SilverstoneGP 2020 Pre-race thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

SilverstoneGP 2020 Pre-race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    635CSI, zygomatic, stavura and 7 others like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Hi Dee B*g!

Must have been scintillating.

Redemption awaits thee, go Hulk!

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    LOL! Perfect . . . :p

375+ likes this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Ham has a fashion sense that doesn't appeal to all. I am one of those that does not get his sense of style. If I were younger, I'm sure my girlfriend would like me to be more fashionable. lol

As for the Hulk, it would be nice to see him back.

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Wait, you are from the USA and don't "get his sense of style"? :p

6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

zygomatic, stavura, Robb and 2 others like this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Really should not watch F1 because of him. All respect lost. Ghetto ass wanna be.

stavura and ypsilon like this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Well it seems that F1 bubble doesn't mean much.

Previously LeClerc and Bottas violated the rule (that we know of), and now Perez.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Im not a fashionable guy. I was wearing baggy pants until last year. Then the gf got so sick of it and bought me skinny jeans. I still prefer the baggies, but I lost so much weight, I'm swimming in them. And I can't find baggy pants anymore. :(

Oh yeah. One time the gf came out wearing ripped jeans. I told her I can buy her new ones.

Flavio_C likes this.
  12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Hahah, yes. Let me be clear, I was not critizing the style of Americans, just that the most common thing is to spot a lot of people dressed like Hamilton either at the subway in NYC or in a shopping mall in Texas.

Baggy pants are sooooo 90's! :D

Giallo 550 likes this.
  13. DF1

+1 a member of family most likely brought it to him. Sad. Missing a race or 2 now and you are in the title hunt is bad for the team and season overall. Literally no excuse. Live in the bubble or leave the series.

subirg likes this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Bubbles don’t seem to mean much to many people - F1 or otherwise.

This is just a micro of the macro - too many people in general who either don’t care, don’t understand the risks or don’t believe. Some, I believe, even see this as a challenge thinking they can beat it.

15. DF1

Interesting assessment of Ferrari - https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12039034/mark-hughes-how-sebastian-vettel-showed-his-value-at-hungarian-gp

Mark Hughes: How Sebastian Vettel showed his value at Hungarian GP
    How Vettel's important strategy call from the cockpit in the Hungarian GP underlined another area of long-term improvement required for Ferrari as part of their wider rebuild towards 2022
    Last Updated: 30/07/20 4:07pm

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    John Elkann, the ultimate boss of the group which controls Ferrari, said in his recent interview that part of the reason the Scuderia decided not to renew Sebastian Vettel's contract was that the team is in the process of a long-term rebuilding project - and to do so around a long-established older champion was not the appropriate way.

The rebuild will instead be made around the younger talents of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz.

But the early laps of the Hungarian Grand Prix showed the value of the experienced old hand. Vettel rescued his race by overruling the pitwall's choice of tyre compound as everyone prepared to come off intermediates and onto slicks. Leclerc meekly accepted the team's choice and his race was consequently ruined.

The fact that Ferrari came away from Budapest with points for a sixth-place finish was down to Vettel's experienced call.

'Box for softs', he was instructed. After a couple of seconds of pondering as he made his way in, Vettel responded with, 'Softs? Mediums, don't you think? For the graining.' Ferrari acquiesced to his choice and thereby at least partially dodged a bullet for, as Leclerc subsequently demonstrated, the soft was hopelessly unsuited to the track, badly graining its left front around the Hungaroring's long turns in cool conditions.

Despite losing time in the pit lane traffic and exiting behind Leclerc, Vettel finished five places ahead of his team-mate, who was unable even to score a point.

The logic of going onto the soft was that it would be a faster tyre in cool, damp conditions. But Friday running - and all previous Hungaroring running with this tyre in previous years - had shown that the usual logic was made obsolete by the graining problem. It may have been faster for the first lap but thereafter was always going to be a deeply problematic tyre.

During Vettel's time at Ferrari he has often been heard to be directing operations from the cockpit. Last year at Spa during qualifying was one notable example when he was even instructing how the car should be moved in the pitlane, so as not to damage the floor.

Although Eklann admitted that the team has weaknesses in its aerodynamic and vehicle dynamic departments, he didn't highlight a weakness in its pitbox operations that has long been evident. Vettel has frequently become the de facto on-the-hoof strategist as an experienced and highly intelligent driver. This won't have been a role he has sought, but one in which he has found himself.

So does this mean that letting Vettel go is a mistake? Not necessarily. It means that the pitlane operations of the team needs to be seriously upgraded, so as not to need the experience of a driver to rescue it from bad decisions.

If letting Vettel go is part of the rebuilding process Elkann was talking of, then that rebuild surely has to include a root and branch review of every facet of the team and in particular its track operations.

Finlander, subirg and ypsilon like this.
  16. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    You'd expect the teams and team principles to monitor compliance with the rules.

Personally I think in Europe the risk is pretty much gone this year. Covid-19 as a Corona virus follows the same seasonal pattern as Influenza.

william likes this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Eh ? you haven't heard of the 2nd wave sweeping across Europe, incl uk? USA, what a joke they really messed it all up.

william and ingegnere like this.
  18. DF1

Australia winter = covid now spreading - see Victoria issues with it
    Europe = summer and spreading. Zero seasonal affect in terms of no transmission it appears. Its airborne and easily spread. Weather appear to matter little so far. More to follow of course. Knowledge base about it changing daily.

Sergio let his guard down it seems:

--According to a report by ESPN Mexico, Perez spent the break between the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 19th and the British Grand Prix this week travelling to his home country of Mexico and spending some time on the Italian coast. Some photographs were apparently posted to Carola Martinez (Sergio’s wife)‘s Instagram account showing the couple in Porto Cervo, Italy on July 24th. Further, he was seen greeting and taking photos with fans at a restaurant in Guadalajara, Mexico on July 21st.--

Nembo1777 and ingegnere like this.
  19. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The guy makes bank and dresses like a chav. SMH

20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Covidiot.

Giallo 550, william, stavura and 3 others like this.
  21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    There's no second wave in Europe (yet). Country's have been testing more which causes more positives.

Viral Infections thrive under (winter)conditions of low temperature, low humidity and low ventilation. That also includes rooms with airconditiong, which is common in the US. Those conditions accomodate the spread of viruses that can cause upper respiratory infections (including the SARS-COV-2 virus).

Seasonality of Respiratory Viral Infections
    https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-virology-012420-022445

22. DF1

He left the safety of the bubble and interacted with those who are not in it. His trust of others was the error or he does not fully understand how this virus infects.

william and Nembo1777 like this.
  23. DF1

Red Bull and Honda call emergency meeting

Red Bull principal Christian Horner has said the RB16 is “misbehaving aerodynamically“, whilst Honda are also concerned that their engine isn’t helping the situation.

So, they are going to sit down and talk at Red Bull’s Milton Keynes HQ before Friday practice at Silverstone to sort out a plan moving forward.

“It’s important now that both Red Bull and us have some suspicions and discuss the solution together,” Honda F1’s Managing Director Masashi Yamamoto told autosport-web.jp.

zygomatic likes this.
  24. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Sadly there is a second wave and it’s happening now. Lock downs already being reinstated. In the U.K. we have just reimposed lockdown on 4 million people In and around Manchester. Spain is losing control. Travel restrictions between countries are being reinstated. Health professionals and politicians are all declaring the second wave as started. That’s the reality.

william and Nembo1777 like this.
  25. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Imagine Hulk being third behind the Black Mercs! :) #hulksmash