Should I? | FerrariChat

Should I?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by David47, Dec 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David47

David47 Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey guys, for the last few days I've been seriously considering a mondi that popped up for sale in my country. I'm from Slovenia, and there are less than 40 ferraris in the whole country, so a 26k eur/29.7k usd one definitely sparked my interest.

It's a '84 QV with 49k miles (80k km) on the clock. Originally from Rome, it has been imported by the current owner from Netherlands, where it sat for odd 20 years in a garage. Current owner bought it 3 years ago and covered about 500 houndred miles in this time. Both the interior (black) and the exterior (yellow) look great, car has had it's major service done and fuel pump replaced. Otherwise on 390mm wheels, original fusebox, clutch and all the original hoses and lines.

Would it be considered a steal at 24-26.000€, or should I pass?
    For the reference, buying a mondial from the US would cost me (original purchase price+$2000 shipping)*1.34 (taxes), while buying a mondial from any EU country would cost me (original purchase price+$500 shipping+flat $300 tax). So to end up with 26k eur total would mean finding a mondi in the US for 17.6k€/$20.2k or in the EU for 25.2k€/$28.9k

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    cars out of long term storage will always seem to have some gremlins. Just a question of how many and how big they are. As far as the money every car is worth exactly what someone else will pay for it. Good luck. A mondial is a cool little car

paulchua likes this.
  3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Go for it.

built2grind likes this.
  4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    If you can turn a wrench and do some of your own maintenance, yes get it. I would imagine it would be difficult to find a mechanic familiar with Ferrari’s near you but it would benefit you greatly to have it checked over before you buy it. At least make sure the engine and transmission are good.

My uncle lives right near the Slovenian border in Velden Austria. My wife and I drove to Bled last time we were there. Beautiful country.

paulchua and randkin like this.
  5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Just change the brake hoses, to make sure it is safe to stop, and at the least the fuel hose that connects the two fuel tanks, so you don't go on fire (I would change all fuel hoses). Some new tires would also make sense, for safety, the metric tires are expensive but available. Get a new battery. Put in new spark plugs.

Other things like coolant hoses will affect reliability rather than safety and can be dealt with over time. Some seals (shift shaft, cams, differential come to mind) will probably be hardened and you will likely have some oil weepage. Distributor caps, wires, water pumps and probably setting the valve clearances will be required in the fullness of time. Clutch might well have life left, depends how it was driven.

It does take lots of love and labour to sort the details. Depends how fussy you are. At the age of the car, this car or any that age, you really have to accept a rolling restoration idea if you want the car to be reliable and usable over the longer term.

If small failures and flaws will bother you, and you can't do many of the things yourself, it can get very expensive very quickly. But such is the case with any other old car. As long as you have some funds beyond the purchase price for the safety items, and some contingency for surprises, it could be lots of fun.

paulchua likes this.
  6. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    As a "non-wrenching" owner of an 85QV, I cant add any value to the suggestions about what to watch out for, already made. And in reality, I have had to pay a mechanic for many of those things to be done for both safety reasons and for wear and replacement issues that for over the 4 years+ of my ownership and 25,000 kilometers of driving, now about equals the original price I paid for the car. But that does include replacing the fuse panel and a cracked windscreen. I also opted to replace the metric tires with replacement rims from Superformance and a set of Michelins. The cost for that was equal to replacing the TRXs, but from now on, it will be far less as I do drive my Mondi a lot. I also think it gives far better driving comfort and all weather safety...my opinion. Oh, and do install the separate starter relay, it is a very inexpensive fix to insure your Mondi will start every time rather than being a surprise in waiting.

The real point I want to make is that there has never been a day when I ever regretted buying the car. I love the subtlety of the period design, the wonderful handling on the hilly roads in my region, the joy of hearing the engine behind, and in reality, the space and practicality of it having a larger cabin even if you do not need the rear seats. I have taken at least one week-long, several thousand kilometer trip a year. It is a true grand tourer. I never get tired or stiff from sitting in the car. It is as practical and easy to drive in the towns as on the road. Most importantly, the smiles per miles value is off the chart!

The cost of Mondis has stabilized and perhaps even dipped a bit recently after, finally, a run up the last few years. But this one seems still on the low end of current prices. With any older classic you have to pay to play. So while the cost of the "buy in" is an initial decision,I think the real choice is about the value you will find in long term ownership.

7. David47

David47 Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    David
    Appreciate all your replies!
    I've looked a bit into the running costs, and they actually don't seem bad at all - clutch kit at 350€, flywheel 500€ cast/1000€ machined, high torque starter 350€, fusebox about 600€ (but can be DIY and bringing costs to essentially zero), filters/spark plugs 120€, timing belt kit 80€, complete head gasket set 700€ (head gasket alone can be had for about 200€), complete bushing set (front and rear) about 700€, water pump 150€ (or 380€ with alluminium impeller).
    As of right now I've done a bit of oil changes, thermostats, countless filters, coilpacks and numerous sensors myself on various other cars, so I think the mondial would be a good car to upgrade that knowledge, while generating some savings on the labour.

Now, to the most important aspect - in order to afford the mondial, I would have to sell one of my other cars. What I don't know though, is wether the price of the mondial is attractive enough to warrant an underpriced sale of one of my other cars, or should I go for a slow sale and hope the mondial doesn't get sold in the meantime, and if it does, hope that they stay below the ~30k€ mark? Would really not want to repeat the Countach story, going from 50k€ to triple in price in just three years, and now some are happily sitting at 300-400k mark...

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Depends if you can readily give the utility of one of your current cars for a less reliability for a toy. It could take some time to sort out all the gremlins in the Mondial before you felt comfortable with its reliability. If that is not an issue for you than owning a Ferrari is certainly worth it. If you need the practicality then perhaps best to wait until you can accommodate a less realizable toy.

paulchua likes this.
  9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    ^This pretty much sums it all up.

David, I wouldn't go into this expecting to make money. The cars are at a point now where its unlikely that they're going to appreciate significantly in the near future. There are just too many headwinds against that happening at the moment. However, at $26K euro, the potential downside impact is minimal - especially when you consider what a modern sportscar would lose in depreciation over a 3-5 year period. The cars really are a joy to drive and well worth it to me.

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  11. David47

David47 Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    David
    Yep, that's exactly the one I'm talking about. He was advertising it for 28k eur at first on mobile.de, and 38k eur even before on a Slovenian website, then dropped to 26k on both. From the phone call it seemed like he's in a hurry to sell, and might even accept 22k eur...

12. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Another yellow one? Yes go for it!

13. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Looks like a great car for the money. Mine had a bunch of issues when I bought it, but I am a mechanic and I was able to do all the work myself. They're suprising easier to work on than you might think. Go for it, and enjoy it. I've worked on and driven many cars, but there isnt anything quite like a Mondial.

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It's a really nice car and for it's current price in the current market. If you want one.. buy it for this price!

However if I may.. The running costs are not realistic for this type of car. Have at least 3 to 4K ready. A good fuse box (not original) will cost you 700 euro. There will be many more things to do on this car along the way when it sat for 20 years. Front and rear wheel bearings grease do not stay good. If you were to drive, if harm has not been done already, will wear out the bearings fast! Old grease is not grease anymore if you know what I mean. A front wheel bearing if worn out will cost you. This is just an example.

A USA car will have the same if not taken care of.

I would pay 30 for this Mondial you will have some cash to make it good! and when you buy! immediately replace all rubber fuel hoses. They are ticking time bombs.

Do you know the VIN of this Mondial by any chance? Perhaps I can track down some history or pics since I know a lot of Mondial owners in NL

paulchua likes this.
  15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I would pay 30 for this Mondial you will have some cash to make it good! and when you buy! immediately replace all rubber fuel hoses. They are ticking time bombs.
    =
    If you would pay 30 for this Mondial if that were the asking price you will have some cash now with 26K to make it good! and when you buy! immediately replace all rubber fuel hoses. They are ticking time bombs.

16. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
  17. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS