Silly Season -2021 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Silly Season -2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, May 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Oh, and by the way, Carlos Tavares the Stellantis CEO is a racing driver and huge motorsport fan, if I'm not mistaken he even raced in F1s (Boss GP). I doubt he would let go the opportunity to have their most sporty or luxyry brands associated with F1.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    At the merger, only the PSA Group (Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Opel, Vauxhall) was making money, and JEEP was the only profitable brand from Chrysler-FIAT.
    All the others were loss making. Thats the reality.

Now all brands in the PSA range share platform and powertrains. Alfa and FIAT will have to be included in that or they will be be culled, said Tavares
    Before too long, all Stellantis cars in Europe will be the same under different skins, and with different badges.
    I suppose that Chrysler and Dodge will do their own thing for the US market. Some JEEPs are already made in Italy .

There could be some arm wrestling in high places between the CFA side (John Elkann) and the PSA side (Tavares), but there will inevitably be some victims in the restructuration.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

Citroen, Opel, and Vauxhall are dead brands. the reality is Citroen is only known in the French world.. and that is not big enough to keep it going. Peugeot won that battle. let it die with dignity or make it a sub brand.

Opel & Vauxhall - AKA GM Europe ... well not much to say. last Opel i drove was the Calibria ... nice car... but that was it. Vauxhall We had in the UK about 6-7 years ago was awful... horrible ergonimics... last year I had a merc ... much better.

American Cars don't to well in Europe because they are made for the USA, not European roads. big, loafing engines ... vs. light and high revving... when you see a jeep in Europe - its a stand out, its so big. last time I was in Paris I saw a Jeep Cherokee .. it was huge. compared to the rest of the cars. it was crossing Pont Alexander III... huge.

Talaveres cant afford to be emotional about brands, its about $$$$ sell what works.

FYI - Fiat 500 in the USA has been popular, but I don't think they are ever going sell millions... people normally have them as a 2-3 car for the city, or running round ...easy to park etc.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Well, here in Texas, aJjeep Cherokee is small by comparison. We like big trucks and big SUV's.....some lift them and add a bunch of accessories. The bigger the better....at least that's the ideology here.

Flavio_C likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hummm...
    Figures for 2020.
    Peugeot production 1 200 000 units.
    Citroen production 717 000 units. sales in France 162 000 units. Citroen sells 3/4 of its production outside France
    DS production 43 700 unites. DS is a Citroen sub-brand

Opel/Vauxhall production 630 000 units, FIAT production 742 000, Alfa Romeo production 61 000.

BTW, Opel and Vauxhall are exactly the same cars, designed in Germany, but built in various countries in Europe.
    The Vauxhall brand exists only in UK and Ireland .
    Cars from different brands are made in shared factories in the PSA Group.

Some of those PSA Group cars are built in France, and Germany, but the builk comes from Slovakia, Spain, Portugal, China, and UK.,

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    And that's exactly what the European legislators want to ban !

But also large cars don't fit well here with narrow streets and restricted parking spaces.

7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    And this article says Horner or Albon would prefer he (Albon) land at Williams.

8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    According to AmUs , Lawrence Stroll offered Fernando Alonso an contract to be alongside Lance Stroll next year. Alonso didn’t accept it. It’s not clear why Aston Martin wanted to replace Vettel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flavio_C likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Doesn't make sense that...Did they really think they could get Alonso? Alonso is pretty closely tied with Alpine/Renault/Benetton. It's a move sideways at best. It's also not really a good look for Stroll to go up against Alonso.

10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It wasn't a good look for Stroll to go up against:

1) Massa
    2) Perez
    3) Vettel (he's leading in points.....still)

Hey, the kid is lucky driving an F1 car so that makes daddy happy regardless of his performance.

Flavio_C and william like this.
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Sky were speculating that Red Bull want Albon at Williams in advance of hopefully supplying them customer engines in the future.

pilotoCS likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That doesn't sound stupid; the more Red Bull can sell their engines the quicker they will recoup their investment.

13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    From personally interacting with that creature: Lawrence Strulovitch is very short temper!

Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Plus Alpine is making progress towards the front, AM is not.

Nembo1777 and Bas like this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Fully denied by Aston is this approach to FA.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/aston-martin-rubbishes-alonso-f1-offer-rumours-/6660515/

--But with Aston Martin set to imminently conclude a deal with Vettel, the team has moved to dismiss the idea that it wanted to sign Alonso.

A spokesman for the team said: "Lawrence Stroll did not offer a drive to Fernando Alonso, as has been reported in some media.

"Lawrence had lunch with [Alonso's manager] Flavio Briatore in Sardinia during the summer break. Lawrence and Flavio are friends. They have lunched together in Sardinia many times over many years. It was a social occasion, nothing more."--

Bas likes this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Per Canal+, Valtteri Bottas has signed with Alfa Romeo for 2022. An announcement is expected tomorrow.

zygomatic and Bas like this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    just as much chance to win there than at Mercedes, lol

stavura, ingegnere and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  18. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I feel sorry for VB just like I did Rubinho when he drove for Ferrari

Bas likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    CONFIRMED: Valtteri Bottas will race for Alfa Romeo in 2022

Image Unavailable, Please Login

E60 M5, 375+, zygomatic and 2 others like this.
  20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Russell to MB….Jeeves to Alfa….Williams? Alfa’s second driver? Mick?

Lots of questions left. Hope the Ferrari motor can deliver next year.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mick to stay at Haas it looks like.

A shame as I think he'd learn a lot more at Alfa next to an experienced driver.

E60 M5 likes this.
  22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t know what Bottas can offer to Alfa Romeo at this point.

Experience, yes, but Giovinazzi is not a rookie either so why not trying someone new.

ingegnere likes this.
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    And he’d be farther away from Mazepin. With a hopefully better car next year though, he’ll at least be able to create a gap between himself and his “teammate”.

Bas likes this.
  24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    +1

Sounds like they think he’ll bring some Mercedes-think to the party to help them out. Pretty defeatist attitude, I’d say.