should I shy away from a euro spec 360? | FerrariChat

should I shy away from a euro spec 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by cranky, Apr 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    #1 cranky, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    In Cincinnati someone I know wants to sell me his euro spec 1999 manual six speed stick, 19,500 mi, 360 Modena for $85,000. I was hot to trot until I ran the VIN and it's a euro spec car.

Red/Black.
    Clean car fax.
    Service up to date.
    Well maintained and very clean.
    Sticky buttons repaired like new.
    Interior almost looks new.
    Very minor scuffing under front bumper and perhaps a minor scratch or two.
    Stock except for Capristo exhaust and very nice aftermarket stereo that fits well.
    Records not complete but back to 2010.

However, I read somewhere that even though there may be nothing wrong with a euro spec car per se, the value is at least $10,000 less than a NA spec car.

Thoughts? I don't want to pay $85k for a $70K Car...

2. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's valued less as a euro.. as mine is.. but it's the same car a us model for 90% of its parts. It's just as reliable as a US spec car without the emissions BS.. Rememeber that the 3 pedal reverses a lot of that "loss".

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That looks like a very clean and well taken care of car! BTW, that is not an "aftermarket" stereo, but the update offered by Ferrari a years back! I would make sure it has all paperwork documenting federalization, incl. if it is certified for CA. If you are not in CA, maybe less of an issue, but could limit market later on.

5. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    Well, I was going to run, but that gives me more confidence. Does the price seem reasonable? I don't think he'll take less. Seller I know through a friend and seems to be a straight shooter, no bs. I'll ask about the federalization/importing paper work. Nice to hear it's a Ferrari updated stereo! I'm sure the 3 pedal reverses the loss due to non NA spec, but I wonder if the seller has priced it down enough? Going to meet him tomorrow out in the country where he lives. If everything checks out I may buy, pending a PPI from either the dealer in Columbus, 90 miles away, or the local independent shop that claims they can work on Ferraris.

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I understand that you don't want to pay $85k for a $70k car, but the reality is that if you get a car with needs, it could easily take that difference in a heartbeat to correct a few issues. So, buying a well taken care of car for a little more, may be the wiser route, financially, although you may feel like you overpaid a bit - note that I am not saying you are, or are not, overpaying at $85k. Lots of flags that this was a well-loved car (all stickies done, updated factory head-unit - could have gotten the cheaper equivalent Clarion NZ503, but owner got the Ferrari branded unit - all the right signals to you as a buyer... may even have the back-up camera option, not sure). Good luck. If owner does not have much paperwork for the federalization, you should still be able to find all labels attached to the car - this would include a CARB sticker for CA - Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=CARB+sticker+on+federalized+car&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTxfKP8ITTAhXGQyYKHVBdAQoQsAQIKA&biw=1144&bih=701

7. Living4life

Living4life Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2008
    I'd rather have a fully documented Ferrari signed off legal import of a Euro car than a us version.

The 2000 euro spec we got came with an oem Ferrari roll bar, Enzo carbon seats, Ferrari 4 point harness, and less restrictions the us cars had. You can't even get some of the options we got on US versions of the 360, more rare, worth more.

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The euro is fantastic. Nice price too considering a 3 pedal. This car may have less miles then you think. Many odometers are in kilometers vs miles. Take a test drive and have someone follow you. Have car reset it's tripodometer. Right down mileage when you leave and return then compare to other vehicle that followed you. Perks of a euro. Euros have challenge race car headers. Yes. The same headers that are in the challenge race car should be on your euro. Mine originated from Germany. They have more horse power vs US cars. Downside. You can't get the variator issue taken care of from Ferrari because it's a euro. It may have been taken care of already. Check service records. Don't fear the Euro. 3 pedal for 85k. Go get it. HURRY UP!

R

Oh. Another cool thing is that gauges are in Celsius.

9. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Totally agree

R

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was chatting with a gentleman yesterday who sold his 328 and made $10-20k in the process. Now he wants a 360 and wants a 3-pedal.. but he said to me "there are none out there".

All cars will loose money. Every once in a while you find one that will appreciate. There is NO guarantee that this car WON'T drop in value. There's no guarantee that if you bought a US spec car that it wouldn't drop in value as well. If you're that worried about overpaying for this euro car.. what's going to happen with a US car? You think you can't overpay for that as well? The ONLY rub I can see in the US is emissions in a relevant state like California.

I doubt he'd budge. I wouldn't if I sold mine. If you don't get this car.. someone else will. And they're going to enjoy it. Do us all a favor if you scare yourself away from this sale, post a link to the seller so someone else can buy a rock solid car. :)

If it helps, I LOVE my Euro. I'm so happy she's not a US car with all the emissions crap and no precat in the headers. I love her so much I'm not going to sell and only add on. You get opportunities in life... :)

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's an amazing car for an amazing deal. If you found that in US spec, I doubt you could get it for 100. You need to move quick on that.

12. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    I would be careful about emissions specifications (in a Euro car)? Many States including Pennsylvania where I live; every year they hook a tailpipe up and check what's coming out of it. If it doesn't pass, you don't get a windshield sticker which means you can't drive the car. If you live in Ohio, I would get that check done BEFORE you buy the car to avoid a nasty surprise after.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Tailpipe sniffers are not a problem. I live in CA and my euro passes at less than 10% of allowable. It just isn't a problem. What is a problem as Curt pointed out is CA's laws about gray market cars; each has to be certified individually and there is no 25 year rule. Once it is done, it is done forever but a bit of a hassle to get it done the first time.

14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    The DOT is the one that authorized these cars to be imported because they are almost identical.tomstate side cars.

If its operating correctly.it will pass smog.

So glad I dont have to mess with smog checks.

15. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    If you're anxious to have the PPI (or subsequent service work) done at the dealer, make certain they'll work on a gray market car. I've heard at one time or another that they're prohibited by FNA from doing so, but have no experience with that issue.

16. magnus911

magnus911 Rookie

Apr 19, 2010
    Colorado
    Did the seller not point this out up front? That would piss me off if it wasn't mentioned.

Otherwise car looks great.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree with what you wrote but it could be a little misleading. Every state can set their own laws and CA has specific laws for gray market cars. Even if EPA and DOT say yes, it won't fly in CA unless it has BAR certification testing and a BAR label. There are only 2 shops that can do that testing and afix a label. And no, it isn't easy to clear that test. You will EASILY clear standard testing but the certification tests are different.

My local F dealer will work on the car. Even SF when it was still Ferrari owned would work on the car. I think this is urban legend.

18. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Interesting, thanks!

19. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    In my opinion, the most valuable version of a car is the one offered in it's original market... In this case the Euro model should be more valuable !! Furthermore, since there is no SAI (secondary Air injection) components nor pre-cats for the Euro car, it will be more powerful and sound better..

Best of all, it is manual and Rosso Corsa...

Don't hesitate for a second !!

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I went through this looking at a 550. So in practice not much difference, but make sure you take the Euro price penalty into consideration when you buy because you will eat it when you sell. In the case of a special 550 it was 40-50% penalty!

21. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    You can always ask for a better price because it is Euro car and not US spec, but over the long run I believe that this difference will become insignificant... Especially if you plan to keep the car..

Same story with F1 vs manual...
    I remember when I bought my 360 modena manual back in 2004 everyone was saying that I had made big mistake and at resale everyone wanted F1... I didn't care because I loved manual gearbox... Look at the prices of manual vs F1 now...

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've been trying to to use the "it's a euro so it's worth less, I'll pay 20% less than your ask..." on 512bbi's but everyone tells me to pound sand... :)

23. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I live in Cinci.

If I would have seen this car I would have already bought it :)

Where did you find it listed by the way? I gave up looking for F cars in Cincinnati-Dayton and ended up heading down to Florida to import it.

I spent over a year looking and never saw sticks this cheap. I'd rather have a euro spec so you don't deal with the annoying header issue the US specs deal with.

If you don't buy it let me know because I might consider it.

20% less? $68,000 for a sun 20k mile Manual?? hot damn.

I think 85 is a good price even as a euro spec...

**Update

I just started googling a bit and wow have 360s tanked recently. When I bought mine, I would have bought the car you posted for 85k without thinking twice about it. It still doesn't seem like a BAD price, but not "too cheap to believe".

I'd still take it ;) haha. Wish I saw that around Cinci. Don't see many F Cars around here at all.

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    That looks nice. I have no idea regarding the price because Euro (obviously excluding the UK) cars have the steering on the wrong side here and they sell for so much less.

Personally I don't worry too much about what you 'might' lose, if you buy new you will lose.

25. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    If you pass on it, please PM me the contact information!