Show Your Motorcycle | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Show Your Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by UroTrash, May 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ART360

ART360 Guest

It's the crash that ended my racing. It's turn 2 at Infeon, 1990. It was the AFM race before the National, and I'd qualified on the 3rd row (which was the first hint that I'd gotten too old, and should have quit, since in the late 70s and 80s I'd usually qualified on the front row for the Nationals, let alone a Club Race). I'd always had a gift for starting, I'd time the starter, get an average, then leave about 1 - 2 seconds early. Bike would start moving usually just as he'd start the rest, and I'd be gone. In this instance, I went from 14th on the grid, into 1st going up the hill, got sideways around the corner, highsided, and got to look at 40 - 45 of my best friends, trying to avoid running me over. One of them screwed up, and the picture is the end result.

I went on the track after that, but I didn't race anymore, just went at a speed that I could live with, not crash.

Art

2. RD3

RD3 Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    PA
    #27 RD3, Jun 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Man! You don't see that every day.

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Very cool. The full-fairing Laverdas from that time frame look great.

Is it impossible to get parts for it? Does it vibrate badly? I'd love to get one someday just for the whathehellizdat factor from people.

Actually, a long-term goal of mine is to collect an example of several great italian marques. Already have a Ducati. Find a tasty Laverda like yours or a Jota, then add a few more over time:
    MV F4 1+1
    Moto Guzzi Daytona or 1100 Sport
    Benelli 6-cylinder
    Aprilia Tuono or early Mille
    Vespa scooter
    Cagiva or TM dirt bikes

I'll probably keep my Triumph also. Resale on them is horrible, and nobody wants them anyway.

5. RD3

RD3 Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    PA
    sjb509,
    Thanks. Aprilia has bought Laverda and parts are now susposed to be available thru Aprilia dealers, but I haven't needed to purchase anything recently. Zanelist (message board) and Ebay are also good sorces for parts. A new Laverda bike is rumored to be out soon, but with the financial difficulties of Aprilia, it is uncertain. It doesn't vibrate bad at all, not like a HD or Buell. It has a parallel twin, so it feels a little more smooth than a v twin. With the D&D carbon pipes it has a nice deep rumble, kinda like an old Ferrari V12.
    Here are some more pics and info:
    http://home.comcast.net/~davisr33/laverda/

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  7. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dale:

I'll post pics of my 77. Dual disks, 70hp at the rear wheel, Kosman triple Clamps, 18" wheels, front and rear, very, very fast, but if you don't get too close, looks stock. Bring yours out to Monterey, I'll show you a road or two.

As for the Laverdas, I rode for Roger Slatter, when they introducted them in the US, won a race or two for them, then wadded up the triple, turn 8a at Sears, only bike every to end up on the drag strip. Broke an ankle on that little deal.

Art

8. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I saw the concept bike Aprilia introduced a couple of years ago, but I was put off by the proposed price ($30k for first edition, regular production $19k), and that it used the Mille engine. Nothing wrong with the Mille, but doesn't seem consistent with old Laverdas. It just looked like a nice Aprilia painted orange. Supposedly Baggio had approached John Bloor of Triumph to supply triples for a new Laverda, but it came to nothing. To me a 750 like yours (or even the older 688cc version), or an old Jota would be more traditional.

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    1999 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2,900 miles on it
    Original owner was Sergei Fedorov (tank autographed by him)
    FOR SALE

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yes, pls do. There is nothing better than Brit Iron for eye candy IMHO.

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

CAN'T be real! Where's the puddle?

:)

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #37 sherpa23, Jun 4, 2004
    Here's one. This is me starting the 998RS. I took the Parts Unlimited stickers off the bike so the Ducati Corse and Ducati Austin are all that are left.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #38 sherpa23, Jun 4, 2004
    This is one of my old street bike. I was just mesing around with it at the track for a couple of laps. I could never ride it that hard because the tires never gripped that well, especially on cold days (this is New Year's Day).

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You wanker. Look for the red rag under the carbs. I need to torque down the clylinder nuts. Geeze, what do you expect from somebody who, uh, well, uh, damn man, you do know that I'm never gonna look at my doc the same, don't you?

Dr "Bend Over" Tax

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I meant the puddle under the bike, not the one under you.

:)

16. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Here are mine (all 187 of em). For $45K I’ll send you all these, one 40’ container filled with fun and joy to share with your neighbors. You can start your own club or something.

PD

17. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
  18. honeybone

honeybone Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Quebec
    Full Name:
    Honey Bone
    #43 honeybone, Jun 14, 2004
  19. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    OK, I'll fess up. I have a Ducati 888-926 corsa, an ex-Leoni BOTT f1 Montjuich racebike, a BMW GS Adventure, but I have the most fun on a simple old Honda XR 650 on slicks. Sadly I sold the bike to a friend, now I am building a KTM 525 based supermoto monster (heh heh heh...). The XR is the only motorcycle I have ever owned which got me kicked out of an organized competition event and almost removed from the premises.

20. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    Reading Fairgrounds AMA Pro race

21. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Okay I'm having a little trouble. How do I post a pic?

22. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think I have it. The front plastics are Carbon Fiber. 99 748s

23. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    #48 macca, Jun 18, 2004
    This is my old bike - had to part with it it last year. 1984 Yamaha RD350LC/YPVS, with tuned engine, about 70bhp, smoky but fast, though put a lot less rubber on the ground than modern bikes, and weighed very little. Went to a good home though - a bloke who has at least one of every version of the RD/LC ever made.

Paul M

24. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    OK,
    I'll start.
    Here's my R1.
    520 chain conversion +2 on the rear.
    GPR Stabilizer.
    IXIL underseat pipes.
    Undertail kit.
    Tweaked forks.

25. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Here's my Titan.
    1997 Sidewinder.
    150 hours + airbrush work on the tank.
    Kuryakyn everything.
    Every available option from the factory in 1997.