Show Your Motorcycle | Page 49 | FerrariChat

Show Your Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by UroTrash, May 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Sorry for the double exposure here; still learning how to post photos. Here's my '46 Chief, and my '52 Chief Eurocruzer.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Here is a shot of me racing my ‘95 Ducati 900SS SP at Pocono International about 20 years ago. The great Eraldo Ferracci built the engine for me. The older I get the faster I was.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
  4. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    After a broken valve cover bolt that took 3 weeks from Italy and then 5 weeks on a trailer I finally got my 2016 Guzzi Stornello tonight. Met the trailer and rode it home about 10 miles at 35° in the dark. No heated grips or seat for me. 400 miles on it and bought it from a good friend who developed balance issues. My first impressions are that it's light, slow and fun. I bought it to ride around town and short sections on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's much closer to a scooter than a touring bike. It will be a blast. I think the last time I had a <1 liter. bike was maybe 30 years ago. Just super easy to ride at 400lbs and a power band like a lawnmower. Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
  6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
  7. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Here's my Honda CB600F or 599 as it is known in other parts of the world. First real bike, great to ride, easy, enough power specially when pushed over 10krpm, nice on fuel and did ok on longer trips. Did 6k in 3 months. But had a handshake deal of it today and looking to buy Suzuki GSX1400.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dkyranakis, WilyB and BoulderFCar like this.
  8. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 1400 will be a flamethrower.
    There are just so many good bikes right now.

9. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A clip from a recent Forbes article on the motorcycle industry. After a long slide, it was up 3.5% YoY.
    Who knows if their read correct it's a view anyways..

There have been many reasons postulated for the shrinking ridership numbers and flagging sales, from Millennials being more risk (and motorcycle) averse, to smartphone addiction to enthusiasts aging out of the market, and the dreaded “combination of all these factors.” But then, the COVID-19 pandemic hit and something very interesting happened: Motorcycle and bicycle sales started to climb, often at double-digit rates. It made sense on some levels, since anyone returning to work or life in general was avoiding ride share and mass transit like the plague (sorry) and many ex-riders suddenly rediscovered their mothballed two-wheeled conveyances - or decided to buy new ones. Indeed, bicycle and motorcycle repair shops have also been seeing brisk business.

But while the latest boost is good news, can it be sustained? And who is riding all these bikes? “Clearly there are return riders, people who have motorcycles in their garages and maybe they’ve fallen out of registration or they were were just Sunday riders,” Pandya said. As those riders started riding more and needing new gear, that would help account for the sudden uptick in aftermarket business at places like Revilla and Cycle Gear, which sell jackets, gloves, helmets, tires and so forth. Pandya said those businesses and repair shops have had some “exceptional months.” Those fair-weather riders also likely saw their motorcycles as an escape as well as transportation, Pandya surmised, but first they had to get them running and gear up. Helmets, gloves and jackets bring a sense of security while riding - as well as being a wearable physical (and mental) separation from other people.

Motorcycling has always been a bit of a socially distant activity anyway, so it’s not hard to see why casual riders saw their bikes as an escape vehicle from the grinding lockdowns early on in the pandemic. Also, Pandya noted that many cities experienced an unusual phenomenon unseen in decades: literally no vehicle traffic. Indeed, this rider took a crosstown trip one day in April and encountered a normally traffic-jammed Portland bridge completely free of vehicles - in the middle of a work day. It was such a stunning sight I stopped and took a photo:

Texas Forever and WilyB like this.
  10. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    WilyB likes this.
  11. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    sherpa23 and BoulderFCar like this.
  12. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    190 is a fat boy. Those are some trick rims.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody have expereince with the BMW R9T? Was looking at them today.

14. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I rode a couple of them prior to buying the speed twin. For me, it was a coin flip between the two. BMW quality, fueling and shaft drive is hard to beat. For some reason the R NineT felt a lot bigger than the Triumph even though I think it's only 40lbs or so. For me the Speed Twin was more comfortable because the seat is thicker than BMW's pop tart thin one. There are also two versions of the BMW. The Pure is pretty skinied down. The other one has great forks, double gauges and spoke wheels. You can't go wrong with the BMW.

dkyranakis likes this.
  15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I like the triumphs too. Really love the Thruxton Rs but its too focused for 3 hrs on aged wrists backroad rides, then find myself drawn to the Rocket 3, which is overkill in all directions. Ill take a look at the speed twin again.

Its the same wheel for me over and over, have a fast bike, feels like one takes too many chances so get a slow bike(sportster 48 now) but the crap brakes crap ssupesion twisty frame and so so handling feel too dangerous for the speeds I push it to, so move back to a "fast bike". Now like the 3 bears looking for one just right, lol. Maybe not fast bike but a well acomplished one.
    Even considered the new honda cb 1000, love the looks and a 4cyl japanese bike is a classic format(although have a 4cyl yamnaha from 86).

My thinking is to send the harley to florida as its all straight roads and mostly slow, and get something thats cool/acomplished for ct.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1217 BoulderFCar, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    I tweaked the Speed Twin a bit with some good shocks and fork springs. It’s not a flexyflier at all. I think the Thruxton is art but can’t live with the wrist load either.

some guys have some really trick bmw’s on the forum.

fwiw, I never rode the bikes anywhere in FLA.

Same old wheel.

dkyranakis and Texas Forever like this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah, florida drivers are scary,a nd no shortage of traffic, but for rolling down a1a at 30 a harley works. Was also thinkign of a Meyer manx just for kicks. You cant really enjoy a fast good handling car in flroida other than to pose, a hellcat challenger seems perfect or one of those bently things, so bike or a buggy as fun vehcile, Better to spend ones $ on a boat there.

The harley on twisty backroads is fun cause its a challenge, like riding an old vincent on the same rods would be fun.
    Capable moderns have their own appeal, and nearly all motorcycles are viceral by their very nature. I know the ideal do everything is the BMW 1250 gs, but theyre so fugly and asthetics count.

Most fun Iv'e had on a bike in the last while was a ducati Hypomotard in Miami at night. Light, perfectly balanced, viceral and full of feedback, its tempting but somehow not. Guess horses for courses.

Probably this is all just because I want a new/another bike for ct and one more capable but don't want to sell the harley so trying to self justfy, even though I dont ride enough for 1 bike, cause I like the weather to be just perfect and the roads clear..

dkyranakis and Texas Forever like this.
  18. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Going up A1A is pretty tough stop and idle stuff. I had a Vespa 300 that was fun. Easy to park in not a car space.
    To me, going for a short ride on something like a Harley or my RT feels like work. Just a lot of mass and a lot to be aware of. The speed twin is low and light and you can go two up.
    I think Hypomotard would be great and super fun. Not something I would buy but I agree with your point. What's not to like about small slicks and <400lbs :).

19. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    One other thing, which I’m sure you know, if you move the Harley to SoFla be hyper careful cleaning and covering. For some reason the bright work on them gets crushed around the ocean.

I can’t find the GS love either and agree that aesthetics do matter. R1250GS’s are everywhere here in Asheville.

20. TWRB

TWRB Rookie

Jul 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Zacharda
    WilyB, BoulderFCar and Texas Forever like this.
  21. TWRB

TWRB Rookie

Jul 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Zacharda
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Love those bikes, perfect form. After that confederate went all weird.

23. TWRB

TWRB Rookie

Jul 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Zacharda
    I like the early Hellcats more also. My 2008 has composite rotors also besides the carbon wheels, gas tank and the front and rear fenders. It was the last year for that model. They called it the Combat Hellcat. Hp and torque were rated at 150 for both. One thing that makes it unique is the exhaust through the rear swing arm.