Show us your library or other cool collections | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Show us your library or other cool collections

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Rosey, Sep 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Correct, full chrome moly frame, all original nickel finish just been hand polished.

absostone likes this.
  2. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Seems a crazy cheap price I agree. Matthias Bartz's first edition Dino Compendium Is now worth much less I feel since the green cover new edition arrived.

3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    When was Matthias first edition book EVER as cheap as $280 either new or used let alone throwing in another 74 books as well ??!!

That auction is equivalent to a 488 being sold for the price of a used Mazda MX5.

I think they mistakenly put the decimal point in the wrong spot.

4. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Basically true, but often a good reason to buy from them. Having said that, be sure you have a plan for shipping in place. In some places (big cities, overseas, etc.) that can be staggeringly expensive otherwise. Don't count on much (or any, often enough) help or hand-holding from the auction house.

Sorry to say, but it's not unusual for big lots from big auction houses. Typically, when books get grouped together, the price per unit goes down, often way down. More than you might think, it's to the point of what the bidder is willing to pay for the one desired title inclusive of shipping. Everything else just sort of gets thrown in for free. This sale was no aberration. I have bid in more than a few where the results are essentially the same.

True, no doubt! But this particular example was certainly before (2019) that came about.

Not true. Believe me, I know. I paid the invoice.

Look this sale (or plenty of others) up on Bonhams' (or Gooding's, RM's, etc.) website. You will see MANY lots where the results are essentially the same. Bottom line, big lots of books result in low per unit prices. Often, very low. If you think it's possible to dispose of a large collection of books quickly and at "market correct" prices, you are likely very wrong. Off the top of my head, I can think of precious few examples (the Keith Martin and John Lamm collections on BAT?) that run even slightly counter to this conclusion.

readplays likes this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The car auction houses such as ones mentioned as well as others truly do not like dealing with the books. Only some special books are lotted individually, and even with those, these auction houses just do not care. Almost all insist on only accepting consignments that will be sold at no reserve. They might as well be running sausage factories.

I've been buying and selling various automobilia including books (as a dealer and a collector) with auction houses for over 30 years, and admittedly I have a like/hate relationship with them. I learned my lesson the hard way with consigning books with a couple of the big names....The couple of times I have sold books at no reserve I have gotten screwed, and I have seen the same happen with other consignors more times than I can count. Conversely, I have done very well selling books privately and directly to my clients. The only, and I do mean only times that you should consider or agree to consigning any of your property for sale at "no reserve" is:
    a) If you don’t care about how much money you could lose.
    b) If you need to sell quickly regardless of the results.
    c) If for some reason you need to show a massive loss on your financials.

Rosey and trashidelek! like this.
  6. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    Word!

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I was going to say imagine being the owner of that lovely collection of books.

For $280 or possibly less it's not even worth the effort to get them off the shelf, pack them into boxes and drive them to the auction house.

Rather give them to charity, donate to the Ferrari owners club or drop them off to the local Ferrari dealership and they can put them on their shelves.

Sharknose likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Ferrari dealers here in the States have a large number of books on shelves in their waiting rooms, all fully cellophane wrapped and NOT for sale! The local dealer has some titles I would like to buy, but.....

readplays likes this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Same in Melbourne, Australia- except without the cellophane. :)

10. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I believe it is part of the dealership branding package so all dealers have the same set of books, no doubt supplied by Ferrari with an appropriate profit margin added on.

Rosey and Lusso123 like this.
  11. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  12. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    If you go back and look at that auction, the "whole" collection was broken into different lots.

Now, it was still, by lot, respectively, insanely cheap.

I own 75% of this collection, as the gentleman who purchased at that auction, passed away, and as I look lot by lot at what I have, and the titles, it becomes clear he bought all of the lots. He must've sold, or someone went "estate" picking before me, but I have about 25 boxes total from what he purchased.

I can say without a doubt it is a phenomenal collection he put together.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    375+ likes this.
  14. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #39 19633500GT, Sep 6, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    trashidelek! likes this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I attended that auction. I was going to take a pass on it but Fred Simeone encouraged me to attend, "There are tons of good books in the sale". We agreed not to bid against each other so there were a number of lots(like Lot 22) that I missed out on. As it was I purchased hundreds of books at the sale.
    The collection was located in Oklahoma and Philip Kantor from Bonhams travelled there to inventory/catalog the collection. He placed them in very specific lots. The company who shipped the books to Philadelphia packed them willy-nilly and the Bonhams crew had a terrible time sorting it out(didn't get it all quite right).
    I paid for my lots and after loading them my car was riding on its bump stops. BTW the last thing my wife said to me before I left to attend the auction was "don't buy any more books".

16. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    Actually, your post brings up a tangential point. That sale was a bit of a bonanza for unexpected signed books. I ended up with Michael Schumacher, Rubens Barrichello, Luca Montezemolo, and others. If you think the auction company would check for that sort of thing and promote it to increase the sale amount, think again.

Gooding's Phil Hill sales last year took this sort of "bonus" into overdrive. Many of his books were inscribed to him by all sorts of people, had signed menus from various events tucked inside, even 70 year old notes from Luigi Chinetti, and so on. Once again, no one on the selling end, apparently, paid any attention.

Lars T., Lusso123, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    This is the Ferrari library of my good friend Jean-Louis Bezemer. Sadly, because of health issues, he auctioned of most of it about two years ago. He had a large living area with the wall cabinets filled with books, a work den with even more books and a cellar with rows of binders sorted by tipo. When I visited him after the auction I expected an empty house, but he still has a massive amount of binders, mostly modern tipos and formula one related, and his work den hasn't changed at all.
    He always wanted to keep his library intact for prosperity, but a several attempts have failed. His children aren't really into it, except for the personal stuff.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

audi_328, ggjjr, LVP488 and 19 others like this.
  18. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Agreed. It seems like that would be one of the pillars of an auction houses job (in this case).

Even a sloppy person such as myself did what should be proper, and I spent an entire day categorizing by name, author, ISBN, print date and special notes (ie signature or etc)(I admit it, there’s a method to my madness, but most would probably find my approach messy :)

readplays likes this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    What an amazing collection.

What are filed in the red blinders I wonder.

readplays likes this.
  20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    #45 Lusso123, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    This is exactly why I firmly believe that most of these car auction houses do a poor job and perform a disservice to consignors, especially since most of them such as RM, Gooding, Bonhams, etc. insist on only accepting consignments with no reserve. Sellers/consignors must take all the risk as well as shipping cost to the auction company, and then the auction co's. also take their sellers premium cut at the end. All for doing almost nothing. If they are not going to do a proper job selling automobilia, then they should not be in that end of the business at all. I typically supply photos and descriptions with anything I consign to avoid screw ups.

Full disclosure for my previous & next comments. I have previously consigned three high end models with Gooding for two different sales and accepted the risk only because I had very little invested, and felt confident they would sell decently. The first two in one sale sold well, but not as well as they should have, and the third in a later sale did poorly, but I still made a little bit of a profit. And for all of these models, Gooding wanted to take the photos which they did, I told them views that we needed, and I supplied all written text, which all worked well. But....as for one of Gooding's later Phil Hill sales, I also did extremely well as a buyer with a group of rare autographed photos, some were taken by sought after photographers such as Bernard Cahier, and Flip Schulke. There was no mention of who the photographers were or anything at all about the photos, and no images of the backsides either, which had their signatures, stamps and hand written notes. Hence I scored very well, and yes, I did feel a bit guilty and bad for the consignor. Other lots of his also went for much less than they should have. I saw many lots in that sale as well as other Gooding sales that sold poorly; of course there have been some high sales from them, but overall Gooding more often than not, does a terrible job with selling any automobilia. They have no one there specifically devoted to automobilia or who knows much about it. I have also not consigned anything with them since my last experience as a consignor, and have no intention to consign anything with them again unless they make all the necessary changes and improvements, which I highly doubt they ever will do.

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I remember that auction. Quite an amazing collection.

375+ likes this.
  22. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Mostly articles and photos. Sorted by tipo and for each tipo it starts with a binder full of general information, followed by information on each individual chassis. Usually there are several binders per tipo.

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Tipo ? I'm not sure I know what a tipo is or means.

Do you mean sorted by vehicle type ?

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

bigodino, Rosey and Lusso123 like this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As pointed out by others, the major houses do a slipshod job of presenting and selling automobilia. That's great if you are buying, terrible if you are selling. I've consigned lots to RM Sotheby's on two occasions and most of the lots hammered for giveaway prices. Never again.

readplays, Rosey and Lusso123 like this.