SHOULD I SWITCH MY BIKE/PICS PLEASE | FerrariChat

SHOULD I SWITCH MY BIKE/PICS PLEASE

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by urraco, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I am a motorcycle addict and can't live without riding one , but lately I feel that I'm misusing my CBR900RR because I rarely hit the 6000 rpm mark , what I look for on a bike is handling and manouverabilty rather than brute power so my dilemma is : if should I get ridden of the 900 and get a Honda CBR 600 instead . has anyone ever felt the same or am I just a chicken who don't deserve a bike like mine BTW anyone has pics of a modern CBR600RR the one with the exhaust pipes underneath it's seat "italian style" if so post let me see it . thanks. ( I couldn't post a pic because it was TOO LARGE)

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #2 LAfun2, May 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. plaingod2

plaingod2 Rookie

May 3, 2004
    You need gas... :D

4. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    Yes ! Ryan you said it right : Low End Torque is what I'm looking for : thanks about the pix but, Do you have a pic depicting it's front face and tail? and about Il Mostro : I'm afraid of Ducati's maintenance and I have a fixation with the new CBR600RR.

5. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    #5 thadbrown, May 4, 2004
    I LOVE MY 600RR IT IS ABSOLUTELY GREAT. pm me if you want some info. i have a 2003 600rr. i put a jardine carbon race pipe on it and it sounds wiked going through underpasses. fun stuff. thad
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    #6 thadbrown, May 4, 2004
  7. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #7 urraco, May 4, 2004
    I'm seriously considering switching my 900 Fireblade into a 600 RR does anyone already owns one? what it's like? can you post pics preferably of it's tail ( just to see it's central exhaust pipe) and it's front also . because all pics depictem by side.

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Urraco,

Thadbrown already posted pics, so that takes care of that. Ducati maintenance is not really that bad. However, I am not going to sell you a Ducati. It is one of those things in life, if you have to ask, then it is not for you. You seem like you like the RR and you should buy it, its a good bike. Personally if you don't like your current bike, I don't see how the RR will improve the situation.

I have had Japanese bikes for about 5.5 years and I love them, and I own 2 honda cars and am big advocate of them if you want practicality and vanilla transportation. Hey we all need that sometime. However bikes are not practical, its a hobby and a passion. I buy bikes that stir my soul, and no Hondas ever do that to me. As far as the design of the undertail exhaust of the RR, its horrid. The guy who owns the local coffee shop that I pass every morning has one, and it looks good in black, but the tail is terrible and it looks like an exposed anus. The r6 is a way better looking bike, if you are buying on looks alone.

If you want a lawn mower or a dependable car, buy a Honda. If you want torque and don't want a RC-51 buy something else.

My .02.

*flamesuit on*

9. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    An important thing to remember since you are afraid of misusing your 900rr is that the new 600's are almost as powerful so you might find yourself in the same situation with the new bike. However, if you are set on getting a new bike then do it. You will not regret it. All of the new bikes, Japanese and Italian, seem to be light years ahead of bikes from even 5 years ago.

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Disagree. My 2002 750 gixx is not lightyears ahead of my 98 750 gixx. They are very similar. Ducatis from 5 years ago (748/996) are not such bad machines even compared to 749/999 today.

Your point is somewhat valid when you bring in bikes like gix 1000, or cbr 1000 rr, or the r1, and such liter bikes. As far as 600/750 bikes, they are not that diff than 5 years ago, imho.

They were fast then and could kill you, and nothing has changed. Sure there is fancier bodywork, and a bit more hp, but nothing to make them "lightyears" ahead.

If you disagree, come over, I will let you ride my bikes. Also my dad's friend owns a Kawa dealer, where you can test the new Kawa's versus his personally owned older ones.

Statements like the one you made, allows for squids to go out and buy new R1s, because the 98/99 yamahas are so slow. :rolleyes:

Nothing personal, but disagree with your opinion. :)

11. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    If i had to do it over again I would have waited a little while longer and bought a 748 Ducati but I was in the gotta have it now stage. 600rr looks good but it isnt a ducati. pretty much any modern bike is more than fast enough. just buy what you like. LAFun when are you getting your ducati?
    thad

12. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    I'll second the Monster advice. I have had one for 10 years and it is definitely the best bike I have ever owned for the kind of riding you describe

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thad, got it, and its resting under its cover in my garage in LA. Should be able to swing my legs over her Thursday, May 14th when I am back in town. :)

14. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

#14 sjb509, May 5, 2004
    Another vote for the Ducati Monster, or if you like handling, low rpm, and little power, maybe a Buell?

The 600RR will require more revs than your 900RR. The 900 was a relatively long stroke motor even by 1992 standards, the 600 will not even feel fast until you're over 10k.

If you want a full-fairing, the Ducatis would all provide low-end torque with good handling.

Or, you could wait a year or so and buy this supercharged bad boy...

15. CTEV2

CTEV2 Karting

Feb 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Charlie Thomas
    #15 CTEV2, May 5, 2004
    I agree with you regarding maintenance. However, the 749/999s are MUCH improved in the handling department vs. their predecessors. I've logged ample mileage on both, and the 748 steering feels much heavier. The 749, taking the same line, requires about half the leaning/countersteering force that the **8 does, and feels stickier at the same time.

The steering is feather light and after riding it for a bit, the 748 feels extremely cumbersome... Ducati did have about ~ 7 years to work on the new one, so they had time to truly advance the bike as opposed to the facelifting by the Jap companies every 3 years.

Here's a pic of me on the 2004 Duke 749R with my gangsta face.

16. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    my friend just got a CBR600RR, it's a 2003. he's had it for about a year or so. i have a little experience with the Yamaha R6 and the CBR. 600's aren't going to give you a lot of low end torque. if that's what you're looking for you probably want a bigger bike, maybe a GSXR750. i felt the R6 was a little more nimble but i think that was because i'm just used to it's more narrow frame. but the CBR is a great handling bike. my friend told me it can be a little sloppy in the corners compared to other 600s because the CBR is a little heavier. but maybe it's just his riding. other than that he really loves the bike. if i remember right he said that the CBR is a lot better at mid to high end on the torque. if the weather clears up and he rides it to school i'll take some pics for ya.

17. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    What I dislike the most about Ducati is: people saying they have mystique & heritage = they lack of reliability & high tech , they are just a V-twin bikes that sucks! just imagine if a Maranello had a V6 or a Modena L-4 .it's the same thing, on the other hand they are expensive to buy and maintain: in my opinion a bike should be : something to have fun with not something to take care of and be worried about, the only good thing about Ducati is they enjoy being Italian as Italy has a reputation of creating legendary beautiful machines, but that doesn't make them good desirable motorcycles to me.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

You are right Ducati sucks, honda rules. Thank you for using logic ;)

SOunds good. Its a free country buy what you want. I am smarter than to get into a pissing match over what bike is better and such. As far as your above post, your argument is so out of this world and ignorant, it is not even worth saying anything to you. I actually regret spending a few minutes and helping you out on this thread.

Ride safe and good luck.

19. CTEV2

CTEV2 Karting

Feb 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Charlie Thomas
    I'm not even sure where to begin...

First off, do you care about motorcycle racing at the top levels? Ducati is DOMINATING World Superbike with it's 999s, claiming 6 of the top 7 spots in the 2004 points standings. A lone Honda is tied for 3rd... Also, Ducati fields a MotoGP team, where they build a race-specific bike ground up...similar to F1. These machines are 6th gear wheelie, 230+ hp bikes. Posted below are pics of the Ducati race factory.

Their production bikes are electronically controlled with Magneti Marelli ECUs. Magneti, of course the Ferrari F1 electronics company, is at the cutting edge of motorsport electronics and engine control. Also, when you refer to how they're "just v-twin bikes that suck"...are you even familiar with the Desmo system? If you were, you'd find they're valve timing system clever. I'm assuming you're not, and suggest you read up on it before making ignorant comments.

I could keep going about Ducati's technical advances and trickle downs from competitive racing, but I'll address specific issues as they arise...as opposed to the vague and not well thoughtout "ducati sucks" statements.

Maintenance on a Ducati is hardly more than a regular Japanese bike. It's not like the maintenance difference between and F-car and a Toyota. Ducatis are very reliable, and want some hard evidence of them NOT being...before you start making accusations from the sky. The initial premium is higher, and if your taste buds can't understand the reasoning behind this, then you have more problems than I can help you with. Taste man, class! These bikes have soul, and are MUCH more special than the millions of gixxers seen everyday. I'm also a former gixxer owner, mind you.

What else?

20. CTEV2

CTEV2 Karting

Feb 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Charlie Thomas
    #20 CTEV2, May 5, 2004
    Some pics of these bikes. Er, these low-tech, middle ages bikes.

Also, what Jap company has a full carbon fiber fairing stock on a production bike?

What Jap company has magnesium cylinder heads on a stock bike?

What Jap company produces a bike with Ohlins or equivalent suspension all around (fork, rear, steering dampener)?

If you answered NONE OF THE ABOVE, congrats!

FYI, if you have to ask why Ducatis are special, they're obviously not for you.

21. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    LAfun, I feel I must give a bit more detail following your response to my post. Okay, maybe "light years" was a bit of an overstatement. But there are differences that make the new bikes worth looking at. It is true, as you have stated that the gixxer 750 hasn't changed that much over the years. However, since there is no race class (that I know of anyway) for the 750s because 1000s have been allowed to take over, there really isn't that big of a market for 750s. Kawasaki stopped making one, thank god since it was essentially the same bike for , what, 8-10 years or something like that. Yamaha stopped long ago with their 750 sportbike, and I don't think Honda had one, at least not for a long time.

I do believe there is more to new bikes than fancier bodywork and a bit more horsepower, 600s especially. If you put my bike, 2000 ZX6R, up against a 2003 ZX6R there will be drastic differences. Lighter weight, better handling, radial mounted brakes, fuel injection, just to name a few. I do think my bike is a lot more comfortable, and seeing as how I do a bit of commuting on my bike, that's kinda important.

True, older bikes are fast enough to kill a rider. Hell, you could die on a 50cc scooter. Now, I'm not trying to say that an older bike sucks compared to a new bike. Being the owner of an older bike I know that's not true. I'm not gonna run out and buy the newest, fastest bike and I don't think anyone else should. Ride whatcha got.

I wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer to sample your bikes, but I'd be too concerned of the "what if's" that could happen, especially on someone elses bike. I got cut off just the other day on the freeway by a guy that didn't check the lane that I was in. I'd hate for that to happen if I was on one of your bikes.

22. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Full coverage insurance, not a problem. Bikes are meant to be ridden.
    I agree with your assesment, and was only pointing out the fact that "light years" was a statement that was not really appropriate. Sure their have been changes, but with a good rider on a older bike, you can easily keep up with half the morons on the new street bikes that can't ride worth of $*$& anyways.

Good day.

23. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    LAfun, you're right about having a good rider on an older bike. Someone with the right experience on an older, or even smaller, bike would school a lot of riders out there on new bikes.

24. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    You see? that's exactly what I meant: If Ducati are such a state of the art and avant-garde technology, that takes the fun out of riding them. because that would make me feel responsible of riding on art. HAHAHHA anyway isn't the MOTO GP dominated by Honda?

25. CTEV2

CTEV2 Karting

Feb 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Charlie Thomas
    Ducatis, while state of the art, are very edgy. They're much more sensitive to rider input than any of the Jap bikes, which makes them very fulfilling to ride at higher levels. Of course, if you never ride at the more skilled levels...then I can see why you wouldn't enjoy them. The Jap bikes are so predictable...all culminating the in the CBR 600 F4 from '00/01. Besides that, your statement doesn't make much sense.

Ducati is high tech -> not fun to ride -> thus you're responsible "of" riding on art...

We're obviously thinking on different levels, and

MotoGP is dominated by Rossi, who would be spanking if he were on a Duke :) My point to YOU was that Ducati is a high tech firm from their successful efforts in MotoGP, and not a "stupid italian company who just relies on a heritage."