Should Max get a suspension from races? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that Grosjean received a 2 race suspension.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And did wonder for him!!

crinoid and 375+ like this.
  3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I stand corrected, but he received a 1-race ban for hitting Alonso at Spa.

I'm not saying Max shouldn't be punished, just that there should be consistency in how these issues are handled.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  4. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Problem: judging your picture he seems to like it ;)

daytona355 likes this.
  5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    youre just a Ferrari/Vettel hater. blatantly obvious in your posting.

Seriously, dont try to defend Max on this. You will look like a fool doing so

crinoid and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    will?
    is....

BTW...Maldonado is probably happy by now that Max is attracting all the attention and YouTube compilations.....

Jeronimo GTO and crinoid like this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Romain received a one-race suspension for triggering a multiple car crash at the 2012 Spa-Francorchamps GP.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Right. So much wrong with this statement, let me help you a little:

Ham and Ros take each other out. That's true. Verstappen however, in a car unknown to him, took advantage. He was on a risky strategy managing the tyres (pretty hard knowing how far you can push a new chassis you don't know, with a Ferrari hounding you every step of the way), and won that race.

You forget he won Malaysia, overtaking Hamilton to do so (who had no issues with his car, and both where on tyres the same age). You forget he took both Vettel and Hamilton in Mexico and won that race, in brilliant fashion.

Brazil when he went from dead last to a podium in what, 16 laps? On same tyres as his teammate who well in front of him.

Max is very quick, and when he puts his head to it, can overtake like the best of them. He has a hot head though, and sometimes takes an opportunity without thinking clearly. The rate he was catching Vettel he could easily have waited a few corners and taken Vettel and won the race. He's got a few rough edges to smooth out.

Max gets unfairly blamed here for plenty of instances (as does most all who overtake a Ferrari). Silverstone last year, racing wheel to wheel (and coming out the better man) with Vettel...people here hated it. Hard racing, simple as that. He even got blamed for Singapore, whilst all he was guilty of was having a great start.

Bahrain was aggressive, but not just from Max's view. Hamilton actually turned in on him. So whose to blame there?

People here quickly forget that Vettel had the same issues, even in his 3rd year of F1, and he had much more time racing in lower categories. After a few talkings to of Christian Horner and other drivers, it clicked and he polished out his mistakes. We saw some of the old Vettel return last year. And look where it got us? Someone mentioned somewhere here that Verstappen is to blame for Ferrari losing the title. Please.

10. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    And as I said at the start of the thread the new penalty points system means you can't compare 2012 punishments to 2018. He was given penalty points for China, that's the system we have now.

Grojean also had seven 1st lap accidents prior to that accident. Had it been a one off he wouldn't of been given a suspension.

ricksb and Bas like this.
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ThePunisher, DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  12. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    RUBBISH..Tiffosi USA !..........I am neither a Ferrari or Vettel basher !
    I would like Ferrari to win, as would most on this forum....most of us probably drive their cars...there's the allegiance; but I want to see a race, not a procession.
    I want to see the Ferrari drivers race for it, and earn the win; and I would agree this is not a contact sport, MV needs to learn, and quickly.
    Sitting on Pole and leading the field for 56 laps, (which is what Seb appears to enjoys the most, and he's not alone), doesn't constitute a great driver.
    Having a young gun 3 feet off your tail at 180 mph diving into a corner......and our boy leaves a gap wide enough for a good racer to challenge ??.
    It is Ferrari that I support, and it needs the drivers to get the job done under all conditions of racing and from stout competition from others.
    Bleating about being overtaken, means someone isn't fast enough or good enough.........it is a criticism, not Bashing !

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Verstappen says China was life lesson

APRIL 17, 2018

Max Verstappen has committed to taking a step back amid a firestorm of criticism.

F1 legend Niki Lauda questioned his "intelligence", and even Verstappen's father and mentor Jos said the ill-fated move on Sebastian Vettel in China was "clearly poor judgement".

Verstappen, 20, is renowned for his exciting and aggressive driving style, but now in his fourth year of formula one, some believe he should "calm down".

"Maybe I should not calm down, but oversee the situation a bit more," Verstappen admitted.

"I don't think I necessarily need to be less aggressive, but maybe I am just wanting it too much.

"I have been quite good at overtaking before but, somehow, this year, maybe with the previous two races not going my way, I've wanted to recover the points and it's worked against me," he added.

"It's a life lesson and I need to learn from what has happened."

Speaking to the broadcaster Ziggo Sport Totaal, Jos Verstappen said he will catch up with his son this week and then attend the forthcoming races with him.

"In a normal fashion we will analyse what happened," said Jos. "But he damn well knows it himself. I don't need to explain it to him anymore."

Finlander and subirg like this.
  14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #64 TifosiUSA, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

There was no gap. Are you blind? Was a terrible job by Max. Really piss poor driving, hence the penalty.

You don't think Seb can pass? He obviously can and has proved it many times. Ricciardo was on much faster and fresher rubber thanks to a smart strategy move, the whole field was sitting ducks. Vettel got screwed in this race, first by his team, second by a SC and third by an idiot that likes to play bumper cars. Anyone who gripes at Vettel for this race result has an agenda, straight up. You're not a Ferrari fan, give me a break.

So, you dont think Vettel is "fast enough or good enough"? You checked the standings?

I'm sure he worries about your criticism, some nobody on the internet when he is literally leading the championship LOL.

15. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Max is very good but he has been involved with more clumsy crashes than Vettel ever was. He has 60 races under his belt, "lack of experience" is no excuse.

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree, the time as passed to make stupid mistakes every other weekend!

ricksb likes this.
  17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perfectly stated. I'd like to know how many championship points Kvyat and Max have cost Seb in the last 3 years vs. how many all others drivers have cost Lewis. I'm not leading to a conspiracy theory, but it certainly makes it hard to win WDC's when you have that sort of target on your car.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I think Brazil is a great example for Max: at the end he spun...although back then he got away unharmed
    So Max is doing great by being 100% on the edge without any safety left. Yes, you can be the quickest out there until you spin but actually the second quickest who has just enough reserves not to spin is the better driver. Max is always on 100% and as often as it works almost the same amount it does not!
    Problem is: you can do 10 brilliant overtakings that brought you absolutely nowhere when the 11th takes you out.
    I do not think it is a question of age, I think it is a question of mentality. Max is no Prost and he will never be. The problem today is that you actually can not afford to have DNFs as we saw in 2016 when a single blown engine decided the WDC. At the times of Senna the cars were not as reliable as they are today so if you DNF most likely your opponent had a DNF later in the season as well. Now not so much anymore.

And nobody blames Max for being responsible for Ferrari loosing the WDC but if it gets close at the end of this year he might be responsible in a way after Sunday

And I said it before: now Max does not have anything to loose but I guess the other drivers will remember his antics once he is running for the WDC and I am sure none of them will take care about him just the same way he does now.

daytona355, Flea7 and Bas like this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

He aquaplaned early in the brazil race, Kimi and others suffered the same issue running through the river....I think he didn't even ended up losing a place because of it. IIRC he lost the brunt of the positions due to a pitstop and sudden rain after that forcing him to stop again.

But you are exactly right on your last point: Other drivers with nothing to lose in a few seasons time may well remember how Max behave(d). Time to be smart now instead of crying then. IMO the kid has huge potential. Dial back the aggression a notch and he'll still manage all the overtakes but actually finish races as well. He (and Ric) together bring a lot of excitement to Formula 1 regarding their overtaking, but no one likes it when such overtakes end in tears. Accidents happen, not all are his fault but he's had a few avoidable ones happening, sadly.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Right. So much wrong with this statement, let me help you a little:

Ham and Ros take each other out. That's true. Verstappen however, in a car unknown to him, took advantage. He was on a risky strategy managing the tyres (pretty hard knowing how far you can push a new chassis you don't know, with a Ferrari hounding you every step of the way), and won that race.

Yeah ...again,
    Hamilton and Rosberg...DNF
    ...car unknown to him? ....give me a break.

You forget he won Malaysia, overtaking Hamilton to do so (who had no issues with his car(WRONG), and both where on tyres the same age). You forget he took both Vettel and Hamilton in Mexico and won that race, in brilliant fashion. (by ignoring the chicanes and cutting corners....brilliant ! ..LOL!)

Malaysia:
    Max passed Hamilton due to battery power unit failure. Hamilton was in a injured car when passed and through out the race. -160hp due to battery power failure.
    Kimi ...who had really good pace ..out with tech. difficulties.
    Vettel had engine issues as well. Grid start at P17

Mexico: (you serious?)
    Vettel with front nose damage
    Hamilton tire puncture
    Max cheated the corner to win. Charlie gave him that win. When I say "cheat the corner" that is an understatement. he went right through! He should have relinquish the position to Vettel. Again, thanks Charlie.

Brazil when he went from dead last to a podium in what, 16 laps? On same tyres as his teammate who well in front of him.

Don't mention the crazy RAIN ....red flags and many safety car coming out to help in gain from last. Ferrari out w/ inter. tires and ...2 Mercedes in front close to the end of the race. The way I see it is Rosberg & Hamilton was playing it safe to protect the WDC point. Max had nothing to lose in the pouring rain. The RB has a good chassis for it. To be honest, I was rooting for him. But again, the weather favored him.

Max is very quick, and when he puts his head to it, can overtake like the best of them. He has a hot head though, and sometimes takes an opportunity without thinking clearly. The rate he was catching Vettel he could easily have waited a few corners and taken Vettel and won the race. He's got a few rough edges to smooth out.

Max gets unfairly blamed here for plenty of instances (as does most all who overtake a Ferrari). Silverstone last year, racing wheel to wheel (and coming out the better man) with Vettel...people here hated it. Hard racing, simple as that. He even got blamed for Singapore, whilst all he was guilty of was having a great start.

Bahrain was aggressive, but not just from Max's view. Hamilton actually turned in on him. So whose to blame there?

People here quickly forget that Vettel had the same issues, even in his 3rd year of F1, and he had much more time racing in lower categories. After a few talkings to of Christian Horner and other drivers, it clicked and he polished out his mistakes. We saw some of the old Vettel return last year. And look where it got us? Someone mentioned somewhere here that Verstappen is to blame for Ferrari losing the title. Please.

Wow,
    I have so much wrong right? .....You have selective memory. Let me help you a little. See in red.

At the end, yes, .....an F1 win is a win. Every driver gets breaks now and then with position and wins due to other drivers misfortunes. In my eyes, Max is overrated. I'm not saying he's not good...but the overall package is overrated. As he is gets older, he will feel more pressure for results and he's turning desperate and reckless. It will become worst as I agree with Niki Lauda.

21. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    So, according to TiFFosi USA, we've already got 2018 in the bag ?
    3 races so far for Seb, won one, gifted the second, and made a hash of the third. Great !.......no point watching then.
    Hope you are right for Ferraris sake, but I'm not the one blinded by the colour red.

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Man, ....No one is saying 2018 is in the bag. There are no guarantees in F1

ricksb likes this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Funny guy, lol.

No battery for elton? Please. He used it all up trying to hold up Verstappen and got outsmarted. He didn't have a battery failure the entire race, since when?

Selective memory? You maybe, not me. Where did he cheat the track? Come on, show me.

As for Brazil, more selective memory failures on your part. Ferrari was on Wets. Mercedes was on Wets. Max was on Wets. Ricciardo was on Wets. And guess what...being fast in the rain makes it a lot harder than driving fast in the dry!

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Here you go. ...let me remind you. LOL...funny guy!
    And yes...Hamilton was lack of KERS when Max passed in Malaysia ...this is well known.

trumpet77 likes this.
  25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #75 Flea7, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    My mistake, I though I saw green tires on the ferrari. But the point is he had nothing to lose. the mercs were certainly NOT going to race to wreck. Driving in the rain depends on risk / reward. You don't think hamilton, vettel, alonso, rosberg, kimi, ...etc. can't drive as well in the rain??? They have more to lose man.
    Max was lucky not to put it into the wall. ....he spun and just missed.
    oh, another f'ed up strategy by RB by putting ricciardo on inters...Greens.