature comforts of his Mustang and damn near the style of the Ferrari.

Limo isn't right for prom night. That's the one HUGE night for high school kids, let him take an exotic- just don't expect him home by midnight. ;)

Tell him to be safe, show him some pictures on www.wreckedexotics.com of those idiots trying to impress their (now dead) girlfriends. That should put the fear of God into him before he takes the car out and will activate his Reticular Cortex.

All the best,

Nick

17. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Tom,

It seems as if one of the things you must do is to drive with him to a nice secluded road somewhere, and switch seats with him to give him a chance to handle the car. I believe this alone will be enough to sway your decision one way or the other. Hopefully he will have made reservations for himself and his date at a hotel somewhere, as neither the TR or NSX lend much by way of space(if you know what I mean). The Mustang may be better suited for this. :)

The bottom line is that this is a personal decision. You know more about him than anyone else. If it were me, I would take up the "you only live once" philosophy and lend him the car for the night. If he respects you or the car, he will not do anything daft in it. I also like the aforementioned "curfew" idea.

Hope this helps.

-DC

P.S. Go rent American Pie immediately! :)

18. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick

You live in Media huh, i live in newtown square maybe i have seen your 355 before. what color is it? can i have a ride jk.

19. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Take him out driving on a few seperate occasions (make sure you go out in the rain a couple times too) - you said he drives your NSX and is able a responsible kid so why not?

You only go to your senior prom once, might as well remember it as a "perfect" night, if he's able to control the car, let him take it.

20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah I live in Media. The 355 is black with tan interior. (see my profile). The weather hasn't been that great lately, but it's been out a few times this year cruising down west chester pike. When the weather gets better drop me an email or PM and we should meet up. Sorry for the OT post. U might see my Dad driving his blue XLR around.
    Erik

21. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, that is a tough call. Does your son have a perfect driving record? If so than that's a plus. Also, I'd check with your insurance company. If you are the only one that is insured than it's a no brainer. If you decide yes, then tell him that the cops will be in full force that night and that this will be a sign of maturity as to how he handles things. Maybe record the mileage so that there are no joy rides with friends. Check with the place holding the prom and have someone of authority keep an eye on the car for you for a few bucks. Othewise good luck with this one and let us know your decision. Take some pics. Hey, there's an idea.....pay some guy to take pics and keep an eye on things for you ;)

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I wouldn't do it.

Some people seem to think that a drive before would give you an indication of whether or not he could handle it, etc. IMHO, nothing will give you any indication of what it will be like when he's got the girl in the car, friends in other cars nearby, the excitement of prom, etc. Add in all the other crazies on the road, how careless and moronic his classmates can be, and the fact that a Ferrari is not as safe of a car as, say, a Volvo or something. All in all, it's a simple no in my book.

Although I would have killed to go to the prom in an NSX.

23. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Forza1-- Thanks. I recognize the Merrill Lynch Bull next to your User name. Are you currently w/ Merrill? I was their Energy Analyst for a number of years and also worked for the Currency Trade Desk until about 10 years ago.

24. EHKim

EHKim Karting

Dec 17, 2003
    Socal
    A compromise:

Let him take the 512TR to the prom but follow him in the Mustang.
    After your son arrives at the prom, switch cars and drive the 512 TR back home.

25. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Tom,

Not quite yet, but I'm certainly on my way. My family has strong ties with Merrill. How did you enjoy your time there? It's always interesting speaking with someone on the inside such as yourself.

email: [email protected]

-DC