Silicon fuel hose issue? | FerrariChat

Silicon fuel hose issue?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Crowndog, Aug 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Heard a rumor that there is an issue with certain known silicon fuel hoses weeping.
    Is this true or false? Has anyone had an issue?

2. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I upgraded to silicon hoses on my Fiat X1/9. No issues. I had that done. I will change the stock hoses with silicon hoses on my Jeep Wrangler next. I will do this swap myself.
    Issues I hear is the silicon hoses are a little harder to install (to pull over the connection) and you have to check the connection and keep on tightening the clamps so it does not leak. Once installed and the clamps are tight then you should not have any issues.
    Where are you sourcing silicon hoses for your Ferrari. I think if doing the same on mine but have not looked what company makes them.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have had the David Helms kits installed. I’m getting a faint odor of gas in the garage but no drip spots or puddles. I will have all the connections checked and tightened. Thanks for the reply.

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #4 thorn, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    True. Fuel and oil react with silicon hoses over time, dissolving and breaking them down.

EDIT: I didn't realize you were referring to a specific brand of fuel hose. I also have SRI fuel hoses installed in my car.

I also get a faint whiff of gas in the garage, but it's always after filling up right before driving home and parking; I've always assumed it was simply the odor of vapor relief. No leaks or drips noticed, ever. I've been happy with the hoses so far, but reading your post is now troubling me. I've just done some net searching, and couldn't find what those hoses ARE made of. Hoping it's not silicone.

5. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I replaced my coolant and heater hoses. I have not looked into fuel hoses made out of silicon.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Do you have any idea over what time period?

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The main problem with silicon hoses is that they do not seal or adhere to the metal tubes like "rubber hoses". Thus they are more prone to leaks and typically should be installed using special clamps. I would never use a silicon hoses for coolant or fuel. Why? There is no evidence that they will last longer. Modern fuel hose will stand up fine against ethanol and coolant hoses were never a problem.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't, no. Also, to be clear - I don't know that SRI fuel hoses are silicone, or silicone-based. They feel like rubber to me, but I didn't install them and haven't seen a cross-section.

FWIW, silicone hoses are also not a great choice for coolant. They're permeable to water molecules.

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I may be wrong but I thought I remembered that when the SRI kits where first introduced Dave explained here that he put a lot of research and testing into his “silicon” fuel hoses. I’m waiting for an email response from an expert. I’ll post the reply.

thorn likes this.
  10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  13. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #14 Martin308GTB, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    As far as I remember the discussions back then when Dave developed his fuel hoses, only the outer - orange coloured - layer is silicone. The black inner layer is different.
    I did install the crossover hoses last year and have the filler hose still on my shelf. He also sent me two samples of his coolant hoses, which I just compared with the fuel filler hose. The inner layer of the coolant hoses actually seems to be silicone. At least definitely a different stuff than on the fuel hoses.
    Quick and dirty comparison method: I rubbed my thumb against the inner layers. While on the coolant hoses, my thumb slides like lubricated, there's a significant stick-slip-effect on the fuel filler hose.

Robert,
    did you retighten your hose clamps some time after installation?
    Since Dave's hoses need thorough clamping of the high quality BREEZE-clamps Dave supplied. Maybe your connections need a bit of retightening, because of the inevitable setting effect over time? I retightened mine after a few hundred kms and no problem so far.

Dave should chime in. I just sent him the link to this thread.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

thorn likes this.
  15. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for joining this conversation Martin. I only have the fuel crossover kit and plan to do exactly what you recommend and just tighten up the connections.
    Did you readjust your washer jets to not squirt over the car with the new pump? I found that the increased pressure required this.

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That's reassuring, Martin. Thanks for chiming in. :)

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes, but unfortunately there's 'modern fuel hose' -crossover hose- on the market from a well known UK supplier, which shows cracks on the outside after just a few months in use. Seems, that this modern fuel hose doesn't even stand the environment.
    A few years ago I installed a modern filler hose -from a different supplier- which transformed into chewing gum after a few weeks. While removing I just tore it into two parts without much force. To make a long story short; there's an incredible crap on the market these days.

Filler hose from official dealer five weeks after installation:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Robert,
    yes a tiny bit since I could wash the engine lid with the new pump, But not the windshield with the car being stationary :)
    I adjusted them, that the jets still meet the middle of the windshield driving at 50mls./hr.

Best Regards
    Martin

Crowndog likes this.
  18. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I've had the SRI fuel hoses in place on my 328 for several years (filler, tank to pump, and cross over hoses) and no issues with leaks. That stated, a year or so after installation I started noticing fuel odor in the garage after fill up. I later found that the rubber gasket that seals the fuel sending apparatus to the top of the driver's side fuel tank (left hand drive car) had failed and I had seepage of fuel on the top of the tank. This was particularly noticeable after filling up and taking a spirited drive on windy roads. I purchased and installed a new gasket from Daniel at Ricambi which resolved the issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Martin308GTB, thorn and Crowndog like this.
  19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Has anyone of you ever smelled a Euro carb car sitting in an in-house garage after a longer drive? :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

Schulz308 likes this.
  20. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, my 69 Jag xke. But my 308 is efi now so don’t expect the smell.

21. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Smells like the good ol days. And dinosaurs

mwr4440 likes this.
  22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As of a couple of years ago - admittedly things may have changed - silicone hose makers stated that it was NOT for use with fuel/oil. In the marine world, at least as of last year, a boat with silicone hose in a fuel or oil line would warrant a "Must repair" in a survey. IOW, if it was spotted in a survey, you could not get/renew insurance for the boat until it was replaced with appropriate fuel/oil hose.

23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Rather than reading opinions of others most of which are incorrect, Suggest you look at the data on this extensive chart of chemical reaction to different materials and decide yourself.

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-3

Sillicone is not suitable for gasoline as mike 996 says. !!

Use a SAE R9 complaint hose, it has a very low permeability to fuel / ethanol up to 25%

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Like already mentioned. The inner layer of the SRI-hoses, which gets in contact with fuel, is not silicone.
    The outer layer seems to be silicone, what makes sense.

Best Regards
    Martin

25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I don't know what SRI hoses are made from, but it begs the question what the inner core is made from, only Viton and Nitrile are suitable rubber materials and these are available as standard hoses so why use a two core silicone / ??? product?

Best Regards

Tony