Should we be worried about keeping our cars on the road in the future? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Should we be worried about keeping our cars on the road in the future?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Jan 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #51 ylshih, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    We do not allow political commentary in the general discussion forums, no matter that you think there's relevance to your desired topic. 30-day thread bans.

Nor do we allow this kind of abusive language. 2-day ban.

Nor does his attack justify yours. You reported the post, you should have stopped there. 2-day ban.

2. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Pity that this interesting topic has derailed like it did.

F456M likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I too am concerned about this, but what's cool is new technology and enthusiasts pop up to create some recreation that often is as good as the original. (if not better)

I try to not think too much about it, just keep my cars in tip-top shape and enjoy them NOW. For who knows what tomorrow brings?

NE550, EastMemphis and alex like this.
  4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #54 root, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Based on Morgan Stanley's report below, 2035 will be a pivotal year where IC fuel sales would fall off a cliff to 2040. The pressure on manufacturers is real, and it is primarily financial as their IC unit sales will not be factored into their stock multiples at best. MS believes IC units may even compress a company's P/E ratio resulting in lower stock value. This will move companies towards EVs a lot faster than legislation can, and it is something that both management and shareholders can understand. It is the capitalist way.

However, I don't think legacy cars (like ours) already on the road will get affected enough as to make it impossible for us to enjoy them well into the 40s. The less tech laden the better.

https://www.morganstanley.com/ideas/legacy-automakers-electric-vehicles

SteveVT likes this.
  5. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    @root - I think this is about right. Car manufacturers are hard-pressed to invest in both ICE and electric drivetrains - it basically doubles their capital needs as the technologies are quite different. This is why Tesla - as a pure play EV car maker- has an advantage at the moment. For legacy car makers, there appear to be two strategies. 1) hold on to the ICE tech and keep electric investment to the bare minimum- essentially play out the ICE and hope for the best. This seems to be the strategy that FCA took- they are really behind on EVs. 2) Sort out kinks in EVs in early 2020s and then go all in on electrics starting in mid-2020s and phase ICEs out. This appears to be what GM, Ford and VW are doing.

For us gear heads, I don't think the prospects are bleak at all. Even when ICE manufacturing ends, interest in ICE cars will remain - it might be a niche thing, but that should be enough to sustain the market. Plus- at least in the US- I don't see any way they can legislate legacy ICEs off the road, except in the biggest cities. In addition, technologies like 3D printing are only going to get better, so parts may be less of a headache.

root and EastMemphis like this.