Simple Poll - have you ever gone over 122 mph | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Simple Poll - have you ever gone over 122 mph

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Whisky, Dec 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Have you ever gone over 122mph on an open road ?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    ..........with a bimbo on my face...

2. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    170 in my 355 spider (with the top down) driving the open roads in NH & VT. Was racing my cousin in his modified 911 going up to Montreal for the grand prix. We stopped 4 times for gas for apprx 200 miles traveled in distance.

Theo

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    160 in my BMW M3
    160 in my friends Merc SL55
    183 on my Yamaha R1

These are all indicated speeds, which as we all know are always 2-5% faster than what you're actually going.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    183mph when I was 16yr's old in a '79 Trans Am with a 600+hp big block in it, 140+mph in my '92 MR2 Turbo and still had alot of gear left and another 10psi of boost to play with.

5. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Uhhhhh, I hope you had done extensive suspension work on the T/A in order to keep it on the road above 140 mph. Those monsters were a real handful and in the hand of an inexperienced 16 year old is murder. How do you know it went 183? The speedo certainly did not read that high and anything else without electronic tracking is just pure quess. And 140+ in an MR2 turbo? With 10 psi of boost left over??? Were you only running 3 lbs boost at 140? That is the only way you could have 10 lb psi left.............and only running 3 lbs would have a hard time lifting the car above 100 mph or maybe 110 mph if you have a tailwind, going downhill......

But then, what do I know?????

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The T/A had aftermarket analog guage's and I was the passenger not the driver. As far as my MR2T it was far from stock, I was running a bored .20 over engine, JE pistons, steel HG, lightened crankshaft and a T66 turbo with ALL the aftermarket add-on's. I dont have a pic of the T/A but here are a few of my MR2T and I'm gonna go ahead and add a few of my Lexus SC300 with a 2JZGTE swap with a T78 turbo that put down 310rwhp at a RICH 10psi. I'm gonna add that dyno sheet also but at 17psi I was around 430rwhp-450rwhp, 1st thru 3rd gear's were useless, nothing but wheel spin and I had another 10psi to play with there also. The only limiting factor on the SC300 was I was running stock 550's which are proven to be reliable to 550rwhp.

SC300
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MR2T
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Sounds real interesting. From your first post I was under the impression that the car was pure stock turbo. From what you say you did to the car I have to agree it could produce the speeds you say. I would still question the T/A but the MR2 I can certainly believe.

If you felt I was attacking you, please forgive me. I was posting an opinion of what a stock car might do. See, it only goes to prove......"What do I know"????

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I took no offense my friend and actually I'm to blame for not posting more info with my first post. FYI the stock MR2T is a proven 140mph car and as you can tell I was pushing my luck anyway so that's why I did not push my MR2T further. When I did that 140+mph I got flack from my other MR2 buddie's for "Damn man what were you thinking" LOL. I had to pull over and wait for them to catch up. Anyway that was year's ago and I have since grown up you could say.

9. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Yes, 190Mph in a Testarossa on the German Autobahn where it is perfectly legal and perfectly normal.

No, not in the US where you never know what lies on the roads, where the next pothole is and what some drivers are doing.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Friend had a Porsche 930Turbo in the 1980's and a horse farm in culpepper virginia (between DC and Charlottesville). his driveway was about 2 miles long...

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Singing; Do wa ditty, ditty dum ditty day...

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ...and where you were lucky that no LKW was pulling out in front of you. :)

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    looks like we're just a bunch of law breakers

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    At least one time was legal - Was on the Autobahn.
    A Mondial 3.2 with a tubi will easily pull to the redline in every gear and feel solidly planted - you'll be deafened, but moving quickly.

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    never had that problem. Ini 1990 I had a East German in a Trabbi (going 80Km/h) pull out on A5 (6 lanes), pull out into the left lane without looking while I was coming at 170Km/h in my BMW Z1. Flatspotted those tires and came within an inch of his bumper. Never had an LKW do that. They know how to judge speed.

BTW driving this fast on any roads in the US other than the desert, would be looking into death. Nobody here knows how to judge speed of upcoming traffic.

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That set of flatspotted tires cost more than the whole Trabi.

17. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Never exceeded the posted limit. Cripes! My nose just grew a centimeter.

18. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Only on a closed road under controlled conditions. :)

19. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    ...as Trabbis are made out of flatspotted tires...;)

20. de993

de993 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    #120 de993, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I believe you with the MR2, but the T/A.... nah, I ain't buyin it.
    163 MAYBE, 153 yes, but 183, nope.

22. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    I've gone over 122 MPH many times in many different cars. The most memorable was in a 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302. At those speeds, "God plays checkers with your car," and you could also actually watch the gas gauge move. VERY scary.

23. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Since the poster asks about "open road" speed in excess of 122 mph, I will not get into my race course speeds, like Daytona, which of course are much much higher. In fact, I think I've had cool down laps on some tracks higher than 122.

As for open road speed, how about in the first Cannonball Baker race from New York City to Los Angeles with the needle of our driveaway Cadillac buried (over 120) the entire way except for gas stops and 6 police stops, including one at gunpoint. Elapsed time 36 hours and 54 minutes. Came in third, missed second place by 9 minutes. Dan Gurney and Brock Yates won in a Ferrari Daytona, hitting 176 mph at one point.

Also, picked up a new Turbo at the Porsche factory in Stuttgart and had it up to 150 within five minutes of taking delivery--in a snowstorm! I've been over that speed on open roads several times, but none quite as memorable as that particular experience.

24. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2006
    near Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Around 130mph several times on the Autobahn in a Mercedes 190E. I was a soldier stationed in Vilseck. The car was a heck of a bargain. I paid another soldier $460 bucks for it.

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    countless times. that is not even really that fast. its just costly.