Should I sell it? | FerrariChat

Should I sell it?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by flmondial, Sep 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flmondial

flmondial Rookie

May 17, 2013
    I have an 84 Mondial Cab red with tan with 348 wheels (still have original). Due to life being what it is (work, kids, getting hit by a cat 5 hurricane...), the car has been sitting for a couple of years in a garage (no hurricane damage). I took it to my local shop that does this sort of thing for a checkout and service before I get it running again because it's been sitting too long. I'm not expecting anything other than service but you never know. The shop normally does race cars and pricey exotics, so them doing this is a favor to me and I told them I am willing to wait. Long story short, it's been sitting in the shop for another year which brings me to my question:

Should I look for someone who wants to service it themselves and sell it cheap, or lean on the shop to finish the work, get it running, detailed, top replaced, etc. and sell it on BAT or similar? I'm thinking 25kish as-is and 35ish sorted. You guys have a better understanding of the market, so I'm open to advice.

Condition of the car is what I'd call a "10-footer". Looks great from 10' but has chips, etc. so it's not a show car. I'd post pictures here for reference on condition, but only after I detail and get it ready for sale. At that point my above question would be moot.

2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    This is a bit of a tough decision. If the car isn't running, I think you'll struggle with getting the $25K that you're hoping for. Honestly, you're probably going to be in the $15K-$20K range at best. However, you could EASILY spend a lot of money on the car to get it running and up to par again. If you're having a competent shop do the work for you, the $$$ needed to bring it back could exceed the market value for an average Mondial. It may be easier to find a buyer to pick it up in its current state and work out a price that's workable for you and the purchaser. There's also Beverly Hills Car Club if you want the quickest, easiest way out of the car without spending more money on it.

2cam

flmondial and Edgewood121 like this.
  3. flmondial

flmondial Rookie

May 17, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll call the shop and see what sort of timeline we are looking at. There were no issues before I parked it prior to the storm. They were just going to do the belt service and just check everything before we turn it over. I really think that's it to get it on the road again so it looks like I'd be better off dropping the $3-5k for the service and then selling the car running, but maybe not go through everything to bring it up to full retail.

4. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Does it start and drive??
    If so, change the oil, detail it, put it up on BaT with a reserve. Don't apologize for it having sat. Buyers will like it having lower miles. It will sell!! Buy another Ferrari down the road when you are ready.

SECONDLY: Yah, I learned my lesson years ago: NEVER tell a shop that there is no hurry in getting to your car! They will CONTINUALLY put it on the back burner, and then FINALLY, they will hastily do a minimal job and kick it out the door. I DO NOT CARE HOW GOOD THEY "PROFESS" TO BE. People are people, and human behavior is guaranteed -- no matter what they say, and how profusely they swear that they are the best.

dmarti02 and flmondial like this.
  5. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    I'm assuming you rolled it out of the garage and were able to flatbed or tow it to the garage in some manner. If you did actually start and run it for a little in order to get it to the garage, how did it seem to you? Yes you should try to get them moving on it in a "friendly manner". I guess there aren't any better service alternatives in your area. In other words, a place which doesn't deal with race cars or high-end exotics, but can still handle Italian cars. Can be tough- I have limited options in my area as well.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is a QV, I assume. If it's only been a "couple years" I would just do a good inspection and run it. My 328 started right up after 7 years sitting, and I immediately do a major service right after. But, if it has been 10 years, then a lot of things will need service. Post an ad on fchat, see if anyone takes a bite.