Silverstone back in for F1??? | FerrariChat

Silverstone back in for F1???

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, May 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

  1. DF1

    DF1 Three Time F1 World Champ

    From Planetf1.com

    Silverstone back in the race to host British GP
    Tuesday 5th May 2009

    The ongoing saga surrounding the future of the British Grand Prix could take another twist on Tuesday when the North West Leicestershire District Council takes a vote on planning permission for Donington Park.

    After being handed a 10-year contract to host British GP, Donington has so far failed to deliver on its promises and Bernie Ecclestone has threatened to remove the race from the calendar should the circuit fail to turn things around.

    However, fresh reports now suggest that Silverstone is now ready to step in should a special committee revoke the planning consent for Donington.

    The Times reports that the Northamptonshire track 'has £40 million of financing ready for release' should Donington's hopes of staging the British GP be dashed at Tuesday's meeting.

    Silverstone officials are confident they will be given another chance after it was revealed that the British GP's position on the calendar is specified under the Concord Agreement with Ecclestone.

    'One team principal, who refused to be named, said that the contract demands specifically that five key races are protected as part of Formula One's heritage: in Britain, France, Italy, Belgium and Germany,' the story in The Times added.

    'The traditional races are also on a protected list in the Formula One constitution held by the FIA, the world governing body of motor sport. With France already falling off the calendar, though, there seems little commitment to preserving the history of a sport focused increasingly on making profits for its commercial overlords. Six of the ten present grand-prix teams are based within an hour's drive of Silverstone, while two of the three new teams expected on the grid next season - Prodrive and Lola - are British.'

    Meanwhile The Telegraph reports that Damon Hill believes Donington won't be ready in 2010 even if they are granted planning permission.

    "I am concerned that they don't have the experience to do this," he said. "They appear to be well behind schedule, their financing is not in place. I'm doubtful that it is a sustainable business model, which is why it has not yet been endorsed by banks."

    Hill, the president of the British Racing Drivers' Club, says Silverstone are ready to step in at any time.

    "Silverstone is ready to go. We're at the final stages now of our development brief for the £40 million upgrade of the pit and paddock complex. All we are saying is: 'let's talk about it'."
     

Share This Page