SIREN BATTERY DIY | FerrariChat

SIREN BATTERY DIY

Discussion in '348/355' started by greybeast, Mar 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Dreaded center dash red led light issue solved.

My car is a 1997. The light came on about 2 years ago.

The siren contains a rechargeable nicad battery which corrodes and eventually fails, triggering the light. From what i have read, some of the batteries are hardwired to the circuit board. Mine was not. I sourced a battery from a UK company called ESP SPecial batteries, ltd. part number is ESP-7-46-722D, and it should be fitted with a con0004 connector.

Not a hard job. Phillips screwdriver, 22mm socket, floor jack and 11mm wrench and some rtv silicone is all you will need.

First, remove the left front wheel to access the wheel well panels. Screw locations shown. Remove the lower plate before the wheel well piece.

2. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
  3. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Once you have the siren out you will need to access the screws set into these channels in the back of the siren. I did this by screwing a drywall screw into the sealant and pulling it out several times until the channels were clear. After removing the screws the housing comes apart easily

Three screws hold the circuit board and the battery cover secure. Once you remove them you should be able to see the battery come free
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

4. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
  5. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
  6. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    After securing the board and reassembling the housing, i sealed the channels with RTV then reversed the disassebly process to reinstall the siren.

The company I ordered the battery from was very responsive and their product fits the application well. Total cost was around $25 bucks. Ferrari wants you to buy a new siren assembly for $300 I am told. And I have read the corvette siren poses difficulties with wiring, as the connector is different. Hope this helps some of you guys!!

Vic
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

krazykarguy and Qavion like this.
  7. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Gee I wish these instructions were around when I did mine. Great write up!!. It is a pretty easy job really

8. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Haha thanks.

9. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
  10. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    very good post following on from my experience. Didn't know you could order the battery with the proper connector. i had to re-use my old one, the negative side was corroded like yours, but it still worked.

11. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    I was also planning on reusing the connector but somehow stumbled on the one they sell. As a courtesy they fitted it to the battery at no cost. Saved me the trouble of soldering it and looks more original.

12. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
  13. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Hey man. Glad to help. I’m no mechanic but if there’s anything i can do to help demystify these vehicles it’s only going to help current owners to enjoy their cars more and maybe even improve the pool of potential buyers willing to take the plunge when we’re ready to move on. Win-win the way i see it.

Lionworks Auto likes this.
  14. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Removed my alarm today, 96 355, and it looks identical to yours, except the number on the sticker is slightly different. The screws did not look like they were removable. They werent phillips or allen, very weird looking. Mine is working fine so I decided to leave it alone. Maybe mine has been replaced with a later model alarm that doesnt come apart.

15. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
  16. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    No harm in trying to clean it up and see if it will work. Might just be surface corrosion! :)

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    search corvette siren as replacement. A bunch of people claimed to have used those.

18. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The wire traces on the PCB by the resistors are corroded so badly that they have lifted off the board.

There may be no harm in trying, but I fear that the potential of success is in the low-single-digit percentile...

19. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Ferrparts has one listed on ebay for 250.00

20. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Its in th diy sticky but nit sure if the link works

22. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    It looks fine....a little makeup conceals everything

23. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Just put it in the dishwasher. It will clean right up.

Don't forget the 'pot scrubber' function.