Should Max get a suspension from races? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'll go with Niki Lauda's assessment of blame of 70% Max, 30% Daniel. I'll also state that I think Max did more than one blocking move..

And, my definition of a blocking move is to change your line in a defensive manner. After changing your line, that line should be maintained until turning into the corner. There should be no returning to your original line. That constitutes "weaving" and is not allowed.

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Max clearly moved twice to block. They were subtle, but there were two moves. Heck, it even looked like he brake checked Ric to cause the collision.

It's almost become a joke now. It seems like anytime they mention Max's name, it coincides with debris flying around on screen.

I don't think he is capable of changing. I think in his moments of stupidity, he is acting out of some kind of rage, which seems to override his brain. It happens in the moment, and cannot be controlled by thought. It has happened more than enough times now.....

daytona355 likes this.
  3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But a blocking move away from the racing line would make no sense when you are not allowed to go back to the ideal line...a blocking move would become a disadvantage when you are opening the racing line for your opponent and have to keep it open.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    This isn't a crime. They are racing, Max doesn't know how to defend he only knows how to block.

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Right! That's my point exactly. In IndyCar, this is well understood. It's a calculated gamble on the part of who's doing the blocking that you are giving up the best line in order to block.

6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It's an affront to the rules.

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I think that the DRS is a disaster....when you can open it you are so much faster that a blocking always becomes a problem when it is done so late on the straight...

Bas likes this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

A lot here are only pointing the finger at max. Not at Ricciardo who also had blame in this. Ask Rosberg how well Max can defend.

275gtb6c likes this.
  9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    OK. Discussing the use of DRS is interesting. Still, blocking rules need to be made 100% clear regardless.

10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But what was Riccis fault? Being much faster and having to deal with a car that is driving like it has a drunk driver using all the lanes? As said he lost a lot of downforce when Max crossed his line. Should he have backed up and rewarded Max for his tactics?
    No! The FIA is doing nothing about Max, Horner is doing nothing about Max so it is the drivers who have to teach him a lesson. Lewis did that 2 weeks ago and Ricci yesterday. The more often Max ends on the wall after his stunts the higher the chances he gets it one day...

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And they involve the usage of DRS and the speed difference resulting from that

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Dive bombing is a risky tactic to say the least. Max moved right well before the braking zone, Ricci made his dive...which Max covered (with cars width), at which point Ric thought Max was moving all the way to the inside. Simultaneously Max moved back to the middle again, presumably thinking ric would still be on the inside, not to cover Ric of but to get a better exit. Whatever Max did at that point was pointless anyways, except if he moved all the way to the inside, but he wasn't doing that in the first place. Ric took a huge risk overtaking Max in this way, Max in turn took way to big a risk covering the much faster Ricciardo. They know how both race. Max is famous for his blocking, Ric is famous for his dive bombs. Perfect storm. I said yesterday I don't blame either (racing incident), FIA gave both drivers the blame. Same outcome.

The whole thing happened at such a speed anyhow I find it highly unlikely Max could've done all that decision making by looking in the mirror and looking for his braking mark. People find him ''looking'' in the mirrors by watching the youtube clip on slo-mo. At 340kph:confused:

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At least he didn't take out a Ferrari this time!

stavura, daytona355 and crinoid like this.
  14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    OK. Sometimes. Your point insinuates that overtaking moves were never made before DRS was instituted or overtaking moves aren't made in non-DRS zones. They are.

I'm saying that allowed blocking moves should be more clearly defined. And, as I stated previously, they should be limited to one move and that move should be the line one takes into the corner.

15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think it was Monaco when Max torpedoed Grojean. From that point on, he has made a huge impact in F1... literally and figuratively. How many races has he not only ruined for himself and team, but for others? He's inserted himself into the WDC by compromising the races of those who are desperately trying to win something so very elusive. I'd really love to see a full detailed review of all the wrecks, points, etc that he's ruined during his tenure.

He reminds me of the year Nicky Hayden (rip) won his championship. I think it was at Estoril, the second or third to last races of the season when Pedrosa dove inside Hayden and crashed him out almost costing him the world championship. Afterward, it's "hey sorry." That's all fine I guess, but you can't give back what you took away. Max can't give Seb or Kimi and others the points he took away from his antics. He's become a total product of believing his own hype, writing checks his talent can't cash.

moretti and P.Singhof like this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    As Gilles once said " any idiot can block"

Lotaz, moretti and daytona355 like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes he did.....

crinoid likes this.
  18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Bas, i feel Ricci's fault was that he shoild not take such risks against his own team mate...but i put most of the blame of the accident itself on Max...he clearly moved a second time leaving Ricci with no place to go..heck i even think he braked earlier....

moretti and crinoid like this.
  19. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
  20. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I could've went through life not seeing that video.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    No you missunderstood me, my point was that DRS is a game changer for overtaking. The speed difference is a lot more than normal slipstream so when discussing how the cars are allowed to move when defending one has to think specifically how they should be allowed to move when DRS is engaged. It makes a difference whether you go into the way of someone 10 kph faster or 30 kph faster. So the rules should be specified for the DRS zones seperately. The FIA invented this mess to allow people to overtake, they should also cover them from being taken out by the one in front who is desperately trying to block the move.
    And the question remains: is leaving the racing line the one move or is leaving and then getting back to the racing line one move! That makes a big difference....

22. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I don’t believe he sits in the cockpit and schemes. I believe it represents his instinctive way of driving...that’s the problem.

The FIA ‘assigns blame’ by not assigning any blame. How many times have we seen obvious one sided errors result in no further action? The FIA is consistently inconsistent in how they treat driving penalties.

In the situation at Baku, one could assign blame to Ricci for simply being present...after all, had he been somewhere else, the incident wouldn’t have happened. On the other hand, if Max hadn’t made the second move, DR’s move probably would have worked...assuming he didn’t over cook the corner...which is the instinct Max needs and doesn’t have. Wait two more seconds and strike back when your opponent makes a mistake...instead of being the mistake that costs everyone.

Bas likes this.
  23. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    In my opinion the second almost crash was much more irritating. Max did not leave any space for Riccciardo and they wheel banged. But that was close to another exit. That was the time Horner should have acted to them. Perhaps he did but they did not listen. Anyway it was quite amusing seeing them fighting but it was not very intelligent. I think it was both their mistake and both acted too agrressive. It was for 4th place so nothing real. Yes some points for the championship but they won’t make that anyway this year.

Ciao
    Oscar

Bas likes this.
  24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    avoid any instagram comments like the plague. Full of people that are 100% in Max's corner and 100% on the opposite sides. Pointless reading that tripe. The same type of people write the same stuff on say a Vettel or Lewis page, even if they won the race without meeting anyone all weekend.

Finlander likes this.
  25. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Not directly, it he once again destroyed a clear win for Vettel by playing the safety car into the event at the perfect point for Bottas, removing the easy advantage Vettel had built at the front over the first 30 laps.

He’s a ****ing liability, and I’m sorry, but enough is enough of the little pissant. I getting to the point that i really want someone to hit him so hard that he gets hurt next time so he realises he is not immortal, and that he is supposed to be at the pinnacle of the sport, not in a demolition derby with a bunch of rednecks

jmillard308 likes this.