Should I.......or shouldn't I??? HELP | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Should I.......or shouldn't I??? HELP

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I was very involved in a previous thread that was similar to this one, although more extreme. It involved a college sophmore whos father was considering letting him take his brand new Modena spider back to college. You cant imagine how many people thought this was OK.The thread was very recent check it out. It was "shes finally here" by udalmia, last post 3/17/04. I dont want to get it started again because it made me crazy. We all want to do whats best for our kids and make them happy, but saying no, and being a parent as opposed to their friend is way too rare today. At my kids high school prom they had a lock in where the kids stayed overnight at a YMCA where they swam and played basketball, etc. All bags were checked for alcohol and drugs, no kids were alllowed to drive, a bus brought them from school to prom. Their were parents at the Y to keep an eye on the kids. They had a great time with no drinking, smoking, snorting or driving, and they were safe. Isnt that what we as parents want for these kids. My son, who was a straight A student at the number 1 high school in NJ and is now at Brown U. totalled our Acura coupe 1 month after getting his license. Luckily he lived to learn. He had told us he never speeds, but that night he let peer pressure get to him. He almost killed himself and a very good friend. This was with no alcohol or drugs involved, just stupidity of youth .He still has nightmares 3 years later. Too many of these stories in my surrounding area, very, very scary. Its about priorities safety vs. nice guy and having to live with oneself if god forbid somthing bad happens. Just my point of view.

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Charlie-- Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I am sorry of the accident but glad to know the story didn't end in tragedy.

3. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    No problem Tom. I hope it is helpful in your decision process. I know how tough it is.

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah good eyes. The pic is taken infront of my shore house in OC. If you are nearby just stop by. Also, those buicks are sweet rides.
    Erik

Tom, What are you going to do?

5. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    I would take him out for a few 'lessons' or to get him acquainted with the car. Take him out 3-4 times a few weeks before to get him comfortable..

6. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Erik--- We just returned from a drive test. While amazed and astounded at the power of the car, he handled it beautifulbly.

I also shared with him everyone's comments. I echoed everyone's concerns and safety issues of driving on prom night. I told him I'd prefer he doesn't drive the car. However, as a compromise, I provide the following solutions:

1)He can take the Ferrari but I will need to chaperone in my 02 NSX and make the switch for Ferrari after he arrives (as many here had suggested). The NSX is all "his" for the remainder of the evening.

2)I will pay for a stretch limo for him and his girl for the entire evening. This way he can let someone else does the driving and he enjoy the evening with his date.

He takes option #2 and ask for a stretch H2 limo (I didn't even know such a thing even exists...but he said his friends had rented one) so there you have it...In the end, I understand this is a personal decision but it's nice to share with Adam your perspectives so he is aware these are genuine issues of concerns and that I just wasn't embellish them on my own in order to deny him of a memorable senior prom with his girl (who will go to a different college in the westcoast so this is likely one of their last gatherings).

Thanks a bunch for all and everyone of your insightful advice and wonderful suggestions.

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    A very wise choice on his part.

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That's great that you figured out a solution where everyone is happy.
    Erik

9. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    They will probably remember the prom for the rest of their lives for the right reason. I agree. A good choice.

10. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Tom,
    Good compromise. In the end the girl may be the more memorable part. Hey, you shared the car!!?? I know, Im sick but just because we get old we still feel like we are 18 on the inside

11. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The day when a yellow '02 NSX isn't good enough for a high school kid who was already given a new Mustang 'vert is the day our perspectives are warped. No offense, but your son is already in the 1%. I also don't understand the doting parents' continuing correlation of grades with behavior. I was an excellent student and so were most of my "A-crowd" friends. They were also the wildest on the weekends.

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Challenge--- Your statement is poignant and has merit. I appreciate your candor and I am empathetic to your point. I could remember going through grats school, holding down 3 jobs while living solely on Ramen noodles. At a cost of $1 for 10 bags, these were my sole staples of breakfast/lunch and dinner on most days.

Most kids today are undoubtedly growing up a bit differently than us. As parents, we can only hope "as we afford them of priviledges and lavish them of indulgences that we can also strive to instill good principle of parentings. Again, I echo your sentiment and appreciate your forthcoming.

Tom,

13. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    This is a tuff issue this is how I would handle it. First of all I would call Adam's gril friends parents, to see if they will let her in the car. If they say it is ok. Then I would let him drive the car. But I would go out with him and show him the doo's and don'ts.

Let the car scare him a bit so he will respect it. One other think I am not sure how you drive your car, but you know his friends are going to ask him to burn out. So you might light up the tiers for Adam.

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    No.

Here's why - even with all of his sense and knowledge about the car, he'll still have an urge to lead foot it more than a few times, especially if his friends around, if they are in cars/limos next to him, and there's the possibility of alcohol involved.

I'd say, rent him a very nice car for the night instead... but the 512... hrmmm. =/

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This is good advice which leans on the Yes. Also, make sure he knows that a car is a living thing - and needs time to warm up.