Sid's View. An ongoing conversation about what's right and wrong with F1 and the world. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Sid's View. An ongoing conversation about what's right and wrong with F1 and the world.

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Hambone would not make it past day 3 of preseason testing.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I all read was dickhead this and prick that... well how did Hungary turn out for ya lol?!

Alonso hasn't won a race since 2013 and probably won't win another be for he retires. When did he last win the WDC? Ahh... 2006 that's over a decade ago and as a rookie Hamilton beat the current WDC so I think saying Alonso is the best driver in the field is more than a bit of a stretch. Wouldn't you think?

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Exactly !!!

Plus, everywhere he goes, he leaves a trail of deceit, manipulations and intrigues behind him.

Why some people still think of him as God's gift, I cannot understand.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IMO it varies by track and race by race. There's definitely no car clearly better. Ferrari brings updates at nearly every race and they seem to work. They're upgrading their engines when they can (and being accused of cheating along the way, because how else can a team produce the same power as the Mercedes unit?). In qualifying the Mercedes has the upper hand for sure, it heats the tyres quicker, and I think their qualifying mode just has the edge.

Race pace there's little in it. On tracks where tyres are punished more Ferrari has the upper hand.

Ferrari has extremely questionable strategist in their employment (how many times do we see Vettel calling the shots, and getting it right? How many times do we have Kimi screaming on the radio to just pit him, only for him to lose precious time in a vain attempt to try some terrible strategy, that never works out anyways as the tyres again never make it?). Pit crew is good but a few slow stops have cost us dearly.

Vettel's mistakes are analyzed too much I think. Yes, he hit Bottas in France. But oddly, what he was actually getting out of the slipstream and braking earlier, but due to loss off downforce still clattered into Bottas. He tried to avoid all that happening yet it happened. Germany I can't blame him...first to arrive on the heavily rained on part, went slowly...yet had no grip whatsoever. Photographers reportedly said there was a williams leaking fluid (which retired that same lap with problems, so seems some truth in there). Desperately poor luck rather than driver error I'd say.

But with Lewis not having made any significant mistakes, the points loss because of this has been significant.

NEP, stavura, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Sounds reasonable and well balanced.

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  6. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Fact is Ferrari won't be World Champion, it's an other lost season.
    Vettel: too many mistakes, strategy: too many mistakes, and not veru lucky with SC.

I can't stand Elton, and I hate to say it, but he's gonna be crowned 5X WDC this season.

william likes this.
  7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I disagree that its over, Vettel has made mistakes but that Ferrari is fast and Vettel is still Vettel- a fast driver.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  8. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    You're right Vettel is fast, and I 'd like 1000 x more that Ferrari wins. But Mercedes is English/German, Ferrari Italian/Italian. I don't think it's gonna happen. But I hope I am wrong! :D

9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    He is doing TONS with a sub par car, something most drivers in F1 can't do. They need the best equipment to be a good driver, Alonzo doesn't.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But what has Alonso achieved on a "sub car" that is supposed to impress us?
    Too often, we have seen him going out, throwing the car about in the most spêctacular way, then go on the radio for a mouthful of expletives, then park the car alongside the track, and make theatrical gesture to pretend he doesn't care.
    With his experience, it's no surprise that he can out drive his younger team mate, but there is really no sign of greatness left, IMO.
    I don't see him doing "TONS" at all, just bad-mouthing his car, and embarassing his team and engine supplier.
    Alonso is certainly not a driver I would want in my team ! Greatly over rated in mu view.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  11. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Much like you love Hamilton and I don't we can agree to disagree........thank you and good day

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    How many times have we heard elton smashing about in his car, struggling for whatever reason, and then badmouthing his car, team, hairdresser, dog, dad and anyone and anything he can while threatening to park it/crash it/retire or whatever. All drivers when trapped in a tin death trap like Alonso’s Mclaren would be upset and angry at the lack of performance, and the lack of opportunity to show his true talent. Course, he Recently started demonstrating his outright abilities in other series, very successfully I’d say. Elton would be too scared to tackle Indy, let alone whether he would do well or not.

Like it or not, Alonso is a class act behind the wheel, and just as the elton fans like trying to tell us his personality is nothing to do with his driving, the same works for Alonso. When he was able to hold off Michael in 2005 and 2006, he showed he had speed and ability.... Michael made mincemeat of every driver in his prime, but he found at least a worthy adversary in Fernando.

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    He's definitely blinded by love lol. He can't even acknowledge that Alonso is driving the wheels off that pos mclaren...EVERY TEAM PRINCIPLE in the paddock recognizes that and praises that fact, even Christian Horner who is probably one of Alonso's biggest and most vocal critic. He probably doesn't care for Leclerc either who is also driving the wheels off a backmarker car. Can you name any driver currently driving that has beaten Schumacher in equal or inferior equipment?

Alonso is a terrible, terrible person. So terrible Mclaren thought it frugal to pay him 40M for his services and return to Mclaren. So terrible in fact, Toyota took him into their Lemans programme. So, so terrible that the nation of Spain sees him as a national hero. So bad that Luca Di Montezemolo still considers Alonso one of the best drivers to ever drive for Ferrari. And omg, he's just god awful, they actually built a museum for him!

It's laughable at this point. But you know, I guess Hamilton has Bieber.

ATBNM3, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hahahaha, can you imagine an elton museum......and here we have the skirt he wore for the Armani fashion show in 2008. Here’s Nicole’s break up letter, with the ballerinas tears still visible blotting the words....... and here we have his mix tape of music, refused by every record producer in the world, a true classic........ here’s a map of Stevenage, note the barbaric slum he lived in, the wine bars, the four star hotels and eateries, my god, his dad only earned £100k a year as an IT contractor, how on earth did elton survive to rise from the gutter.

Here’s his sparkly collar, worn by him when Beiber visits.......

I could go on, but you get the message....

One main difference in elton and most of the other good drivers...... they almost all have class, elton has ANSOLUTELY NO CLASS

blessed? **** off, god must laugh his head off at the **** every week, knowing it’s Mercedes politics getting him his preferential treatment and favouritism, it ain’t nothing to do with anyone’s god

nietoale1, stavura and Bas like this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’m perplexed at Ricciardo on the one hand, Renault are hardly known for their investment in the car in this era of F1, and to date, they’ve always refused to spend money on a top driver, which in turn, really tells us unless they build a world beater, they are destined to be mid grid forever.

However, from dans point of view, I guess with no seats at ferrari or Mercedes coming up, and the phenomenon that is Max getting the real support (just like Vettel over Webber etc before), realistically, he could either re-sign, and get more of the same, maybe the odd win, but essentially just live to create exciting race passes occasionally provided the power unit doesn’t fail, or he could move to a new team, one demonstrating a strangely confident change of pace in offering top money, and be unchallenged number one in a works team that may be going somewhere, and likely to be quicker than the red bull if Honda don’t find a big step. There’s no fun being a fast driver in a **** car, just ask Alonso, and there is a chance red bull could be tomorrow’s McLaren.

I hope he does well, and it would be nice to see Renault able to get in the mix again, and seeing Horners face when smiling Dan walks past grid position 14 to his row two or three would be priceless!

16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    FTFY

:D

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I have a feeling that we are going to see a lot team tactics at Red Bull the rest of the year for Ricicardo. I.E. botched pit stops, changing PU components for grid penalties, called into the pits for retirement.....

I doubt we will be seeing more "Shoeies" this season

daytona355 likes this.
  18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    More of the same then

daytona355 likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    To be more precise, he built his own museum. As it has a karting school and Alonso made an arrangement with the local government to pay his taxes there instead of in Switzerland, Dubai or whatever, he got state funding. Now that the museum is built, he moved to Dubai again.

Alonso is an arrogant prick, you don't really know how much he is as his worst quotes usually don't get to the international media. But I agree in that he's still the best behind the wheel.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't LOVE Hamilton; I just think he is the best driver at the moment. There is no emotion attached to that.

My favourite driver is Ricciardi, and Sergio Perez is next.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Lotaz likes this.
  22. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Please take a look at his Ferrari years - what he did was rather amazing - go and compare to his team mates etc as you only go by stats. We got closer than we deserved to the title with him.

Best,
    Sammy

stavura, Lotaz, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Alonso may not have a personality to everyone’s taste, but his skill behind the wheel can’t be in question. None of the cars we produced for him were true challengers, yet Alonso dragged them around by the scruff of the neck and kept us involved far longer than we had a right to be. Massa was no slouch, but Alonso made him look ordinary (Massa lost a tenth of speed and half a second in a fight after his accident)

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think Massa lost more after Ferrari broke his spirit (hockenheim 2010) than the accident...

Alonso's problem to me has always seemed lack of car development/input. The speed has obviously always been there...no matter what car it is he will drag it over the line as fast as it'll go. That, and he definitely has a talent of joining the right team at the wrong time.

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Alonso isn't an engineer. The impact of a driver on development isn't what it used to be when there was unlimited testing.