Should I order the twin clutch or the 6 speed? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should I order the twin clutch or the 6 speed?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Riskinator, Aug 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #26 410SA, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
    I believe that despite the fact that Ferrari lists a 6 speed shifter as an option for the California, they will simply not supply any to the US. They are concerned about CAFE standards to a certain extent and the paddle shifters are more efficient in managing fuel consumption. In fact the 599, a super high performance car, is programmed to start in AUTO mode precisely to provide better fuel economy for the CAFE calculation.
    They may possibly not produce a 6 speed shifter California for the first production year at all, if ever. Witness the 599. There are virtually no 599's with stick shifts available and the 612 is simply not available in stick shift. Ferrari is sinking an huge amount of RD money into developing ever more sophisticated paddle shifted trannys without clutch pedals, and there is no reason for them to offer ancient technology when the rest of the car is optimized for the double clutch setup.
    If you are really fixated on a three pedal setup buy an old Ferrari and enjoy stirring the pot in a car that doesn't need two hands on the wheel at all times.

2. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    I think that's the problem. No one is going to know your "situation or motivation" and thus it is always a personal choice. If you're taking votes, I'll vote 6-speed. "Click Clack". You won't get that with paddle shifters.

3. Riskinator

Riskinator Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    North America
    Not according to my Canadian Ferrari dealer (where I'm buying my car). 6 speed is available 6 months after the launch. He told me I have a decision to make.

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'll stand corrected when the first stick shift is delivered to N. America, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The first US cars won't reach here until early 2009 and I'm certain there won't be a stick shifted car in the initial deliveries through the end of the first US version model year, around when the factory closes for summer vacation.

5. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just seems crazy to me...buy the most modern Ferrari, with the most old school technology you can put in it. No doubt a clutch pedal and stick is fun, but that belongs in a 328, etc... For a California, 7spd dual is the way to go!

6. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1.......:D

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    7 speed all the way baby! :D:D

8. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    F@ck Yeah Pappy....you tell him!!

S-E-V-E-N S-P-E-E-D :D :D

Sorry, I got excited....it's the beer talking!!

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Sweet! :D:D

I have been sucking back some Heinekens all afternoon too. :p:p

10. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Why would the guy go as far as to ask for transmission option advice on a California specific sub-forum if he hated the California?

11. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #36 opus10583, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
    ...We're not all teenagers?

12. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    LOL, perfect!

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Nothing like a little driver involvement!!! LOL!!!!

14. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Good to hear that "L" has kept his word for you... however, there seem to be several guys thinking they're number one (I personally know 3)... either way, I'm sure all the "number ones" will get early cars.

IMO, you should go for the DC Transmission. 410SA is correct in that the early cars are exclusively F1 (since the 360/F430/599 etc), with 6-speed deliveries afterwards. Why not order a DC, try it out and see what you think. If you don't like it or find you miss the "click-clack" shifting, put your name back in the hat for a 6-speed and tell the dealer they can have your DC car back when they deliver the 6-speed... I bet they'll go for that ;)

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You should definitely wait the 6 months so you have alllllllllllllll that time to talk about it! ;)

16. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON

Let alone I would wait and maybe even get a chance to drive both to see which you really like the most but with most people ordering paddles shifts I don't think you will have that chance. And since its a comfort car I would go for the paddles.

17. GPtester

GPtester Rookie

Oct 2, 2008
    Italy, Bologna
    6 speed is lighter than DCT

18. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would go for the 7 speed dual clutch transmission because i think it would make for an overall better drive, and when in heavy traffic you can just put it in auto, then you don't have to keep putting it in Neutral, pressing the clutch down putting it in first... move about 15 yards, press the clutch down again put it back in Neutraland do the same time and time again until you actually get going again. It would also probably be worth more if you were to sell it because most people would expect it to have the dual clutch transmission on that car. And if you were to go on track days it would also be the better of the two.

There are many reason really why I would choose the 7 speed, but thats my opinion and theres really no point in me saying do this get that, because at the end of the day it is you that will be making the decsion and you will have to stick to it.

19. Soerenau

Soerenau Karting

Dec 26, 2007
    DK-4000 Roskilde,CPH
    Full Name:
    Søren Algreen-Ussing
    why suddenly the stabbing of the 400i ??? clean lines, wonderful engines,.. sic !

20. londonferrari612

Dec 6, 2006
    California
    I say if it's that hard a decision, flip a coin!

21. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    get the 6spd manual (3 pedal) before they're not made anymore.