Sig Cozza Today | FerrariChat

Sig Cozza Today

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I ran into Sig Cozza today at the Modena Motor Gallery Car Show in Modena.
    He was looking great! He was also alert and animated as he usually is. We talked for 5 or 10 minutes.
    His English is still as good as ever.
    What a great man enjoying old age which looks very good on him.
    A very sweet man.
    Salute Sig Cozza.
    Ciao,
    FGM Image Unavailable, Please Login

lineaTesoro, MK1044, staatsof and 5 others like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Absolutely.

Thanks for posting that Frank.

He helped me a ton for my book 2006-2012, gave me yet another hour at the factory in late January for various articles, amazing memory and precision, the voice of Maserati is truly what he is. Do read his autobiography, all 500 pages of it, I did, the Italian version this summer, an amazing work, amazing account from inside. There is an English version as well, this is now one of the most important Maserati books ever.
    Here a couple of very bad (sorry) snapshots of that meeting where he signed a copy of his book for me.
    I first met him in Monterey 2000, then interviewed him on Khamsins at the factory summer 2005 and it is safe to say no other manufacturer has a Cozza, not Ferrari, Lambo, Citroen, Porsche, Mercedes, nobody. When he came with Fabio to KHAMSIN QUARANTA in 2012 in Burgundy it was very very special for me:)

Huge respect Signore and huge fondness:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I first met him briefly in 1971 then again in 1978 and then pretty much every year there after.
    Ciao,
    FGM

4. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Nice to see that such a great man, a living memory within Maserati is still around sharing his knowledge
    Congrats Sig Cozza!

5. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Having known Ermanno for many years as well, I prefer not to show pictures of myself with him over the years. While he pretty much looks the same like nicely cared for Original Ghibli showing a fine patina, I on the other hand appear to have aged like the Ghibli ll that was tracked hard, grown fender flairs, and was attempted to be turned into a barchetta.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I picked up an autographed copy of his book - in English - for 30 euros at the Modena car show.
    Great price, but the air fare will kill you. :)
    Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The book is a great read, especially since I am friends with so many of the players that were involved in the behind scenes activities at Maserati SpA. To my great surprise, I was referenced couple of times in the book by Sig Cozza. It is truly an honor.

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I was not aware the book was already out in English. Just ordered a copy.

Ivan

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

10. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Was Sig Cozza the gentleman from Maserati that gave the fabulous historical presentation of the company at the Bella Macchina event in the Poconos in 2014?

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No.

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    No that was Giorgio (George) Mauro, he transferred in from Ferrari. He established the Maserati Classiche program.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    [​IMG]

Three "wise men" walked into a bar and immediately everyone was "toast". :p

MK1044 likes this.
  14. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for the correction. It was a great event, for the centennial. Glad I made it that year.

15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I am 80% through the book and it is very interesting and highly recommended. Actually a really great read. Hard to put down.
    He lets loose with some interesting nuggets of inside stuff.
    Like how it came to be that they went from the De Dion axle to leaf springs on the Sport 107.
    It was all about the noise level inside the rear cabin and according to Cozza he did the noise level test after a good customer complained when driving up his bumpy drive way which must have been very long.
    Another issue was brake fade due to lack of air flowing to the inboard brakes and being non ventilated. In high speed test the brakes heated up to over 400 degrees F and the fluid boiled causing zero brakes.The Girling man was called in and different pads were tried, but ultimately the answer was leaf springs and vented rotors with the brakes in the wheels where the cool air could do the job. Also it was engineer Coloti who designed the rear suspension after his success with the 250F rear suspension.
    It is also very clear that he and Mr. DeTomaso did not get along. Gee what a surprise.
    Everything changed the day the French marched in, according to Cozza.
    All very interesting stuff.
    We must remember this is all one mans take on matters.
    Like they say the winner of the war writes the history.
    Ciao,
    FGM

JulianMerak and staatsof like this.