Show your design of whatever! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Show your design of whatever!

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Night life, Feb 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #26 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    those renders look great. how long did it take you to build the model in 3d?
    its strange, i dont usually like cars that look too "out there" but i actually like this design, its really cool. good job!

3. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Thanks man, its hard to do a pleasing "crazy" car. Usually its a love/hate thing. Perhaps I haven't found the haters, but everyone seems to love this one. Glad its going well so far.

The modelling in Alias took me a couple of weeks. 3?ish I would say. 4 maybe...

It was nothing compared to 13 weeks it took me to do my Le Mans car last term. Holy crap. Perhaps after that project, I just got really good at 3d Alias work... I'm normally a more hands-on kind of designer, but with our impossibly short schedules at school, its not efficient enough!

4. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    yeah its usually the way, takes you for ever to do something the first time, then its all 2nd nature from then on.
    most of my 3d has been limited to architechtual design, did a few renders for a mate who is an architec. but thats easy... walls are straight :)
    i wish 3d was as popular when i was in highschool, it was still CAD design then... not much more than some straight and curved lines then extrude them...

any pics of the lemans car????

5. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #30 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 27, 2008
    Here's the physical model that I milled from the 3D data. This is painted of course, but there are no decals on it yet. Once I finalize those, it will be much more complete.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    HOLY CRAP!!!!! thats awesome, an awesome design and awesome that you made a model of it...

can you please explain to me the process you took to make that real life model? i want that done for my designs, but i have no idea how to do it.

7. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #32 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 27, 2008
    Of course...

First, a 5 axis mill cuts your design into foam.

Then you have the task of sealing the foam so that it is durable and protected, and fitting all the parts you may or may not have made (Plaster, FDM, SLA, SLP, etc).

Then its just a matter of surfacing it like it were a real car, and painting as such.

The more details the better, as each material seperation and detail creates a more realistic looking product.

Like I said, I still have to cut all the decals and design the graphics to go on teh car, because without those, it looks a little too unfinished. I would like to try my hardest to make the BMW look like its a scaled down real working car, whereas my Maserati is more of a sculpture in real life, illustrating my inspiration and themes more than the actual end product....

8. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #33 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 27, 2008
  9. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    once again mate... thats just amazing. that lemans car looks a lot like something i would design, probably why i love it so much.
    i'm going to have to get someone to build a 3d model of one of my designs so i can get it turned out... awesome! do you know if it costs much to get the model made?

10. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Yes, it costs quite a large chunk of change if you have it outsourced by a vendor. But, at some schools that have machines, all you do is buy the foam (about $500 worth) and the CNC work is free. For students, most vendors will charge around $1,000 to $2,000 for the CNC work, depending on size and complexity.

Honestly, you are quite skilled to even creat what you have, so polish it off to the next level by going to school for it! Its a great learning experience, and also a great connection to the industry! For example, I did the design of that BMW on internship AT BMW. So I know they like it.

11. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    yeah doubt i will go back to school or something like that... although i might do some night courses in a few years. im currently working in mining so earning enough cash to semi-retire in 5-6 years... so thats when i will get the time to actuallly get it done, and a family friend runs a pattern making company with a 5 axis machine so that should work out ok... until then i guess i'll just try and get a friend to do a 3d model of them

12. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Sounds like you have a pretty good plan! Wish you luck!

13. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    i highly doubt it, but would you be interested in selling that model... not the design, just the model. it would look awesome on my coffee table... i really like it.

14. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #39 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 31, 2008
  15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #40 Napolis, Mar 31, 2008
    I like the Maser. Almost a Shooting Brake but more interesting. The Babe is a bit thin. Curves seem to have become angles...

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #41 Napolis, Mar 31, 2008
  17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I can just imagine what the inside views looking out are like, Jim.

Have you ever lost that deck to a Nor'easter storm surge??

Excellent place to have a g&t on a balmy Friday afternoon, I would imagine . . . . .

18. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    thats amazing jim, looks more like a function centre.... any photos of the inside looking out

19. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Totally agree. That is awesome, Jim.

Also... that g&t better be Bombay Sapphire and not Tanqueray. On the rocks, no garnish. Oh, sounds so good right now...

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #45 Napolis, Apr 1, 2008
    After surviving Gloria which blew beach sand and spray over the Roof and having the 100 Year Storm obliterate the decks I made the decks removable and built the sea wall to Army Corps Specs with 100 Tons of re enforced concrete and pyramidal structure tied into ground anchors. The Glass can take 125 mph continuous. It's pretty wild to sit inside and watch the Furies unleash.

The best part of it is that no matter how bad a day you've had waking up and seeing the sun rise over the sound puts it all in perspective.

We built her in 1985.

21. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Really awesome James.

But what type of gin do you prefer? That will really determine its historical greatness.

I think I speak for all of us when i say that I envy your opportunity for great things, and I'm glad you have impeccable taste. God (or whoever else lives up there) knows as a designer I would only hope everyone would be like that.

p.s. I assume she's already left for Bahrain. If you drive her around, please take some pics. I love seeing the 4/5 on public roads.

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    "My Daddy, he made whiskey. My Grand Daddy, he did too. We ain't paid no whiskey tax since 1792"

23. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    Amazing house, but even more awesome views-- IMO there is no architect that can match the beauty of mother nature. Obviously without getting too specific, would you mind giving a general idea of the location of this wonderful setting? Nassau Co? Westchester Co? Greenwich, CT?

24. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #49 Night life, Apr 3, 2008
    Just started construction on our nightclub it has been about 6 years since we remodelled so it's time

I have designed the interior to add a front lounge, we will be the only nightclub with a separate lounge playing House music and the club top dance beats

I have taken a few of the beginning stages, the old club was a bod in your face kind of club, bright colors bright light show a million things going on

The new club and lounge will be more subdued, earth tones more laid back feel but with kick a$$ sound and light show..:cool:

I will keep posting everytime I take some photos.

25. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    #50 Zahiba, Apr 9, 2008