Show Ferrari on car lifts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Show Ferrari on car lifts

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RobertM, May 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boosted930

Boosted930 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rob Gordon

Wow. Those are some old TVs... :)

2. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    do you know what the ceiling height is ???

3. CYB

CYB Karting

Jan 11, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Chris Burch
    Right, my 2 F cars are not so new either, however, I would take them over a new LCD.......so to speak

4. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Some of you might know We are in the automotive service business. I have purchased a number of hoists over the years with some positive and some negative results. You do not need to purchase an American manufactured hoist to get quality. In the newest service facility we set up 3 years ago we installed Korean manufactured hoists. The catch is that all the electrics and hydralics are US made. These hoists have been in daily use for 3 years with out the slightest of problems. They were $2500 installed excluding the electrical which I did myself. That said I have them checked, lubricated and adjusted once a year. We of course use them much more than you will in a home/shop situation.

All hoists sold in the US have to meet industry standards and are so marked. That said there are some cheap imports that are not certified and stay away from them. As a state inspected facility our labor and industries department inspects and approves our hoists every other year. These units have passed with flying colors each inspection. Quality hoists will have cable pulleys that are sealed ball bearing units and (so far no fraying of the) stainless cables. The cylinders are smooth and easy operating with no jerks or drops. Check for the locking system and make sure it is trouble free and easy to use. Nothing worse than having a customers car up in the air and being unable to release the lock system and lower their car. I have over 20 hoists in my various facilities and by sticking with industry certified units I have not had failures or any catastrophic events.

Don't go out and buy the cheap units as advertised in most car magazines, with out checking for length of time company has been in business, industry certifacation and most importantly check with local hoist installers to see about service problems or parts avalibility of the brand you plan on purchasing. Then ask the manufacturer for a list of customers in your area and call or go and inspect your hoist of choice. Actually have a car put on the hoist and run it up and down a few times to see if it moves freely and smoothly. Make sure the controls are placed in a position that is easy for you to operate. The price is not nearly as important as quality and service/parts avalibility. These so called elevator/storage units are light duty not to be trusted with your exotic Ferrari's. The automotive shop in a local high school shop had one of the popular well advertised 4 poster hoists installed. They had a older Ford f-100 pick up on the hoist and while removing the drive shaft the entire hoist fell forward and collapsed. Upon inspection this well advertised brand of hoist was not industry certified and it just collapsed with faulty welds and fastners.

Hope this helps you make an informed purchase.

Howard Musolf
    1981 Ferrari gtsi
    Maserati spyder
    2 many brass era cars

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #30 410SA, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Nice paint scheme...

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #33 miketuason, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Ditto

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do you have anything left in the collection?
    Erik

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  12. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Very nice setup.