Should Max get a suspension from races? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That was the wrong year in Mexico. Max didn't cheat to win in 2017. And in 2016 he was penalized, and somehow Elton was not.

Yes max aquaplaned (different to a full blown spin as one could argue one is driver error). But he recovered. I never said I don't think the others couldn't drive well in the rain, just that Verstappen was better at it. Vettel had nothing to lose, he wasn't in the championship hunt by a long way

Max and Ricciardo had an identical strategy, both had inters/wets put on around the same laps. In fact Verstappen lost more as they pitted Ricciardo at an ideal time with the safety car and max much later meaning he was at the very back of the queue in 16th....Ric was much further ahead in I think 11th. Verstappen recovered to 3rd whilst ric finished 8th

2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

yes, sorry 2016.

Bas,
    I get it. I don't hate or dislike Max. I actually like him personally. (I can't say that about Rosberg...sorry to have met him)
    I think he's blown up to much to be this next F1 savor and I just don't see it. Being good and reckless is a fine line and I appreciate his aggressive nature at times....but he doesn't learn and this last race proves what I've been thinking. Even with a faster car with better tire condition he didn't need to take the risk both with vettel and hamilton. Where he went at Hamilton was impossible....it's not a passing zone outside. He again had the faster car...take him on the straights on braking or DRS...like what Ricciardo did to Vettel.

Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

fully agree on all those points. He'll be truly great IF he learns to pick his overtaking points better...In the other thread I argued the same points you did, his attempt at overtaking was never ever going to work, any driver worth an F1 seat was going to run him out of road there. And it was pointless because as you say, he was so much faster he was always going to take him in 2 laps at most. IMO he was so angry at that he got red mist and went Banzai, and Vettel was the unfortunate victim in it all. I'm a big fan of Max but he really ****ed up this weekend.

I wanted Rosberg to win all those times over Hamilton but I just can't get excited about him. I even forgot the other day he won the championship so shortly ago! And now he's a ''vlogger'' ffs...

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Max is in danger of following in the footsteps of some other illustrious 'fast' drivers e.g

Maldonado
    Kvyat
    De Cesaris
    Scheckter
    Brambilla

Any others?

daytona355 likes this.
  5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah. It's a stupid question.

tifosi12 likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I good driver always improves his racecraft. Racing is as much about playing chess as it is about going fast. Max is just fast. He will always run out of talent if he continues to think of the game as checkers.

daytona355 likes this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I wouldn't include WDC Jody Scheckter in that group. His first season was wild(Sideways Scheckter) but Ken Tyrrell straightened him out. I might nominate Michael Andretti though he lasted less than one season; plus it's difficult to assess a driver's speed when his teammate is Ayrton Senna.

Ferrari 308 GTB, ricksb and DF1 like this.
  8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Max adds a fresh wind into the sport.

I love to watch him race, my favorite driver.

9. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Max?

I thought it was Kvyat.

10. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I remember way back when Lauda was talking about Lewis as the guy who was "gonna kill someone" if he didn't get his act together. I guess he turned out ok...

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Agree 100% He's obviously a mega talent and if you look back in history there are many examples of some of the greatest ever being labelled as "crashers" early in their careers. Once he improves his race craft and gets a good car, look out. He clearly has the speed...Danny R rarely outqualifies him anymore he's very fast in his own right.

DF1, 375+ and Bas like this.
  12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Where did I say we have 2018 in the bag? I said you're ripping the guy who is currently leading the championship (fact) for a bunch of reasons out of his control in this last race (fact). I never said we have the title in the bag.

Seriously have your vision checked because you can't read either. You might not be blinded by the color red but you're clearly blind.

PS: English spelling of color and complaining about Vettel being "gifted" Australia gives you away...I'd bet my bottom dollar you're a British Lewis fanboy with an axe to grind against Vettel. Call em like I see em.

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Verstappen says he does not need psychologist

APRIL 19, 2018

Max Verstappen says he is putting the Chinese grand prix firmly in the past.

The Dutchman has been slammed in the media ever since running into championship leader Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari in Shanghai last weekend.

"It was not my best race, but I don't have to think about it anymore," he told Dutch media at an event at Zandvoort.

"I've learned from it and I'm looking forward."

Some criticised the 20-year-old's immaturity, aggression and even intellect after China, but Verstappen says he is able to learn.

"I will not be less aggressive, but I will look at a situation better," he said.

And Verstappen said he will not listen to critics but instead people he trusts, like his father Jos and boss Dr Helmut Marko.

"These are people who know about it and understand how it works. I do not need a psychologist," he insisted. "Do I sleep well? I always sleep well.

"I should have done it differently, but if you were to know everything in advance, you could change the entire world.

"At some point you have to look ahead, so I'm looking ahead to Baku," said Verstappen.

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
  15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Let him race, it will be his undoing.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Max reminds me of one of those minor league pitchers who undoubtedly brings the heat but then always manages to bean some batter in the head at least twice a game.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I hope in Baku next week we see a new Maxine, allowing himself a few extra seconds planning his moves, maybe even a few corners, rather than a headlong throwdown. Unfortunately, I don’t think the guy has it in him, I think he drives around, getting more and more Adrenalin built up, more and more anxiety to pass, and then just can’t help himself, a bit like being stuck behind some tit in a Prius trying to self police a road in front of you on your way to an important meeting (or really hot date) and you know you shouldn’t take him so close to the bend, but you find you just can’t stop yourself, and by the time reason comes into your brain, you are on the outside of him flipping the bird, racing headlong and head-on towards the SUV that you’ve realised has just exited the corner and is travelling potentially fast enough to clip you possibly before you can get back to your side of the road!

Finlander likes this.
  19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Outside of Jos there are good 'coaches' he could consult with to take an objective look at his driving. That is not a sign of weakness at all. He has skills to build on without a doubt.

Bas likes this.
  20. Keith Collantine

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Keith Collantine
    He's a great driver. He made a mistake or two. Banning him for that is crazy.

Bas and tifosi12 like this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..more like a dozen or two!!

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Max is good for the sport. He is faster than Ricciardo. Occasionally he gets red mist. He will learn. Not much different to how Schumacher was in his early career. Nobody gets it right all of the time. And he is still a kid, and still learning.

Probably a future multiple WDC. First with RB, then Ferrari :)

Bas and tifosi12 like this.
  24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't agree more. Hopefully he'll be driving for the Scuderia soon.

25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #100 Flea7, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    I don't know where you get that....young Schumacher for Benetton was never as reckless as Max. This is Max's 4th season.